Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 05:31 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by us2indaup View Post
I just have to vent my puzzlement - how the hell do vehicles get so many miles on them??? Husband & I have been looking at used vehicles lately, 10 to 12 year old SUV's mostly, and I'm amazed at what dealers consider "low miles" for a 10 year old vehicle. Anything over 100,000 is high miles, in my book! My car is 7 years old and has 44,000 miles on it. Husband's truck is 9 years old and has 80,000. How on earth do ten year old vehicles get 150,000 miles on them - do the owners just drive them around in circles to watch the odometer turn over for entertainment?!?!
15k a year is average mileage

Also cars these days are generally lasting longer than 100,000 miles. Many can operate fine upwards of 300,000 miles with decent maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 05:39 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
I just have to vent my puzzlement - how the hell do vehicles get so many miles on them??? Husband & I have been looking at used vehicles lately, 10 to 12 year old SUV's mostly, and I'm amazed at what dealers consider "low miles" for a 10 year old vehicle. Anything over 100,000 is high miles, in my book! My car is 7 years old and has 44,000 miles on it. Husband's truck is 9 years old and has 80,000. How on earth do ten year old vehicles get 150,000 miles on them - do the owners just drive them around in circles to watch the odometer turn over for entertainment?!?!
I used to do a 44 mile commute each way; that's how cars get over 150k on them in less than ten years. Thankfully I am now working five miles from the house and life is a lot less stressful.

What I don't understand is the ASKING price on these high mileage vehicles. I have seen vehicles that have over 100k on the odometer with asking prices roughly 3/4 or better of the price on the same model NEW car.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:43 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times
I drive 16 miles round trip commuting to & from work. Including side trips, errands, and shopping it averages to around 5,000 miles a year. Over 10 years that amounts to an average of about 50,000 miles. This does not include vacation travel which varies. Let's say I travel an average of 400 miles from home for vacation. Including side trips at my destination that averages to another 1,000 miles per year which brings my total average up to 60,000. Not everyone lives within 8 miles from work and some travel more often running errands for their kids' school (sports, band, clubs, etc) and personal entertainment (movies, dinner, dancing, etc). Some travel further for vacation, some use their vehicle as part of their job, and some visit long distance friends and relatives.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:09 AM

787 posts, read 780,885 times
49,XXX miles on my car and I bought it in October of 2008.

My work commute is 12 miles roundtrip so I do 3,000 or so miles a year for work and the rest is driving into the city, road trips, errands, etc.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:49 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,750 times
Quote:
I just have to vent my puzzlement - how the hell do vehicles get so many miles on them??? ... How on earth do ten year old vehicles get 150,000 miles on them - do the owners just drive them around in circles to watch the odometer turn over for entertainment?!?!
In the census data from this link there are 71 million full-time workers averaging almost 19 mile commutes (each way) on a daily basis. It also shows that approximately 80% of these people drove alone. These statistics mean the overwhelming majority of America is putting on close to 10,000 miles per year just getting to and from work.

Personally, just sold a 12 year old car with 255k and have an 11 year old Suburban with 155k which is our "low mileage" family hauler.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:20 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
Both our cars are "grandma" garage queens : 05 deVille - 55K AND 09 Lexus - 20K

Love them and just hope not to get in a wreck.

Of course, wife and I are old enough to be grandparents. LOL

Old 11-21-2014, 01:56 PM

417 posts, read 1,128,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [U
more[/u]Retriever;37353908]Instead of being incredulous about cars with "high mileage", I am amazed that you have apparently driven less than 6,300 miles per year with your car, and your husband has driven less than 9,000 miles annually with his car. Both of you drive much less than the national average.

Especially in the case of your car, I really hope that you change the oil and do other maintenance on the basis of elapsed time, rather than on the basis of odometer mileage.
If you are changing oil on the basis of odometer mileage, your engine is likely clogged with damaging oil sludge.

We actually change the oil like clockwork every 3 months, regardless of the odometer reading, and always have it done at the dealership. I never thought about it until now, but it's a good thing we do go to the dealership, so there's a record for Carfax, because if our mileage actually is below normal, it may look suspicious to future buyers. Having always lived in rural, somewhat remote areas, I never realized that urban dwellers may actually drive further to work than the 8 miles round trip I drive, or the 35 miles my husband had to. When seeking jobs, I have never considered applying for any that are more than 15 miles away, it simply isn't worth it if you factor in all the expenses of commuting, not to mention the time involved. As for picking kids up & dropping them off, that's what school busses are for - our daughter always rode the bus, as did I. We take one vacation a year, using husband's truck, which is primarily why his mileage is more than my vehicle has. I'm guess I'm still just trying to understand why the average mileages are so high. Oh well, it is what it is, but I'm definitely going to seek out a vehicle with under 100,000 if I ever buy used - we've always bought new until now.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Here's a rant....why the hell did the OP create a duplicate thread ten minutes after the first covering the same topic?

More of a rant.............

I didn't know I did??????? Must have been a glitch.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:44 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
We actually change the oil like clockwork every 3 months, regardless of the odometer reading, and always have it done at the dealership. I never thought about it until now, but it's a good thing we do go to the dealership, so there's a record for Carfax, because if our mileage actually is below normal, it may look suspicious to future buyers. Having always lived in rural, somewhat remote areas, I never realized that urban dwellers may actually drive further to work than the 8 miles round trip I drive, or the 35 miles my husband had to. When seeking jobs, I have never considered applying for any that are more than 15 miles away, it simply isn't worth it if you factor in all the expenses of commuting, not to mention the time involved. As for picking kids up & dropping them off, that's what school busses are for - our daughter always rode the bus, as did I. We take one vacation a year, using husband's truck, which is primarily why his mileage is more than my vehicle has. I'm guess I'm still just trying to understand why the average mileages are so high. Oh well, it is what it is, but I'm definitely going to seek out a vehicle with under 100,000 if I ever buy used - we've always bought new until now.
Yeah, you are the exception to the rule. People won't rule out a job because it is 15-20 miles further out. They just won't. I know I wouldn't

Old 11-22-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Yeah, you are the exception to the rule. People won't rule out a job because it is 15-20 miles further out. They just won't. I know I wouldn't
I've come to realize that my priorities are different than most. My time is more valuable to me than the extra few dollars I'd make if I worked an hour away. And it would take math skills I just don't possess to figure out how much more it would cost in $$$ to travel to determine if one would actually come out ahead in the big picture commuting further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive