Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 05:04 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times

Advertisements

Not only NO but HELL NO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 07:37 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,168,163 times
If you know he drives carelessly and fast, why would you then borrow it to him and risk it. Perhaps the solution is to drive him and his friends there. Sure, that's a big sacrifice of time on your part, but him and his friends can get there and you have the peace of mind to know your vehicle will be in one piece. Otherwise, my answer would be a definite NO.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:23 AM

355 posts, read 2,704,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Why doesn't he borrow his mom's Trailblazer or the Murano? Is your brother his father? Why your brand new truck? lol
Well, like I said, they need a vehicle that seats six people, and a Trailblazer only seats five people. My brother is not his father, but my sister is his mother. I have not even spoken to her about this yet. I'm gonna call later on and see what she says or if she even knows about this.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:31 AM

394 posts, read 2,003,758 times
I have two teenagers, my oldest son is 18. I would definitely say no. The more kids in the car, the noisier and rowdier they are, and the harder it would be for your nephew to concentrate. We used to have a Trailblazer EXT, and it is also a bit harder to drive than a typically sized car or SUV because it's a bit longer. A long trip full of loud teenagers is not the best way for a teenager to learn how it handles. I wouldn't just be worried about the damage your nephew could cause, but I'd be worried about the kid's safety too, especially since you've already noticed your nephew is a little "wild".

Let them take two cars; your nephew could drive one of his parent's cars, and another one of the kids could take their family car. At that age I'm surprised some of the kids don't have their own car.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:34 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Default ``

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
Well, like I said, they need a vehicle that seats six people, and a Trailblazer only seats five people. My brother is not his father, but my sister is his mother. I have not even spoken to her about this yet. I'm gonna call later on and see what she says or if she even knows about this.
So the six of them take TWO cars. It's really no tragedy. Just say no and don't get involved any further. I asked my boyfriend last night about your dilemma and he immediately said that it was their fault for buying their tickets without figuring out how they would get there. Please don't lend him your new car. I've driven I-40 and it's fun twisty mountainous highway to drive. And not the road for your 19 year old nephew to be driving your SUV on.

So do you have gap insurance? And if you do lend him your car, you'd better have your sister and your nephew sign off on an agreement that makes him financially responsible for any damages to that car. Even if it's only a scratch... he has to get it fixed. All seat belts on before the car moves. There is a really really good reason why adults under the age of 25 can't rent a car in the US.

And you'd also want to talk to the other 5 guys that are going in that SUV also. Even their parents. Make very sure that all six sets of parents know what's going on that night and that they are collectively responsible for your new car.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
NO... 1) liability 2) risk of loosing nephew or friends, and being an enabler 3) risk of family contention ...99) risk of damage to car

My teenage sons were very cautious but NEVER drove one of the family cars UNLESS accompanied by us. I have theories about youthful drivers and cars.... I have had to make too many 911 calls, (as a professional driver) and at age 9 witnessed a Corvair going airborne right next to us with 3 kids in a hurry to get to the airport... they didn't make that trip, all three were thrown out and crunched by the car as it did 'end-oo's; suit cases flying everywhere... Kids don't often have very good judgement.

NO... sleep well, or do the kids a favor and take them yourself in a rented minivan with EXTRA liability insurance and a BIG umbrella.... I really appreciate the new 'progressive' driver laws that don't allow teens to drive alone with other teens, Hopefully it will save me some calls, and it is much less fun to make the personal visit to the home of a parent at 3AM with "The news" ... stuff happens... be wise.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:47 AM

355 posts, read 2,704,078 times
Default I just called my sis.........

Quote:
So the six of them take TWO cars. It's really no tragedy. Just say no and don't get involved any further. I asked my boyfriend last night about your dilemma and he immediately said that it was their fault for buying their tickets without figuring out how they would get there. Please don't lend him your new car. I've driven I-40 and it's fun twisty mountainous highway to drive. And not the road for your 19 year old nephew to be driving your SUV on.

So do you have gap insurance? And if you do lend him your car, you'd better have your sister and your nephew sign off on an agreement that makes him financially responsible for any damages to that car. Even if it's only a scratch... he has to get it fixed. All seat belts on before the car moves. There is a really really good reason why adults under the age of 25 can't rent a car in the US.

And you'd also want to talk to the other 5 guys that are going in that SUV also. Even their parents. Make very sure that all six sets of parents know what's going on that night and that they are collectively responsible for your new car.
I just talked to my sister on the telephone and she told me that she did not even know of him going to the concert until now. He is in college currently and lives on campus, therefore they do not talk as much as they used to. She has told me to not let him borrow my nice new vehicle and has said that he is an adult and needs to come up with his own solution and I should not have to lend my vehicle to solve his problem. I guess my answer will be no. I hate to tell him no right before Christmas, but it has to be done. My sister is right though, he is an adult and needs to come up with his own solution. Him and his friends may just have to take two cars and be happy that they are at least going to the concert. They all have their own cars, so I am sure they can come up with some kind of solution.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:25 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
I hate to tell him no right before Christmas, but it has to be done.
Just tell him that his idea was totally uncool. Especially since his mom had no idea that he was going to the concert AND wanting to borrow your car. This shouldn't be a difficult talk to have with your nephew. It's about both his responsibilities and accountability. Borrowing your new SUV is living beyond his means. It's also not for him to borrow. Plus, this sort of thing which could have serious repercussions has to be run by his parents first since he is only 19 years old. After 21 years of age, that's a different matter.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
...After 21 years of age, that's a different matter.
My insurance agent and attorney advised me that even up to age 25 you may have some (kid) liability responsibilities in our state.... thus the mega million umbrella stays in place (much to the Christmas delight of agent)

They were forced to get their own vehicles, titled in their name and on their own policies at 18, but the risk lives on. (not that I'm free from risk myself...)

Old 12-24-2007, 01:55 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Hi, my nephew has just asked me if he can take my new 2008 Nissan Armada LE out of town to Memphis with his freinds for a weekend so that he and his freinds can go and see a concert. He has five freinds and they would all like to go in one car. My nephew is 19, so he is legally able to drive. I am a little circumspect about letting him drive my SUV, considering that I have seen him and his freinds and they are all very wild. I hate to say no to family, but you can't blame me. If he goes out and totals this car, I would be in serious trouble. What should I do? Let him and his freinds drive my vehicle for the weekend or not? He has promised me that he would be careful, but I have seen him drive and he drives carelessly and very fast. Again, what should I do?
I'm 19 and i think that the only way you should let him drive is if he has can put a $50k security deposit for the cost of the Armada. Other than that my answer is no.

A few reasons:
1. a "wild" 19 yr old?
2. In Memphis that brand new car would cause car thieves to a get a gleam in their eyes. (Just ask my HS business teacher who got her Navigator stolen in DC.)
3. would you trust any 19 yr old and five of his friends with a car that expensive?
4. His driving style you have witnessed firsthand.

In short, tell him HELL NO!!!!!!!!!

From a fellow 19 yr old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive