Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 09:42 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,379 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering why big pick-ups are so popular paricularly in the South.
Most of these people tend to be dudes driving them mostly younger. I can understand if you needed to use them for utiliity often but majority of times I see the bed is empty.
From what I understand the MPG is horrible on those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 10:00 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
Most of these people tend to be dudes driving them mostly younger. I can understand if you needed to use them for utiliity often but majority of times I see the bed is empty.
Like everything, the toy loving yuppies have ruined the truck market. When I was a kid the only people who drove pick ups were farmers and tradesmen or guys with campers.

I grew up on a farm and I remember my Dad had a good year in 1976. He purchased two new vehicles. A 1976 Olds Ninety Eight and a 1976 Chevy Silverado 4X4 loaded with all options.

The truck was less than the car, by about $1000.

When they brainwashed the suburbanites into believing that a truck was a reasonable vehicle to get from point A to B in, they did two things. They boosted their profits into the stratosphere and they also helped out their buddies in the oil business.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:08 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
My one Son has a Dodge Ram 1500 and he loves it because it has a back seat like a car, but he can tow his other cars with it on a trailer, and also haul things in the bed.

His is a two wheel drive, but I have never understood why people in the southern states buy 4 wheel drive trucks, we have no snow here, and unless you are offroading what is the point ?

Don

Old 09-06-2013, 10:12 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
My one Son has a Dodge Ram 1500 and he loves it because it has a back seat like a car, but he can tow his other cars with it on a trailer, and also haul things in the bed.

His is a two wheel drive, but I have never understood why people in the southern states buy 4 wheel drive trucks, we have no snow here, and unless you are offroading what is the point ?

Don
4WD is great for towing and pulling, nut just mud and snow ect.

Look at the new farm tractors, most of them have either 4WD or at least front wheel assist.

It evens out the power distribution.

But then there are the people who buy them just because they can afford them and it makes them feel cool because they saw a commercial. Who cares if they can't park it, or that it costs $150 per wheel for tires or they get half the gas mileage they should be getting. They saw it on TV.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:19 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
In my case (short woman in my '60's), my Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel long bed is great for hauling many bags of feed, bales of hay, cattle panels, plywood, etc., etc., etc. (plus towing the trailer with the tractor on it), and it was equally great for taking a bunch of teenaged girls to the renaissance festival since it has an extended cab. I'm sure people who see me driving it around town to the grocery store and the feed store and such (they can't see the bags of feed in the bed when I'm driving by) think I'm driving a truck I don't need. See what they get for assuming?

Oh, MPG on the truck is 22 mpg city or highway, hauling just me or with 40 bales of hay in the back or the tractor on the trailer being hauled.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:19 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
you can blame government regulations for the explosion in pick up and big SUV sales. as emission and fuel economy regulations eliminated large cars and station wagons, the pick up and the SUV became the new big car and station wagon.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:25 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
I ask the opposite. Why aren't pickups more popular? Nowadays they aren't that much less uncomfortable than sedans - in fact some are luxurious. The gas mileage has increased to over 20MPG - not too much off from Impalas and BMW sedans, they seat up to six passengers, AND they they provide so much utility.
My current vehicle is a 1998 F-150 Supercab, 5000 pounds and I get 16.5 MPG. My next vehicle will most likely be a completely new (whenever it comes out, 2015?) Tacoma and I would expect the mid 20s in MPG. Why would I even consider a sedan?

Old 09-06-2013, 11:07 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
4WD is great for towing and pulling, nut just mud and snow ect.
Not true at all. A 4x2 pickup will have a higher towing capacity than an otherwise identically equipped 4x4.

If you know for an absolute fact that you will never need to drive in mud, snow, or other low-traction conditions you're better off with a two wheel drive.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:38 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you can blame government regulations for the explosion in pick up and big SUV sales. as emission and fuel economy regulations eliminated large cars and station wagons, the pick up and the SUV became the new big car and station wagon.
This makes no sense at all. Why would buyers choose a thirstier SUV than and a thirsty station wagon? The do so because they like the SUV for its image and utility. Today's SUVs and trucks are just as clean burning as a Toyota Camry.

Large cars aren't less available because of regulations. It is because buyers don't want the land yachts of yesteryear.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:41 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Like everything, the toy loving yuppies have ruined the truck market. When I was a kid the only people who drove pick ups were farmers and tradesmen or guys with campers.

I grew up on a farm and I remember my Dad had a good year in 1976. He purchased two new vehicles. A 1976 Olds Ninety Eight and a 1976 Chevy Silverado 4X4 loaded with all options.

The truck was less than the car, by about $1000.

When they brainwashed the suburbanites into believing that a truck was a reasonable vehicle to get from point A to B in, they did two things. They boosted their profits into the stratosphere and they also helped out their buddies in the oil business.
How has the truck market been ruined? Trucks are better than ever. Many are expensive. But if you want a plain long bed work truck in white you can still go to the Ford dealer and buy one. A Ford F150 XL with a V6 and standard transmission is $24K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive