Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 02:28 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times

Advertisements

I normally have Firestone take care of my van but i got a free coupon from John Nolan in the mail, so i went with them. It was just for a free oil change but they check everything over too.

Heres what they came back with:
New Fuel Filter
New Battery <- claim it runs low on their machine?
Coolant Flush
Upper/Lower Radiator Hoses <- claim they feel mushy?
Thermostat/Gasket if i do coolant and hoses
PCV Valve.

Not that they are complete idiots, but Ive never been to JN before and I thoroughly trust my Firestone people so if they had told me, i might be skeptical but trust them. Only because they are very involved with me and explain everything and go over what needs to be done this second and not.

The question is, are they possibly right? What needs done right this second? What can we do ourselves?

** I would have gone to Firestone for the oil change but when i called they wouldnt accept a free change coupon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 02:30 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
What year is your van and its mileage and have you been having regular maintenance done on it?

Old 11-11-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
What year is your van and its mileage and have you been having regular maintenance done on it?
2004 Chevy Venture LT, 124,000 miles and yes as far as regular oil changes, keeping up on things that seem off rather than letting them go and go.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:47 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
Without knowing the actual condition of those items on your van it is impossible for us to say whether or not they need service. When was the last time you had any of those items serviced? The same applies to the garage, unless you told them the last time of service they are merely pitching all those things in hopes of getting you to spend.

A free oil change (or any service) coupon is to get people in the door, car on the lift and then rack up the bill with non-free items. Garage tactics 101.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Without knowing the actual condition of those items on your van it is impossible for us to say whether or not they need service. When was the last time you had any of those items serviced? The same applies to the garage, unless you told them the last time of service they are merely pitching all those things in hopes of getting you to spend.

A free oil change (or any service) coupon is to get people in the door, car on the lift and then rack up the bill with non-free items. Garage tactics 101.
Thanks, that makes me feel better. I think Ill call my normal place and get a 2nd opinion and then get fixed anything that is do or die right away. I dont mind if i need a battery but just telling it its running low on their machine doesnt tell me diddle because I have to trust you used it correctly, read it correctly or even did it to begin with!

Old 11-11-2014, 11:05 PM

381 posts, read 642,919 times
What does your coolant look like? Is it full? Any leaks? Don't want to be stranded with winter here.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:51 PM

Im beginning to believe i dont think they even checked the battery. In the Venture it does not sit right on top. You have to remove the fuse box, remove the cross bar and even then the negative terminal is on the back of the battery. Theres NO way they did all that just to test a battery. You cant simply stick the probe down there and get to it. (under where red arrow is pointing)

Coolant was a little low (not too much and I added it back to normal, thats was a month or more ago). No other issues.

OH I forgot to mention this part! So my check engine light is on. Its because my gas cap is weird if you dont get it on all the way. No biggie. I go in and after she says " you know your check engine light is on?" " yeah it has a mind of its own".....in my head im thinking " youre the mechanic, shouldnt you be telling me?"

In other news my trusting place is fine to give me opinion but after checking the exact location of the battery terminal and laughing at the check engine light, im thinking John Nolan is a JOKE.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:59 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Sure you can, being able to work on your own vehicle is a HUGE asset.

Pretty good starter book:

Auto Repair for Dummies: Portable Edition: Deanna Sclar: 9781118138625: Amazon.com: Books

Old 11-12-2014, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Sure you can, being able to work on your own vehicle is a HUGE asset.

Pretty good starter book:

Auto Repair for Dummies: Portable Edition: Deanna Sclar: 9781118138625: Amazon.com: Books
I did find a youtube video on removing the battery (which is how i know they likely didnt test it) and I did find Walmart so far has the cheapest battery $69.17 with install or i can buy it and do it myself from the junk yard at $40.

I also looked over the hoses on the radiator and other than being dirty, to me they feel normal. As in no cracks, leaks, crumbling areas. (another use for youtube)

Old 11-12-2014, 06:42 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,210,139 times
If somebody gave me a free battery that tests good from a salvage yard I might use it in my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive