Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 03:43 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,174,631 times

Advertisements

I have the first generation of RDX, there is no reliability issue with the Turbo 4. It has a timing chain as well and many 07 models have well over 100k miles.

The bad thing is that the engine is very thirsty, you are lucky to get 20-22 mph highway, and city is much much worse.

I suggest getting the second gen RDX with the V6. It is smoother and much better mileage, but you don't get the SH-AWD, just the same AWD system from CRV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 07:27 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,058,960 times
We recently went down from a Pilot to a 12 crv exl w/ awd. The pilot was a lease that was over, didn't need one that big anymore and wanted better mpg. The crv has averaged 28-30 on each tank regardless of driving type which was a big improvement. Correct that its not a driver's vehicle but has all the options we wanted and has proved quite comfortable considering its size. We actually went for a certified model to grab the longer warranty then new and ours only had 16k miles so we are covered for quite some time. Guess like anything its what fills most of your needs that proves the best choice. So drive all you are considering and compare the pros and cons to pick the winner.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:08 PM
gag gag started this thread

683 posts, read 1,424,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
I have the first generation of RDX, there is no reliability issue with the Turbo 4. It has a timing chain as well and many 07 models have well over 100k miles.

The bad thing is that the engine is very thirsty, you are lucky to get 20-22 mph highway, and city is much much worse.

I suggest getting the second gen RDX with the V6. It is smoother and much better mileage, but you don't get the SH-AWD, just the same AWD system from CRV.
Thanks, gas mileage is important to us, so looks like RDX is probably out.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
We recently went down from a Pilot to a 12 crv exl w/ awd. The pilot was a lease that was over, didn't need one that big anymore and wanted better mpg. The crv has averaged 28-30 on each tank regardless of driving type which was a big improvement. Correct that its not a driver's vehicle but has all the options we wanted and has proved quite comfortable considering its size. We actually went for a certified model to grab the longer warranty then new and ours only had 16k miles so we are covered for quite some time. Guess like anything its what fills most of your needs that proves the best choice. So drive all you are considering and compare the pros and cons to pick the winner.
I bet she'll take the Lexus for the cushy ride, but she liked the CRV especially EXL/AWD just not the light blue color. The Lexus is black/ black so that appeals to her.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:25 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,058,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I bet she'll take the Lexus for the cushy ride, but she liked the CRV especially EXL/AWD just not the light blue color. The Lexus is black/ black so that appeals to her.
the only CRV's we were actually considering were the polished metal (grey) w/ grey leather and though the area dealers were offering very good discounts even on new '14's, we were happy to save some more coin on the certified '12 we found (in the color we wanted which worked out). Note on CRV's, the '12-'14's are the same design and carry the same features. I'm not familiar enough with the other 2 being considered to know when their current designs came out for comparisons.
We just needed this vehicle to give us better mpg's then our Pilot and are getting 8-10 more which is very good. We didnt need it to have any performance based suspension ability, we have a mustang if any "playing" is in the cards; and no longer had to worry about pulling our boat so the v6 wasn't necessary as well. But of course that's just us, go with what appeals the most to you both. As others have stated any of the 3 should be solid vehicle choices.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
the only CRV's we were actually considering were the polished metal (grey) w/ grey leather and though the area dealers were offering very good discounts even on new '14's, we were happy to save some more coin on the certified '12 we found (in the color we wanted which worked out). Note on CRV's, the '12-'14's are the same design and carry the same features. I'm not familiar enough with the other 2 being considered to know when their current designs came out for comparisons.
We just needed this vehicle to give us better mpg's then our Pilot and are getting 8-10 more which is very good. We didnt need it to have any performance based suspension ability, we have a mustang if any "playing" is in the cards; and no longer had to worry about pulling our boat so the v6 wasn't necessary as well. But of course that's just us, go with what appeals the most to you both. As others have stated any of the 3 should be solid vehicle choices.
Thanks, you certainly got a bargain with '12 @16K mi. Practically new car, and good luck with it. If I found one with low miles and still EXL AWD I'd consider it.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:32 PM

13,732 posts, read 12,540,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Looking at a Lexus RX 350 2010 4wd. Read reviews, say it's luxurious suspension makes it bad on tight turns, but good in snow, and Lexus is reliable. Anyone here have any thoughts on this suv? Also, looking at Honda CRV and Acura RDX in mid-$20K price range. The wife needs a smaller SUV and these all have good ratings. Any thoughts will help.Thanks
Its very hard to go wrong with the Lexus or the CRV. Lexi are a little mushy in the corners, but does your wife care? Given the tradeoff between a sportier more responsive ride, and the quiet comfort of the Lexus, is the slightly lower MPG worth it? I don't know much about the RDX, although I think some had transmission issues.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:08 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,557,461 times
I would check on the prices of new CRVs because they might be discounted more than you think. Also, not sure if a 2010 RX loaded will fall into the mid twenties.

The RX is a great car. We bought a used 2009 a few years ago. My father bought a used 2010 about a year and a half ago. Both of us like our cars. Great size. Not too big nor too small.

Maybe look at a Murano. They are close in size and might be a bit cheaper and in your price range.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:26 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,174,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I would check on the prices of new CRVs because they might be discounted more than you think. Also, not sure if a 2010 RX loaded will fall into the mid twenties.
2010 RDX w/Tech can definitely be had in the 25k range. I bought one last year around that price (under 30k miles). I think it can probably be had in low 20's because the MPG is bad. I didn't see too many last year but this year, I see many on CL.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post

The RX is a great car. We bought a used 2009 a few years ago. My father bought a used 2010 about a year and a half ago. Both of us like our cars. Great size. Not too big nor too small.

Maybe look at a Murano. They are close in size and might be a bit cheaper and in your price range.
Ok I'll check the Murano reviews, thanks. Yes, we have one Lexus RX nearby black/black 61K miles for $24K; yea, most others are about $10K more but with much less miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
2010 RDX w/Tech can definitely be had in the 25k range. I bought one last year around that price (under 30k miles). I think it can probably be had in low 20's because the MPG is bad. I didn't see too many last year but this year, I see many on CL.
I think Robro was talking Lexus RX not the RDX by Acura for that price. Thanks for your RDX info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive