Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2014, 09:45 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times

Advertisements

Negative Environmental Impacts of Hybrid Vehicles There are no free lunches...sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 10:14 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I wonder if those who drive electric cars ever figure out that the electricity that they charge the car with usually comes from fossil fuel?

A bit of fossil fuel, a bit of solar, a bit of wind, a bit of nuclear, and a bit of hydroelectric power, depending on the area of the country. But for me, only $10 worth of electricity per month to drive every day. So much less fossil fuels than I would driving a gas powered car. AND, with teh power plant regulated heavily and getting cleaner every year, it's vastly cleaner than using a gasoline powered car.

Many of us with EVs have solar panels on the roof of our houses. I'm looking into that right now.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:42 PM

113 posts, read 145,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
Q: How do you charge a Volt (or other electric car)?

A: With electric power?

Q: Where does most electric power currently come from in the US?

A: Coal.

If everyone drove an electric, CO2 output and pollution would INCREASE.

OR OR....

Depending on what part of the country you live in Natural Gas or Nuclear (which is the best option, produces the most power by far. Solar and Wind don't even come close).

Old 06-15-2014, 01:22 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Not even for the greater good?
What makes you think hybrid batteries are for the greater good? Those things are monsters, it's more harmful to dispose of them then any benefit they provide when in use.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:28 PM

21 posts, read 50,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
What makes you think hybrid batteries are for the greater good? Those things are monsters, it's more harmful to dispose of them then any benefit they provide when in use.
Only a moron would "dispose"of them. They have been recycled and rebuilt for years now.

Try educating yourself. Dont be one of those "low information voters", our country is in bad enough shape.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:32 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknshoot View Post
Only a moron would "dispose"of them. They have been recycled and rebuilt for years now.

Try educating yourself. Dont be one of those "low information voters", our country is in bad enough shape.
Eventually you have to dispose of them, nothing can be recycled forever.

Besides, most of us enjoy internal combustion engines. You couldn't pay me to drive a hybrid.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:07 PM

8,073 posts, read 4,747,652 times
You couldn't even pay me to be SEEN in one of them.

And as long as we're advocating the government forcing everyone to drive hybrid cars, why not force everyone to use land-line phones, outlaw all but one TV channel, and eat oatmeal at every meal. Because...y'know, greater good, and all that.
We don't need that pesky "freedom of choice" stuff that is so overblown. It's so 1950s.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:09 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,744 times
Nobody can predict which fuel source will be optimal 10 or 20 yrs from now since auto technology is changing so rapidly. On the other hand, legislators are often slow to respond, so bureaucrats & policy analysts are the last ppl you want to ask to place bets on winners. It's better to just set basic ground rules for the auto industry and let the consumer decide what mix of fuel sources best suit his or her needs. People in SF or NYC don't need 350HP gas-powered SUV's but ranchers on dirt roads in OK or Montana certainly do.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:15 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
Eventually you have to dispose of them, nothing can be recycled forever.

Besides, most of us enjoy internal combustion engines. You couldn't pay me to drive a hybrid.
I enjoy ICE cars, and have had many hot rods and custom cars over the years, including my current project, a '63 Mercury Comet S-22. And I still love my torquey electric car for day to day driving to work. I'd rather drive it daily than be a closed minded assclown.

And yes, you can recycle them forever. It's how recycling metals works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive