Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 04:02 PM

Location: The source of gun control protesters ( no i'm not one of them )
16 posts, read 18,165 times

Advertisements

If Texas won't step in and stop these amplified vehicles, then they might as well have regulations for houses to be soundproofed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 08:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,918,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4539 View Post
It's not just a single person we are talking about, it is possibly my whole state. I live in Texas, and there is a lot of people who would have a lot of loud pickup trucks. If I was to complain to the police, there would be nothing to do because almost everyone owns a pickup truck.

EDIT: it would take some time, possibly a century or a few decades, to take care of this.
I live in Texas and I only heard this when I lived in city mostly but loud music was worse. now I rarely hear either.Before I moved loud motorcycles straight exhaust was the worse.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:03 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,105,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Hmmm. I'm gonna build another loud V8 car just to **** off the OP and people like them.

As much as I like the quiet luxury sound of the silence of the Volt, I miss the V8 rumble of my Mustang GT with the aftermarket exhaust and the ripping V8 sound of my BMW 740 with the muffler delete. Maybe I'll put a V8 with flowmasters in my '63 Comet instead of the built I6...
I saw a guy get dragged out of an extremely loud truck and beaten once. I did not feel sorry for him. I was one of the hundreds in the apartment building next to the road that had just been woken up by him at 2am. I don't advocate assault, but I did not feel pity.

Making noise when you're out on your own property is your right. When you do that driving by someone's neighborhood, you deserve to be punished. You would complain if I came and stood outside of your ghetto apartment and blared a stereo when you're sleeping.

I would strongly favor citations that lead to a suspension of license for continued noise violations. It is morally reprehensible. You wake up someone's child, they have a right to demand compensation. Since they won't get it, punishing people like you is the best we can do.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:35 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,971,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Since they won't get it, punishing people like you is the best we can do.
Merc made no mention of going through neighborhoods at 2am. He just mentioned building a loud vehicle, which he has every right to do.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:51 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,599,702 times
Entirely 1st world problem compared to the CO2 emissions. But hybrid electrics are very quiet and address this issue as well.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:02 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,046,203 times
Ninety percent of the American population goes years at a time without seeing stars in the sky, some people have literally never seen a star. Noise pollution is quickly becoming as commonplace and universal as light pollution, and it is simply accepted as the way things are.

You want noise? Go to a sports stadium or arena. Huge sound systems are installed, at great cost, to produce stunning levels of gratuitous noise. The louder it gets, the more people buy tickets, and the higher the prices of the tickets. I saw a hockey game the other night, where a commentator tried to interview a coach between periods, and they couldn't. Neither of them could scream into each other's ears loud enough for the questions and answers to be heard. It wasn't the crowd, it was the arena sound system.

There are species of frogs that are endangered, because they can no longer hear each other during mating season, over the wall to wall ambient noise even at night. Frogs mate when it rains, they need to lay eggs in standing water. One desert species listens for the sound of thunder, then comes out and mates, in anticipation of rain. But now there is a flight path for jet aircraft over their habitat, and their breeding rates fail because they mate on dry nights when aircraft fly over.

People WANT noise. They pay thousands of dollars for audio systems in their homes or cars, that can be heard from several blocks away, and hire attorneys to protect their constitutional right to "speech" at medically harmful decibels.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-05-2014 at 09:10 AM..

Old 06-05-2014, 10:18 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,304,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I saw a guy get dragged out of an extremely loud truck and beaten once. I did not feel sorry for him. I was one of the hundreds in the apartment building next to the road that had just been woken up by him at 2am. I don't advocate assault, but I did not feel pity.

Making noise when you're out on your own property is your right. When you do that driving by someone's neighborhood, you deserve to be punished. You would complain if I came and stood outside of your ghetto apartment and blared a stereo when you're sleeping.

I would strongly favor citations that lead to a suspension of license for continued noise violations. It is morally reprehensible. You wake up someone's child, they have a right to demand compensation. Since they won't get it, punishing people like you is the best we can do.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:51 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,279,787 times
The right to silence or

The right to unlimited (db) levels of speech?

Which trumps which?

---

Well context, plays a big part in this.

I remember playing (rehearsing for a party) some music (electrified) with friends on a weekday. We were going to stop around 9:30pm. The cops were called on us. Now in our neighborhood usually the cutoff for excessive noise is about 10:00pm. So I could kind of understand, but also was kinda pissed, because this was the only time we have ever been loud and it wasn't even 10pm.

When we had our loud party (with our band playing) we went around the neighborhood passing out fliers explaining that there will be some noise (it was on a weekend). Though I'd imagine that the people that complained probably wouldn't have on the weekend, hence context.

---

In our neighborhood I also hear loud Harleys, Ambulances, cars, people yelling, off hours, but for the most part I don't mind. Because its short and doesn't really interrupt anything.

And as a musician, I am capable of making tons of noise (albeit on my property) so I'm pretty sympathetic to both sides.

---

Someone brought up light pollution, and I think that's way more interesting because I think the sky is a way more magical place when you're able to see the actual colors and clouds of stars, and I think that's something that a lot of us have never seen...but that's another topic entirely.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:19 PM

709 posts, read 657,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
It goes beyond just being "annoying." It is SUPER annoying to a point that it can affect a person's health and quality of life. Excessive noise, and I stress the word EXCESSIVE, has been shown to raise people's blood pressure and affect them psychologically. This isn't being a "wuss," it's normal human limitations.
I would posit that it isn't the noise, per se, that causes these effects; rather, a personality defect that allows one to get so worked up over such an issue is to blame.

Now, I don't disagree with you that many sounds are annoying and unpleasant. For example, I hate barking dogs, semi trucks, train horns, and hilljacks with loud diesel trucks. I used to live on a main road in my city (on a small hill, no less, so I was treated to semi trucks downshifting constantly) AND I had an a$$hole neighbor who left his dog out all day and night to bark constantly. You know what I did? I moved.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:24 PM

Location: The source of gun control protesters ( no i'm not one of them )
16 posts, read 18,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
I would posit that it isn't the noise, per se, that causes these effects; rather, a personality defect that allows one to get so worked up over such an issue is to blame.

Now, I don't disagree with you that many sounds are annoying and unpleasant. For example, I hate barking dogs, semi trucks, train horns, and hilljacks with loud diesel trucks. I used to live on a main road in my city (on a small hill, no less, so I was treated to semi trucks downshifting constantly) AND I had an a$$hole neighbor who left his dog out all day and night to bark constantly. You know what I did? I moved.
I have that personality defect. I'm easily annoyed. I'm not that tolerant...

But noise pollution isn't just why I hate where I live. I have some other pet peeves that get me irritated. Like when someone leaves their cigarette boxes and beer cans in our recycling bin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive