Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 01:03 PM

15 posts, read 23,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
It's different state-to-state. In Illinois, the rule is you turn left from the leftmost lane into the leftmost lane. In California, the rule is you turn left from the leftmost lane into whichever lane you want to be in.
That's what people do here, but if you look in the book, the rule is the same as in Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
Yeah, you are the smart one.
Well, in this situation it is pretty obvious.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
At a 4 way stop if 2 cars stop at the same time, the car on the right always has the right-of-way.

If 2 cars stop at different times the car that stopped first has the right-of-way.

If 4 cars from 4 different directions all stop at the same time at a 4 way stop the car towards the North has the right-of-way.

These are laws in my state.
That last one's a good one - California should add it...except it is sad that most people I know here don't know their directions...

Old 02-16-2015, 01:16 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Some people don't seem to understand how to proceed at a four way stop sign. It is my understanding that if two or more cars are at a four way stop sign, the first car to stop has the right of way. If two cars stop at the same time, the car on the right has the right of way (of course a car on the right can yield if they wish).

Now the issue I've experienced is coming up to a four way stop sign with another car arriving a little sooner than me at the intersection so I yield and let him go first. Then a second car behind that one goes through as well, although they were clearly later in arriving at the intersection. In fact at any stop sign you can't skate through after the first car proceeds without driving up to the sign and stopping. Do people not understand basic driving practices or are they just being inconsiderate?
I'd say the first option. I've never heard of four-way stop driving being a matter of manners or personal preference- it's basic driving laws.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:31 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
It has become an intelligent test that a disturbing number of drivers fail miserably.

I can't count the times while making a left turn that the car across from me who arrived to the intersection unquestionably after I did goes ahead and becomes infuriated at me and starts honking while I take my proper, legal turn.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:40 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSWM View Post
People going straight have the right of way and should proceed before those who are turning. Right turns have priority over those turning left. If multiple vechiles arrive together priority goes to the vehicle that first completes its stop. It is only in the rare instance where none of this applies (i.e. vehicles traveling on perpendicular roads arrive and stop at exactly the same time. Not sure if there are any rules for that situation.
Missed this before but it's complete wrong.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:23 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,333 times
My worst 4-way stop experience?

I was in college, and it was about 5 PM, and there's this one intersection in the SE corner of campus that backs up pretty heavily at times. And at the four way stop, in the direction I was going, was a little old lady letting EVERYONE -- and I do not exaggerate when I say EVERYONE -- go before her.

I think no fewer than 15 cars passed before she finally went.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:07 PM

273 posts, read 240,307 times
I wish 4-way stops were all we had to worry about.

Now we have at least 8 "round abouts" in two Counties.

That's an accident waiting to happen.

They thought they would try some a few years ago when the modified 4-way stops with heavy traffic.

I hate those damn things.....

If you make it through without having a "near miss" it's a miracle.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:09 PM

273 posts, read 240,307 times
This is a "round about" if you never saw one before.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...&hsimp=yhs-001

Mr. "Dumb Fawk" invented the thing!

Old 02-17-2015, 08:17 PM

3,337 posts, read 2,140,399 times
http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/intersect...s/fhwasa08006/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive