Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 08:28 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Never really bothered me that they make it on both sides. And I agree with nylonggamer that it may help with traffic flow.
I think it hurts the flow. Since most stations have two pumps per lane, having the filler on the same side would at least ensure both cars in a lane are facing the same direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 08:35 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
Most pump hoses are able to go over and fill the other side.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:39 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylonggamer View Post
no, it balances the flow of traffic in gas stations
I usually fill up at Costco, where there are 8 or 10 lines of vehicles waiting to fill up. It always amazes me how many people in line pay no attention to which side the tank is on, and have to stretch the hose across the car to reach the tank because they pulled up on the wrong side. There goes you, "Balance the flow of traffic" idea out the window..!
Something no one has mentioned that used to drive me crazy. My company provided me with a Ford truck, which had dual tanks. Both filler doors were on the same side of the vehicle, which was very convenient.
My personal Chevy truck had dual tanks, with a filler on each side of the truck. It was a pain to have to fill one tank, turn the truck around to fill the other tank. The only time I would ever prefer anything about a Ford over a Chevy...

Old 09-27-2014, 09:03 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
I've heard if you drive in the right lane, it should be on the right side of the car. If you run out of gas and need to fill up on the side of the road, you are filling up on the shoulder side, not on the side with cars passing by. But majority of American brand cars don't follow this, so who knows. Most American brand cars fill up on the driver's side.

My '13 Taurus is on the passenger side, which is still taking some getting used to. I still take a second to think about which pump I need to pull up to.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:31 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
My cars are any combination of the above... right, left, rear center, both sides for the Jag, and middle center for my Model A Fords...

Old 09-27-2014, 09:42 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Our old BMW (usually driven by my wife)--on the right.
Our old Volvo--on the left.

I keep it straight by remembering, when I drive the BMW, "The wife is always right, at least in her mind."

I read somewhere that Aston-Martins have a fuel door on each side of the car.

On a Porsche 911, it's in the front-left fender.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:05 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Forgot that my VW Thing has the filler cap inside the front trunk/hood

Old 09-27-2014, 10:29 AM

283 posts, read 349,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I usually fill up at Costco, where there are 8 or 10 lines of vehicles waiting to fill up. It always amazes me how many people in line pay no attention to which side the tank is on, and have to stretch the hose across the car to reach the tank because they pulled up on the wrong side. There goes you, "Balance the flow of traffic" idea out the window..!
Something no one has mentioned that used to drive me crazy. My company provided me with a Ford truck, which had dual tanks. Both filler doors were on the same side of the vehicle, which was very convenient.
My personal Chevy truck had dual tanks, with a filler on each side of the truck. It was a pain to have to fill one tank, turn the truck around to fill the other tank. The only time I would ever prefer anything about a Ford over a Chevy...
well nothing works well when you're dealing with a group of idiots but i havent seen this too often

Old 09-27-2014, 10:44 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
European cars don't show it, but then you know it is on the right.

I do make good use this arrow since I get to rent a lot of cars and they could be either side (since most rentals are US/Japan/Korea made).
My Audi Q5 has an arrow pointed to the right, but my Honda Ridgeline has no arrow. So that's 2 instances against what you said. I don't think there's any hard and fast rule and obviously no one has driven every make and model to know this for a fact.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:47 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
In NJ they pump the gas for you and naturally, sometimes the line for the left pump is 5 cars long whereas there's no line for the right pump. They will always wave you over regardless of where your gas tank is because that's what a long pump hose is for - to reach the other side of a car. Those people who go to the "wrong" line are just smarter than you because they went to the shorter line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive