Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 02:37 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times

Advertisements

My opinion, 7Footer . . . AAA is definitely worth every penny.

I've been a member for years and in addition to the discounts you have already mentioned, just one "stranding" due to a flat tire, dead battery or anything else justifies the annual membership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 02:43 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The maps and travel planning services help justify it. Naturally with GPS you don't need maps as much any more, but it's good to have them as backup and the tour books have great information on lodging, restaurants and attractions.
that's a good point. We've made the WI-SC trip back and forth enough i can do it with no map or gps.... BUT i still grab a trip-tik from AAA to catch up on any potential construction (our gps gets finicky at times lol), perhaps new places to stop at, etc.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:06 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
In the past several years, AAA has:
  • changed 3 flat tires
  • installed a new battery
  • provided various discounts on lodging, transportation, and entertainment
  • towed my car about 10 miles when it broke down
  • provided maps and travel books
  • transferred registrations from old state to new state, and from old car to new car
The only charges were for the battery (not the labor) and for the state transfer and registration fees.

Yes, I think it's well worth it.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:22 PM

112 posts, read 262,838 times
I just signed up over the phone - $115 for coverage for both me and my wife at the 'Plus' level. I didn't want the 'Classic' membership, but they said the 'Premier' membership comes in handy for people who travel a lot and/or are often in rural areas. Happy to have the coverage, but obviously it's one of those things that nobody want to have to use. Not sure why I never looked into in the past, but I think I'm a believer based on discount potential alone. And the beauty is: I don't/won't have any buyer's remorse because the thing will pay for itself for our household. If anything I'd probably have non-buyer's remorse if I fail to renew it in one year. :/ Thanks to all for your input!

Old 01-29-2014, 04:30 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
My Amex credit card had a standard benefit which provides an 800# for tow/dead battery/flat tire/out of gas. Basically they provide the same thing as AAA for emergency car service but I don't pay an annual fee for it. However, I would have to pay for it via my credit card when the service is needed. However, they are discounted rates that have been prenegotiated by Amex.

Since I have only needed a tow one time in 20 years and never needed assistance for battery/flat tire/out of gas, then I am of the type that is better off by paying for the service if/when needed (versus paying a fee every year for something that I likely won't use).

Discounts for hotels and cars can be had pretty easy these days if you google for coupon codes or if you use discount web sites.

So for me, AAA isn't worth it. I really don't need the warm and fuzzy of an 800# to call if help is needed. However, I find I have access to such an 800# from Amex credit card if needed.

FYI if you are driving on an interstate in FL, there is a free roadside assistance service called Road Rangers that is available to everyone. (call *347)But not in middle of night. But it's a real nice thing for folks that are stranded at the side of the road. They ride all over and are also available on-call. There are so many of them that they usually find people within minutes of them pulling to the side of the road.

Link to Road Rangers.

Florida Department of Transportation

Old 01-29-2014, 09:25 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
I had my truck and boat towed 100 miles to get repaired. I got it because I want to make sure my wife gets towed if she breaks down. We rarely break down but I don't mind the price. I also like the discounts I get.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:03 PM

113 posts, read 619,671 times
I have road side assistance with my car insurance company, it was included with my coverage at no additional cost. Maybe you can look into that with your car insurance provider and see if they offer that.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:11 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
I like AAA, but I don't like their games about you should have own membership because your family is in another state, past tense.

Are you one company or a franchise? AAA CA vs AAA CO

Old 01-29-2014, 10:28 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
I've had them for years and only had to use them twice.......once when a water pump blew on my hot rod and once for a jump on my daily. I will always keep them because it is such peace of mind knowing I can get my car towed 100 miles if needed to get me home.

I see it like having insurance, you buy it hoping you will never need it, but great if you should.

Don

Old 01-29-2014, 10:33 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I like AAA, but I don't like their games about you should have own membership because your family is in another state, past tense.

Are you one company or a franchise? AAA CA vs AAA CO

I've used my AAA in other states. I never had a issue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive