Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 10:41 AM

78,649 posts, read 60,839,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Not for me. The reason is this - I drive very defensively. I leave enough space between me and car in front and also like to have someone behind me who is leaving enough space as well (not very difficult to do at all- in fact it will happen automatically as tailgaters or drivers who are in rush will leave your tail quickly realizing how boring you are). I stick to right lane unless passing or the lanes are full and two many entering ramps e.g. in busy city. I keep looking around to make sure these conditions are full filled. Make sure you look around at each stop sign. Basically do what you are supposed to do every single time. Always pay your full attention to driving. I don't take calls or text. Never had any accident (have not called my insurance - they are simply making money from me) and I drive about 100 miles everyday on a very busy interstate (to work). And let me tell you this - it's not very difficult to do that and you will still reach your destination just like everybody else and sooner than lane changer and tailgaters.

Now it doesn't mean you will never have an accident if it's not your fault. Chances are highly reduced though IMO. I'll see how to handle when that happens but NO to dash cam.
The purpose of a dash cam is not to record your own SAFE driving so I'm puzzled by your comments.

Tell you what, pull up youtube and watch a couple dash cam videos and you will see what the usefullness is like when you are driving along and somebody texting side-swipes you and then speeds off.

Frankly, I'm completely baffled by your logic that safe drivers have no use for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 11:05 AM

790 posts, read 1,271,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
If someone did that to me to try to scam an insurance claim I'd have a hard time not pulling a gun on them.
Hope I never run into you, you sound like someone that is just waiting for something, anything to happen so you can "pull your gun". Do you feel like a big man with a gun?

Old 05-19-2014, 01:05 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,509,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The purpose of a dash cam is not to record your own SAFE driving so I'm puzzled by your comments.

Tell you what, pull up youtube and watch a couple dash cam videos and you will see what the usefullness is like when you are driving along and somebody texting side-swipes you and then speeds off.

Frankly, I'm completely baffled by your logic that safe drivers have no use for them.

As I said I drive everyday that too a lot and driving around me is not bad enough (and I drive in notorious DC metro) that I see need for a dash cam. Of course there are crazy drivers but they do not come even close to me and even if they do - not for long. As I said I look around and if I see a bad driver I am out of there - example if I realize a texter is near me I'll do whatever it takes to make a distance from them. In last 15 years of driving I have never felt a need for dash cam.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:19 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,508,459 times
Yes they are, but I am more focused on police accountability.

The "freedom cam" (google it) records two camera angels, has speed and impact measuring devices, can automatically upload live video to the internet for off-site storage, and some have features such as infrared. It looks like a window or dash mounted GPS device.

It is the ultimate witness if a cop or another driver has a different story than you do.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:31 AM

861 posts, read 1,339,055 times
Light turns green so I go.... and a car coming in the opposite direction turns left right in front of me!!!! I slammed on brakes and honked at the jackass. He proceeds to flip me off. If I had my old SUV I would have slammed into that idiot.

Found some apps in the Apple store but not sure how they work. Do they record at a few second interval? How much can it record on 24GB? Which ones are the best?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive