Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2014, 09:20 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo123 View Post
i have been on the yahoo auto articles lately and there is this troll who has made me think with his argument,

"Why do drivers who pass in the left lane quickly move back over to the right if there is no one behind them for miles."

Most just insult him but I am wondering what a better response would be besides saying "Its the law"

He blames it on lazyness and says drivers dont want to look in their rear view mirror. What do you think
It's not always the law. Just sometimes.
Sometimes - as in some cities - it is safer to stay in the left lane. So I do, where it is legal. Sometimes through traffic is required to stay in the left lane.

But moving back in too quickly is, indeed, a problem. Not only for cars, but for 18 wheelers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 01:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
How to respond argument for cruising in left lane

From a commercial driver...
"Head-on, You're dead!"

Saw another one today... crossing centerline.
2 weeks ago, a wrong way driver coming up the backside of an overpass... SURPRISE ! "Head-on, You're dead!"

How to respond argument for cruising in left lane . "Not the sharpest tacks in the box." (pine box)

Left lane driving, is Definitely contrary to Smith Safe Driving rule #4 "Leave Yourself an Out"
This rule has worked pretty well since developed in 1948 by Harold Smith. Smith: Home

And WHERE do you go in an emergency if you are in the left lane and you don't know what is in the right (and you have no time / vehicle control to CHECK before you exit the roadway / crash)?

Stuff happens (all the time, especially while driving).

Be Safe, be considerate.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:14 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
How to respond argument for cruising in left lane

From a commercial driver...
"Head-on, You're dead!"

Saw another one today... crossing centerline.
2 weeks ago, a wrong way driver coming up the backside of an overpass... SURPRISE ! "Head-on, You're dead!"

How to respond argument for cruising in left lane . "Not the sharpest tacks in the box." (pine box)

Left lane driving, is Definitely contrary to Smith Safe Driving rule #4 "Leave Yourself an Out"
This rule has worked pretty well since developed in 1948 by Harold Smith. Smith: Home

And WHERE do you go in an emergency if you are in the left lane and you don't know what is in the right (and you have no time / vehicle control to CHECK before you exit the roadway / crash)?

Stuff happens (all the time, especially while driving).

Be Safe, be considerate.
Well said! Obviously there are times when using the left lane makes sense. It never makes sense on a clear interstate highway simply because someone wants to be passive-aggressive towards those driving faster. IMO that's a form of road rage. It is also discourteous, ignorant, stubborn, putting oneself "above the law" by acting as defacto LEO and endangering those around them. It is so stupefying that it defies logic.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:31 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
And being passive aggressive by blocking traffic behind them. It is also impolite, rude and can be dangerous. If you are driving slower than the flow of traffic and the right lane is clear, you are obligated to move over. If for no other reason, to keep YOURSELF safer and to be courteous to those around you.
Who are, by definition, being discourteous by insisting that others get out of their way so they can break the law.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:39 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
It improves safety and traffic flow for everyone around you to keep the left lane as clear as possible whether those passing you are breaking the law or not. End of discussion.

I swear we need some kind of "are you a stubborn ass" test at the DMV. Flunk that test, no license.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:57 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Who are, by definition, being discourteous by insisting that others get out of their way so they can break the law.
http://biodork.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/imag2016.jpg

Old 01-06-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
if I invent a double wide car so you can block BOTH lanes forcing all those behind you to drive the speed you choose, will you buy it? This will allow you to act upon your latent desire to be a law enforcement officer.

Oh, but what will happen if I sell them to others and you happen upon someone who is driving slower than you wish to?

Old 01-09-2014, 02:10 PM

269 posts, read 247,686 times
My step-daughter is 17 and understands that some drivers travel faster than others and it is easier and safer for these faster drivers to pass her if she is in the right lane. When she approaches a slower vehicle in the right, she signals and safely passes on the left and then safely gets back in the right lane. She told me that the private driving instructor told her to do this. She's not a very confident driver, but I'm really impressed that she takes this courteous and safe action when we're on the local highways.

Reading this forum, reinforces what I already know - that there are ppl with borderline personality disorders who are perhaps true sociopaths who for whatever reason won't follow certain rules unless imposed on them. It's encouraging that it seems to be only a couple arguing their distorted, selfish, and passive-aggressive viewpoints here.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:07 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,982 times
Quote:
If you are looking for something in a supermarket aisle, do you move aside when someone says "excuse me," or do you stand in the way and make them wait until you find what you are looking for?

Why is it so difficult to extend this same courtesy to the highways? I guess common courtesy and good manners have no place on the roadways for some people.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
IF you have a reason to be in the left lane, then it is MY job to be courteous and wait, while following at a safe distance, until you exit or pass & move over. If the right lane is clear and there is no logical reason to be in the left lane, it is YOUR job to be courteous and move over. Speed has NO bearing on this whatsoever! It is courtesy and for safety, including yours. Heck yeah I can pass you on the right. Is driving in the left lane really going to prevent speeding TexasHorseLadyTrooper? No. So why are you engaging in this dangerous preactice? Do 2 "wrongs" make a right? NO! Does it increase the risk of a wreck? YES! So, please knock it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive