Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 06:55 PM

61,726 posts, read 87,147,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
1. Yes. The tailgater is is driving in a reckless and dangerous manner.

2. Yes, of course, I would not deliberately cause an accident. I would tap the brakes as a warning to back off, not to cause an accident. The tailgater was still at fault.
Yup. That's what I do. Not even very gently - to scare but not to cause an accident.
I only drive on fast left lane when I am passing a slower driver on the right. If possible, I never do that when I see a faster driver approaching from behind.
But if someone decides that it's OK to hang on my bumper, then I have no patience for such stupidity. I am not a slow driver. Bear with me for the few seconds, or get scared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 06:59 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,694,001 times
In Texas, too many reasons not to do anything rash.

1. Lot's of people with guns.

2. Even more people driving beaters that don't have insurance.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:58 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
You're not the police, it is not your job the enforce the speed limit. If someone comes up behind you, I don't care if they're doing 100, move over and let them go by once safe to do so.

Arguing they feel entitled to go 10 over the limit, then saying "they'll wait as long as I like", shows it is you who has the entitled attitude.

You are not the police, it is not your job to determine how fast or not someone else goes by dangerously tailgating them. I don't care if they're doing 30, slow down until you can safely pass them. (Try not to have a coronary while doing so, as it seems some on here think they will do if they have to not have pedal to the metal.)

And anyone who tailgates by definition is someone who feels entitled to break the law. Even you.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
Like many others, I fail to see how retaliatory behavior resolves anything. You might find yourself with a bullet through your window for trying to get even with the other driver.

And you might find yourself with a bullet through your window tailgating or insisting that someone go faster because you are impatient, if we're going to go with "let the crazies rule the world because we're scared".

Old 01-17-2019, 08:03 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
This is what I do, as it seems people are ALWAYS on me azz, it must be the Mini, it barely has a booty so it seems like people are unusually close

hmmm....wipers.....
Better get some cheeks it's unsafe to ride around without some protection. LMAO

Old 01-17-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Five years of posts for what? Dealing with tailgaters? How about this? Move over.

How about this? You're nothing special, in fact, the opposite of special, if you tailgate people to try to make them go faster or give you the road.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:06 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
How about this? You're nothing special, in fact, the opposite of special, if you tailgate people to try to make them go faster or give you the road.
Again as we have discussed people don't tailgate for fun it's a last resort kind of thing. I HATE doing it, but you make a stupid move better believe I'm going to be on your a**.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:07 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I once had to shed a pair of drivers who, it became clear, were trying to entrap me to carjack me. Slowing down was part of how I got them to give up. That’s a whole different scenario from garden-variety tailgating, though. The vehicles they drove were brand-spanking-new shiny SUVs...black with dark tinted windows. Probably stolen.
Wow. Where was this?

Old 01-18-2019, 10:17 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Default i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Wow. Where was this?
Not an area I would have expected such things: on US6 heading eastbound, near the Golden/Lakewood boundary, Colorado.

The only good thing was that other cars were around. If something had happened, there would have been witnesses. But I did notice that after I kept slowing down trying to shed them—they were persistent—drivers hurried away to put distance between themselves from us.

I completely avoided eye contact with either of those would-be carjackers. Did not even turn my head, because frankly I expected to see a gun aimed at me.

The whole thing was weird, because I was driving a pickup truck, and not a bling one. BUT it was an all-newly-remodeled model year that, at the time, was “fastest” for its category.

Three years later, someone in TX told me that they had had spates of carjackings done by Russian immigrants using similar tactics.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:57 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
I also have done this. Or at an intersection usually that has collected rocks and gravel there as people turn off.

A co worker of mine told me of a story of a guy following too closely. The guy was right up on his bumper. So the guy behind him, couldnt see anything on the road up ahead. My buddy said he saw a wooden pallet in the lane up ahead, swerving to miss it, in his mirror he saw the car hit it and wood went flying. Keep your distance, your not getting anywhere any quicker.
yeah, "some guy told me... <insert lie here>"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive