Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 11:04 AM

25,581 posts, read 17,298,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
How much should it cost to replace motor mounts? I'm guessing $20 for each mount, which I think is generous. The dealer was quoting $300-400 each! He was up to 3 when I told him no thanks. I went to the Mopar website which listed parts at about $5 but I don't know exactly which part(s) are needed. I plan to call around today but I was hoping to get a ballpark figure from someone more knowledgeable than me. My threshold is $700 and I hope I'm being a realist.
I would do just what you are doing. Call around and get quotes. But be sure to call independent shops instead of dealers; there will be a huge price difference.

For me, I give they person who diagnosed the problem the business unless that person works for a shop that is inordinately expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 11:06 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,767,554 times
The mounts range from 22 to 79 dollars.

RockAuto Parts Catalog

Here's a vid on how to do one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le534qVLdSM

labor Google says about 3.5 hours

Old 08-07-2014, 11:17 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,581,436 times
From experience I would stay away from cheap aftermarket mounts. They tend to go bad rather quickly. This is one of the very few parts that I buy directly from the dealer.

Last edited by louie0406; 08-07-2014 at 11:26 AM..

Old 08-07-2014, 11:56 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
From experience I would stay away from cheap aftermarket mounts. They tend to go bad rather quickly. This is one of the very few parts that I buy directly from the dealer.
I don't think it matters on the Pacifica, motor mount failure is a very common problem with some people replacing them every 40K miles regardless of whether they use aftermarket or OEM.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:47 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Good for you. That's not my thing. I can make $600 on a weekend pulling call. Learning how to fix my car whilst fixing my car is not my thing.
Well then, you'll just have to take it to a mechanic. But don't go blaming you being a 40 year old petite woman for your lack of interest in wrenching on your car.

<--- Hates women who play the helpless woman card to get help from men.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:52 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Well then, you'll just have to take it to a mechanic. But don't go blaming you being a 40 year old petite woman for your lack of interest in wrenching on your car.

She-Man you need to find someone else to pick on who gives a bleep. I like my feminine ways just fine. Thank you very much. This is not the forum for bashing women is it??

MODERATOR!!

Old 08-07-2014, 07:49 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times
Quote:
She-Man you need to find someone else to pick on who gives a bleep. I like my feminine ways just fine. Thank you very much. This is not the forum for bashing women is it??

MODERATOR!!
If you don't give a bleep why the mod call?

Old 08-07-2014, 08:21 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,974,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

Hotness! Would you have my baby.

Off topic, old school asian raised, we don't play. We get it done.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Do you know what shop labor rates run in this day and age? At most shops $20 will get you 15 minutes. And this is no 15-minute job; depending on what mounts need to be replaced it could require jacking up the engine, removing the fan, radiator, and air fileter assemblies, and unbolting several other accessories to move them out of the way. And that's before you turn the first bolt on the motor mount itself.

There is no motor mount for the Pacifica that sells for $5. I looked up the prices for aftermarket mounts at O'Reilly's, this vehicle takes two motor mounts that sell for $49.99 and one that sells for $77.99, plus a torques strut that sells for $38.99.

I don't know if the dealer you spoke to was being realistic or not. I'd suggest calling around to get a few more opinions on the work the first mechanic proposed. If they come in at about the same price, take it to another shop and get a second opinions as to whether it really needs the work.

One thing that does jump out, once all the extra work I mentioned above has been done for the first mount it doesn't have to be done for subsequent mounts, so the first one would be significantly higher but the rest should be limited to the cost to R&R the mount only. You might point this out to the mechanic and see if it persuades him to reconsider his quote.
Thanks Duster. I've never had any problems with the car so I just want to do my due diligence before I blindly assume I'm getting a fair service.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
If you don't give a bleep why the mod call?
I came for advice on a car. Not peoples' opinions on what I should and should not be able to physically do. Would you like me to build you a house and perform open heart surgery? BRB. I'm going to get the manuals. Oh let me put the twins to bed first then go out back and put the van up on blocks. I'm sure I can get those mounts installed before my shift tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive