Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 11:58 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,079 times

Advertisements

My car has fog lights. I've always left them in the setting that turns them on automatically when the headlights go on automatically. I figure it's a little extra light and wouldn't that help in the dark?

Is there any reason NOT to turn on the fog lights when there's no fog? I've recently noticed -- either not many cars have fog positioned like mine, or most people don't turn them on under normal darkness driving conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 12:47 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
it doesnt matter under normal driving conditions. where fog lights do make the difference is during inclement weather, fog, rain, snow, etc.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:57 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,496,456 times
I run them with the auto headlights on my SuperCrew. It's definitely no worse than all the folks I see driving on clear, well-lit roads with their high beams on.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:59 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,422,155 times
I have them on, just because I like the way it looks, and I'm more visible.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:38 AM

19,119 posts, read 25,316,835 times
I have taken to using my fog lights at night during all kinds of weather because of their ability to help me see potholes more easily, and thus to avoid those holes. If you haven't noticed this advantage of using your fog lights, I suggest that you give it a try.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Are they fog lights or driving lights? Real fog lights are amber/yellow and many states prohibit their use except in fog. Most people refer to driving lights a fog lights, which is incorrect. Driving lights are clear and are meant to give additional light closer to the vehicle and farther to the sides than the headlamps. They are very useful in dark areas without street lights, in seeing not only potholes as Retriever mentioned, but small animals running across the road, seeing the curbs on narrow roads, and the road dividing lines. They don't really help on the freeway in traffic, so to make the bulbs last longer I will only turn them on when needed.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:11 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,226,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I have them on, just because I like the way it looks, and I'm more visible.
I am the same way as far as fogs are concerned.
I actually changed the fogs to LED... worthless as a light source but looks good.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:13 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
That's right. Fog lights used to be yellow. In fact, back in the 70s I recall seeing European cars with yellow headlights altogether. My truck has "fog" lights and I think they are always on. I don't even know for sure. They are useful in heavy snow.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:56 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,283,224 times
I only use my fog lights when there is fog. Also it is not "free" to use electrical things in a car. You pay for their use via lower gas mileage.

So turn things off when not needed - same at turning off things at home when not needed.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:09 AM

957 posts, read 2,020,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Are they fog lights or driving lights? Real fog lights are amber/yellow and many states prohibit their use except in fog. Most people refer to driving lights a fog lights, which is incorrect. Driving lights are clear and are meant to give additional light closer to the vehicle and farther to the sides than the headlamps. They are very useful in dark areas without street lights, in seeing not only potholes as Retriever mentioned, but small animals running across the road, seeing the curbs on narrow roads, and the road dividing lines. They don't really help on the freeway in traffic, so to make the bulbs last longer I will only turn them on when needed.
There are many fog lights that are not yellow/amber. In fact, I don't recall the last new car I've seen with yellow fogs, not sure about the current laws if they are even allowed.

You are correct though that the beam pattern for fog lights are different than driving lights and some cars have driving lights versus fogs, but both can be clear/white. In our household, we have 3 vehicles with fogs, and 1 with driving lights. All 4 are clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive