Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 07:20 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
If someone is on my tail, I let them pass - just slow up, put on the blinker, and let us both get on with our lives. No harm, makes both our drives safer, and takes like 5 seconds.

On the flip side, I really appreciate it when slow traffic lets me by - safer for everyone.
But the OP wasn't "slow traffic" - the OP was driving a bit ABOVE the limit initially, increased to even more above the limit, and then, when that didn't work, drove the legal limit thereafter (as, apparently, the vehicle in front of them did).

We really need to get over the idea that some have that driving the speed limit constitutes being "slow traffic" and be adult and acknowledge that if we're driving above the limit, we're the ones doing something wrong (I know I do and don't blame someone driving legally for not doing same so that I can indulge myself).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 09:25 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,978,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
But the OP wasn't "slow traffic" - the OP was driving a bit ABOVE the limit initially, increased to even more above the limit, and then, when that didn't work, drove the legal limit thereafter (as, apparently, the vehicle in front of them did).
Thank you-yes, this was a fairly unique set of circumstances. It's not as if I had my cruise control pegged at 65 in the far left lane on an interstate highway. If I had pulled over onto the shoulder (which there wasn't much of for most of the way) and let the guy by he would simply have run up the rearend of the car that was about 5 car lengths in front of me. Would it have been the right thing for THAT car to have pulled over too? If so, it would seem to follow that if a person decides to travel in excess of the speed limit on a single lane, no passing allowed roadway, that anyone obeying the speed limit on that roadway should stay out of that person's way.

Usually when I'm on this stretch of road I travel anywhere from 5-10 MPH above the limit because that's about the speed at which other traffic tends to move, and I adjust my speed based on a safe following distance for the conditions. As stated earlier, I was already doing 5 MPH over the limit when the guy first came up on me, and I increased to 10 MPH over the limit, which closed the distance between my car and the car in front, which was now making ME the unsafe driver. That's when I decided to slow down. Finally, it's not as if I at any point, traveled grossly BELOW the speed limit, ie: doing 25 in a 50 MPH no passing zone just to rile the guy. Rather, I doggedly stuck to the posted limit.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:57 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,073 times
I see these psychos often. Yesterday there was a pick up truck riding on my bumper in rush hour traffic when both lanes were full. He wanted me to ride the tail of next car as he pointed by hand. I did not do anything and kept on driving as this guy did not exist. After like 7-8 minutes of driving I found a gap and I moved over and there he goes like crazy and started riding tail of next car.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:05 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Maybe 25% of the time I would do what the OP did - depends on my mood. But especially when I have kids in the car, I would just pull slightly over and let them pass. People are unstable. And they forget about how you "got them" 5 seconds after they pass.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:11 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
I see these psychos often. Yesterday there was a pick up truck riding on my bumper in rush hour traffic when both lanes were full. He wanted me to ride the tail of next car as he pointed by hand. I did not do anything and kept on driving as this guy did not exist. After like 7-8 minutes of driving I found a gap and I moved over and there he goes like crazy and started riding tail of next car.

In addition to the obvious loss of gas mileage by people who drive like that, I always wonder how often they have to get their brake pads replaced.

Tailgating ALWAYS=more braking than would be necessary if someone is keeping an adequate distance between vehicles. So, besides not being able to drive any faster than the car in front of them, these jokers are spending a lot of extra money each year on gas and brakes.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:20 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I will admit, I thoroughly enjoyed how frustrated this person got simply because I chose not to drive like a maniac, but I still feel guilty because of it. Should I?
Nope. I do this to everyone who tailgates me. I am not a slow driver, so there is no reason for anyone to be up my butt. If someone is tailgating I just get slower until they finally go away. Most of them are nutjobs and I can see their crazy driving once they pass me so I am always glad I got rid of them. I'll admit it's fun watching them get anxious when I slow down. It's probably the only entertainment one gets commuting.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Thank you-yes, this was a fairly unique set of circumstances. It's not as if I had my cruise control pegged at 65 in the far left lane on an interstate highway. If I had pulled over onto the shoulder (which there wasn't much of for most of the way) and let the guy by he would simply have run up the rearend of the car that was about 5 car lengths in front of me. Would it have been the right thing for THAT car to have pulled over too? If so, it would seem to follow that if a person decides to travel in excess of the speed limit on a single lane, no passing allowed roadway, that anyone obeying the speed limit on that roadway should stay out of that person's way.
I guess it depends on what your primary objective is. If your primary objective is to ensure your own safety, then let him pass and become someone else's problem to deal with. If your primary objective is to be "right" and put/keep aggressive tailgaters in their place, do what you did. It's your choice and I don't really care either way, but like I said previously... it does you no good to be dead-right.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:53 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,978,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I guess it depends on what your primary objective is. If your primary objective is to ensure your own safety, then let him pass and become someone else's problem to deal with. If your primary objective is to be "right" and put/keep aggressive tailgaters in their place, do what you did. It's your choice and I don't really care either way, but like I said previously... it does you no good to be dead-right.
If at any point I felt unsafe I would have pulled over to the side of the road. I did not feel unsafe.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:59 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
When people do that just pull to the side and let them go. You don't know what is going on in that guy's mind, nor do you know if he has a gun. Even though you were driving sufficiently for the speed limit, he wanted to go faster.

He was tailgating you. What if he hit you? You naturally would pull over. Then BANG! he shoots you.

Hilarious how the guy happens to have a gun and shoots said person. It's right out of the movies.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:42 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Quote:
Today, shortly after pulling out of work I immediately noticed a Jeep JK riding my bumper-young guy driving-maybe about my age (33), maybe a little younger. I'm doing 40 in a section that is 35. My immediate reaction is that its uncomfortable to have this guy right up my rearend so I decide to give him some space and increase my speed to 45-this only seems to encourage him, and he's following even closer than before. At this point I decide to have a little fun.
Pretty sure your whole story is BS, you didn't like that he was tailgating so you decided to be an a$$. It's not your job to police the roads, just let him on by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive