Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 10:26 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
You describe your own speed-limit-above-all-else position quite well.
Apparently not, as the real meaning went zooming right past your head (or in one ear and out the other).

The point is not the speed limit, per se, but the attitude that if you don't like a particular traffic law, (a) it must by definition be meaningless and bad and (b) it shouldn't and therefore doesn't apply to you. That's the very definition of a bad driver, and yet those that hold that attitude also seem to think that they are exceptional drivers. Well, maybe they're right - they're exceptionally BAD drivers.

Wish there was a way to test for such attitudes when testing to qualify someone for their driver's license. It's certainly not an attitude that should be imposed on others on the public roads, because it is by definition unsafe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 10:35 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,100,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
A CITY-DATA poll? You want me to think that represents 95% of drivers? Really? I've seen it, and the discussion. It's not even a properly designed poll; I've worked with people trying to come up with unbiased questions to do actual scientific polls and it is HARD to do, but this doesn't appear to have even tried.

As for your kind comment regarding believing what I like, aren't you projecting more than a bit?
Yes, a City Data poll..the very forum you're commenting on. The opinion here is quite clear although you're free to join a forum where the members have other preferences. It's a win win for everyone as you'll be in a place (however isolated from reality) where people agree with you and we can continue about our business here without being exposed to your drivel.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:43 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,563,161 times
Quote:
The point is not riding in the left lane, per se, but the attitude that if you don't like a particular traffic law, (a) it must by definition be meaningless and bad and (b) it shouldn't and therefore doesn't apply to you. That's the very definition of a bad driver, and yet those that hold that attitude also seem to think that they are exceptional drivers. Well, maybe they're right - they're exceptionally BAD drivers. .
Again, we can change a couple of words, and you very eloquently state the position that best describes yourself.

The broader point I'm trying to make is that your argument is ineffective because it is the mirror of what you think you are arguing against. You aren't making the case for why you should be allowed to stay in the left lane for as long as you dang well please.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:55 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If I am on an expressway with a 65 mph speed limit and I come upon a driver going that fast in the left lane I simply pass them on the right without slowing down from my usual 72 to 75 mph.
That's what I do also, but the strangest part of this scenario is that many of those left lane hogs believe--mistakenly--that it is illegal to pass on the right.

I'm sure that, like me, you have encountered some of those left lane hogs who then proceed to speed up, shake their fist at you, and shout something like, You're not allowed to pass on the right! My response is to smile at them and put a lot of daylight between them and me.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:35 AM

159 posts, read 292,385 times
Here we go again!!

Old 06-23-2014, 11:37 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,974,707 times
I wish this was on the front page of the houston chronicle in every language

Old 06-23-2014, 12:25 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
Again, we can change a couple of words, and you very eloquently state the position that best describes yourself.

The broader point I'm trying to make is that your argument is ineffective because it is the mirror of what you think you are arguing against. You aren't making the case for why you should be allowed to stay in the left lane for as long as you dang well please.
Actually, I have made that case, not pertaining to myself, because as I've said repeatedly, I only drive in the left lane to pass or to exit left, which even the speed addicts have stated are appropriate uses for that lane. But only as it pertains to obeying BOTH the "slower traffic keep right" AND the speed limit laws. BOTH are guilty of picking and choosing which laws should apply to them. (Except, I guess, the person who is going exactly the speed limit - you know, the top speed you're supposed to drive, not the bottom which makes you by definition not the slow traffic - in any lane. They're absolutely within the law and anyone driving slower than them should keep right. To argue anything else is to argue that the law is not the law.)

We all know that there are people out there who think the law doesn't pertain to them. Some of them think the speed limit law doesn't pertain to them. Some of them think the slower traffic keep right law doesn't pertain to them. BOTH are equally wrong. That's the reality that the speed addicts don't seem to be able to cope with - they are just as guilty as those slow pokes who won't get out of THEIR lane.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:13 PM

7,825 posts, read 4,570,108 times
Quote:
Actually, I have made that case, not pertaining to myself, because as I've said repeatedly, I only drive in the left lane to pass or to exit left, which even the speed addicts have stated are appropriate uses for that lane. But only as it pertains to obeying BOTH the "slower traffic keep right" AND the speed limit laws. BOTH are guilty of picking and choosing which laws should apply to them. (Except, I guess, the person who is going exactly the speed limit - you know, the top speed you're supposed to drive, not the bottom which makes you by definition not the slow traffic - in any lane. They're absolutely within the law and anyone driving slower than them should keep right. To argue anything else is to argue that the law is not the law.)

We all know that there are people out there who think the law doesn't pertain to them. Some of them think the speed limit law doesn't pertain to them. Some of them think the slower traffic keep right law doesn't pertain to them. BOTH are equally wrong. That's the reality that the speed addicts don't seem to be able to cope with - they are just as guilty as those slow pokes who won't get out of THEIR lane.
So, if, on a 70mph road, I'm driving a GPS indicated 70 (which is going to appear on the speedo as around 75 or so) and you're driving a speedo indicated 70 (which is going to appear on a GPS or law enforment device as 65 or so) which makes about a 10mph differential, does that make me a speed addict?

[EDIT - To put it in less scientific terms you may understand, if you're standing still and a horse trots (8-10mph) or canters (10-17 mph) past you, is the horse a speed addict?]

Last edited by take57; 06-23-2014 at 01:35 PM..

Old 06-23-2014, 02:15 PM

24,478 posts, read 26,017,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyname10 View Post
Here we go again!!
Yep, there are at least 6 threads on this topic being commented on this year using "left lane" in the search function.

Article: Why you shouldn't drive slowly in the left lane
Sayantsi
Today 12:13 PM
by take57 Go to last post
28 333 Automotive

Poll: Should the left lane be for passing in all circumstances if safely to do so? (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4)
westcoastforme
05-15-2014 05:11 AM
by dkf747 Go to last post
131 2,770 Automotive

Left lane hog
victimofGM
04-06-2014 01:09 PM
by EarthBound? Go to last post
16 498 Automotive

How to respond argument for cruising in left lane (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last Page)
ronaldo123
04-25-2014 12:37 PM
by Yankees1212 Go to last post
304 9,776 Automotive

Why Are There SO MANY Left-Lane-Hogs
theguyfrompluto
12-09-2013 11:22 AM
by TheViking85 Go to last post
29 1,211 Automotive

Poll: POLL: Proper Highway Lane Usage (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
iTsLiKeAnEgG
06-03-2014 03:00 PM
by Marc Paolella Go to last post
97 2,225 Automotive

Old 06-23-2014, 03:01 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,836,099 times
left lane hog = control freak with mental problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive