Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 12:18 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
So other than "look at me" those cars offer no practical purpose. I get it.
Custom cars have been that way since they started back before WWII. What's your point, that only modifications for performance are viable? That one should ONLY modify their car to make it faster than legally allowed?

None of these are built for any other reason that to be rolling artwork. And I see nothing wrong with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 12:24 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Custom cars have been that way since they started back before WWII. What's your point, that only modifications for performance are viable? That one should ONLY modify their car to make it faster than legally allowed?

None of these are built for any other reason that to be rolling artwork. And I see nothing wrong with that.

That top picture reminds me of the "boat" 1948 2door Buick my dad bought in the early 50's.

We lived on a farm, long driveway that was in bad shape year around.

Very poor decision on my Dad's part.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:26 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,141,570 times
Quote:

There’s a huge difference between rolling artwork and rolling litter box.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:30 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Winter Soldier View Post
Wow...That was racist. Well anyway, here's a pimped out Swedish car. Guessing the little kid standing behind it is driving it..not sure who else would fit in that thing.
I didn't read it as racist at all, I read it as people in Europe wouldn't jack up a car because that would be unsophisticated. The lowered car, I can see, but not something as dumb as those huge wheels. Europeans usually are into performance, not putting 25's or whatever on a Hummer.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
There’s a huge difference between rolling artwork and rolling litter box.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and being an insulting git about cars that aren't your favorites is unbecoming.

Would I build a Donk? No, Not my style. But I'm not going to be insulting about it because it's not my personal style. The point was that custom cars don't have to be practical or have practical/performance reasons to exist.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:33 PM
gg

I see stupid stuff like this on the roads all the time. I just figure the driver has to be some jerk because all I can think about are families on highways with little kids and such and this bully idiot runs around with this crap on this wheels.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I didn't read it as racist at all, I read it as people in Europe wouldn't jack up a car because that would be unsophisticated. The lowered car, I can see, but not something as dumb as those huge wheels. Europeans usually are into performance, not putting 25's or whatever on a Hummer.
Oh?

Performance, eh?

the custom car scene in Europe is filled with non-performance cars with radical paint, wild bodywork, and wheels that are getting bigger year by year... sophisticated?

And let's not even talk about the crazy stuff the Japanese have been doing for years:

Old 06-06-2014, 12:54 PM
gg

Quote:
Oh?
That stuff isn't driven and of course you can find some crap in every country, but I have been all over Europe and most cars are more performances based and nothing like the crap we drive here in the US. Anyway, the dumb things that can kill people hanging off the side of your wheels is more the subject and I hope it is illegal. The picture I posted certainly should be illegal. It is dangerous. Only a selfish moron would put something like that on their wheels.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:55 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post

As far as those wheels on a newer BMW,totally TACKY.So low class.
Newer? The last year for a 745LI E66 was 2005. That's probably a $10K car. A new one would cost nearly 10 times that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
LOL. Why would anyone ruin a BMW by putting that tacky mess on the wheels? Some people....
Old 7 series have been hood rat cars for a while now.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:59 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Quote:

If somebody wants to spend a lot of money to build a classic automobile they could not drive, like the cars in the first two images, that's their problem. I wouldn't spend a lot money to build something I can't drive, let alone ruin a classic automobile..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive