Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 10:56 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,583,063 times

Advertisements

As some of you may know, I recently sold my car to a friend so that I could move back to town. So far, I don't completely regret it. My friends have given me rides when I need them, although I've had to wait longer than if I had my own car. I can get a bus to almost anywhere in town, although the buses only run about once an hour, and they do break down occasionally, and if the bus does not go that way, I can always depend on good old-fashioned walking.

I will probably eventually tire of walking, though, and even some of my closest job sites can be up to ten miles away or more; I can't walk that far right now comfortably. I'm averaging about three miles a day, though, and, except for some discomfort in my feet, I feel great. Walking is great aerobic exercise. There are many obvious drawbacks, though, to not having a car. If anyone calls me for a job, I will have to make sure they are either on a bus route or close enough so that either that my friends can drive me or I can walk. I also imagine I will probably find myself taking more buses or calling my friends more often when summer comes, because it will be too hot to walk very far.

I may have to get another mode of transportation. The question is, though, which one should I choose?
Cars can be quite expensive. Used cars can have mechanical problems or require a lot of extra maintenance. New cars are just super expensive. I don't think it would be wise for me to make payments on a vehicle on a substitute teacher's salary. Plus, I don't see many people admitting this, but I'm just a bad driver. I wrecked my second car in a rainstorm. I would maybe try to avoid cars altogether, but I can't ride a bicycle comfortably; there's no path for them, and drivers do not respect the rights of bicyclers on the road. Another alternative would be a motorcycle, but I don't have my motorcycle license and have not been able to pass the test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 02:19 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,972,344 times
Get a 50cc scooter for around town. Honda Ruckus is cool.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:32 AM

6,564 posts, read 7,145,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
Get a 50cc scooter for around town. Honda Ruckus is cool.
^This, I've never owned one, but sounds perfect for you, and it'll help towards getting your motorcycle license.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:44 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post

I don't see many people admitting this, but I'm just a bad driver. I wrecked my second car in a rainstorm. I would maybe try to avoid cars altogether, but I can't ride a bicycle comfortably; there's no path for them, and drivers do not respect the rights of bicyclers on the road. Another alternative would be a motorcycle, but I don't have my motorcycle license and have not been able to pass the test.
Don't get a motorcycle or scooter as you are obviously a poor driver.

Pay your friends when they give you rides and use public transportation when available.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:30 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,278,236 times
Buy an older, inexpensive used car and only drive it when you really need it. Maintenance costs are a reflection of the number of miles you drive, not the age of the car, so if you don't drive it much your maintenance costs will be minimal. And while all cars need repairs at some point and a few have ongoing mechanical problems, the vast majority don't cost a lot to keep on the road, especially if you don't drive them much.

Given that you're uncomfortable riding a bicycle and acknowledge that you are a bad driver, I would also advise against a scooter.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:29 PM

10 posts, read 11,765 times
I don't know, if you are a bad driver, I don't know if going a scooter/motorcycle is a good idea, as you could get yourself seriously hurt or killed. Maybe an older car with not too high milage is better, also doing a fresh driving course to improve your driving.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:40 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Why not invest in a good driving course and learn to be a good driver? It's not rocket science and if you can't learn to drive a car well do yourself a favor and cancel the motorcycle possibility.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:40 PM

I suppose I could invest in a driving course. The only one I know of is pretty expensive, though, the price of a good used car. It's offered by a truck driving school, but it's just to help regular people become more conscientious drivers. I've thought about it, but I've also thought that it might be a waste of money.

Having my friends take me places would be okay, but I've missed a few job opportunities, because my friends have claimed that it's too far away. I've also been losing a little sleep because of this modified schedule; sometimes I have to wait for hours on a ride if I call my friends.

Last edited by krmb; 04-03-2014 at 04:00 PM..

Old 04-03-2014, 03:44 PM

558 posts, read 1,121,366 times
Selling my car soon because I'm temporarily moving to a big city where there's lots of public trans. I wont miss the insurance, oil changes, insane gas prices, and the idiots on the road. So yeah I'm looking forward to a car-free lifestyle even if it's only temporary.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
Selling my car soon because I'm temporarily moving to a big city where there's lots of public trans. I wont miss the insurance, oil changes, insane gas prices, and the idiots on the road. So yeah I'm looking forward to a car-free lifestyle even if it's only temporary.

I live in a suburban area, but getting by without a car is still doable. I'm not missing nearly as much as I thought I might, except I'm extremely tired from the extra hours I have to invest in transportation. The bus sometimes takes two hours to get me where I need to go, not because where I need to go is out of the way, but just because there are so many stops on the route. Walking can take three or four hours. Considering I have to get to work at around 7:00 in the morning, I would say that it is somewhat inconvenient.

Last edited by krmb; 04-03-2014 at 05:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive