Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 07:47 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
If somebody gave me a free battery that tests good from a salvage yard I might use it in my car.
I take a look at batteries whenever I go to a yard to see if there is anything with recent dates on them. I have purchased 2 batteries from a yard, the first one got me 5 years, the second one is approaching a year and is still in use. Other times people get duds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 10:52 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I take a look at batteries whenever I go to a yard to see if there is anything with recent dates on them. I have purchased 2 batteries from a yard, the first one got me 5 years, the second one is approaching a year and is still in use. Other times people get duds!
Fair enough...I would have never thought you would find a good one. I have a diesel so my battery is pretty expensive.

I guess if you can check the date, voltage, and water level you might be able to make an informed decision.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:29 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
A free oil change (or any service) coupon is to get people in the door, car on the lift and then rack up the bill with non-free items. Garage tactics 101.
More common than you would imagine! In fact I wish most people understood that their "friendly mechanic" who works at the Dealership where they take all their vehicles is pushed hard to make sales quotas each week (and if not each week then it's each month). If they don't do well at making the Dealership (or privately operated Garage where they work) money, they are replaced by someone who does. No one talks about this, but anyone on the inside knows this is how Garages make money and stay in business and if you really think about it, it is common sense (not evil, just the way any business under pressure to make more profit operates).

The best way to handle automotive repairs is to take care of them yourself. The second best way is to have someone else do the work. In either scenario, you need to take a look at your vehicle manual and look up the service schedule to know what needs to be done in what time frame (or what specific mileage). None of this information is secret, it's all available in your manual (or online if you lost the manual). Meanwhile, when driving your vehicle in-between those scheduled times/mileages, fix anything that is broken.

The common sense that is thrown out the window when having others work on your car tell you what needs to be done is amazing... if something isn't broken or scheduled for replacement, don't do it! If a mechanic tells you that something looks out of the ordinary and is potentially dangerous... then take a look yourself and then if in any doubt, do some research online. If you are told to replace 100.00 in filters, first take a look at your manual and see if that is really the situation. Understand that the labor bill you will receive to replace these filters is nearly all profit for the Garage and if they are not really dirty or damaged, you are wasting your money. It's basic, it's easy, and you will not be paying extra money just to line the pockets of your local Dealership or Garage.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:29 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
Ohky, the problem is with your van it is more difficult to work on, as you well know by now by the placement of the battery.

Get a good grip on those hoses and mash them with your fist. If they are firm like a good cucumber, they are good to go. If they crush like a wet sponge get them done.

Get yourself a new OEM fuel tank cap online or at a Delco dealer. A lot of them have been redesigned due to the evap emissions systems on our GM rigs. I've had to replace the evap filters on both my GMC trucks twice in the last ten years, and the gas cap on his rig because it had been redesigned.

Age is an important factor, if all of the items on the list are original to when the vehicle was new then I would recommend them. The parts are cheap.

That being said, if you've been a client at your Firestone store for a long time they are taking good care of you. I have six Fstone stores here as clients. There's a reason thy are busy, for the most part they are pretty decent.

I believe the only fuel filter is the one inside your fuel tank. ETA nope, you have an inline filter that is most likely located on the fuel lines running up the frame rails.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,6200

It's a common maintenance item that should be changed every 30K miles or so; I'll bet your Fstone store has done it already.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:49 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I did find a youtube video on removing the battery (which is how i know they likely didnt test it) and I did find Walmart so far has the cheapest battery $69.17 with install or i can buy it and do it myself from the junk yard at $40.

I also looked over the hoses on the radiator and other than being dirty, to me they feel normal. As in no cracks, leaks, crumbling areas. (another use for youtube)

Good for you, just be prepared to screw up once in a while.

Get a cheap multimeter and learn how to use it....that will be one of your best tools. This is a pretty good meter for 40 bucks + shipping, kinda like a cheap Fluke, gets good reviews:

Aidetek: VC99+ 3 6/7 Auto range digital multimeter w/ analog bar compared with FLUKE=

Lots of very good Youtube videos on auto repair.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:43 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Ohky, the problem is with your van it is more difficult to work on, as you well know by now by the placement of the battery.

Get a good grip on those hoses and mash them with your fist. If they are firm like a good cucumber, they are good to go. If they crush like a wet sponge get them done.

Get yourself a new OEM fuel tank cap online or at a Delco dealer. A lot of them have been redesigned due to the evap emissions systems on our GM rigs. I've had to replace the evap filters on both my GMC trucks twice in the last ten years, and the gas cap on his rig because it had been redesigned.

Age is an important factor, if all of the items on the list are original to when the vehicle was new then I would recommend them. The parts are cheap.

That being said, if you've been a client at your Firestone store for a long time they are taking good care of you. I have six Fstone stores here as clients. There's a reason thy are busy, for the most part they are pretty decent.

I believe the only fuel filter is the one inside your fuel tank. ETA nope, you have an inline filter that is most likely located on the fuel lines running up the frame rails.

2004 CHEVROLET VENTURE Fuel Filter

It's a common maintenance item that should be changed every 30K miles or so; I'll bet your Fstone store has done it already.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Good for you, just be prepared to screw up once in a while.

Get a cheap multimeter and learn how to use it....that will be one of your best tools. This is a pretty good meter for 40 bucks + shipping, kinda like a cheap Fluke, gets good reviews:

Aidetek: VC99+ 3 6/7 Auto range digital multimeter w/ analog bar compared with FLUKE=

Lots of very good Youtube videos on auto repair.
I have one and thats how after watching the video, i discovered if i ever need a jump- good luck getting to that negative terminal! I cant even reach a volt meter probe down there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive