Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the law?
The left lane is the only lane reserved for passing 21 46.67%
Use only the right lane, the middle and left lanes are all reserved for passing 7 15.56%
Our law only requires you to move right if you're slow 13 28.89%
We don't have a keep right law 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 08:23 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,320,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
In a perfect world where people kept left except to pass I would agree with you.

Keeping to the left except when passing is not my definition of a perfect world.
Did you mean to say, "keeping to the right except when passing", or...perhaps...do you live in The UK?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 11:30 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,552,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Keeping to the left except when passing is not my definition of a perfect world.
Did you mean to say, "keeping to the right except when passing", or...perhaps...do you live in The UK?

Yes, I meant right. I've been exhausted lately, something was bound to give.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Quote:
So...in Quebec, if somebody is driving very slowly in the left lane, then everyone else is required to follow him/her at glacial speed and not pass on the right?

If that is the case, then the authorities in your province have some very strange reasoning, and there must be a lot of unnecessary road congestion.

Most will pass on the right if some moron is holding up the passing lane, but passing on the right is illegal and sometimes people get tickets for passing on the right .

Old 12-08-2014, 02:16 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Most will pass on the right if some moron is holding up the passing lane, but passing on the right is illegal and sometimes people get tickets for passing on the right .
Interesting dilemma for an officer who observes someone passing on the right... do you pull over the right-lane passer or the left-lane barnacle?

Old 12-08-2014, 01:30 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
So...in Quebec, if somebody is driving very slowly in the left lane, then everyone else is required to follow him/her at glacial speed and not pass on the right?

If that is the case, then the authorities in your province have some very strange reasoning, and there must be a lot of unnecessary road congestion.

Actually, the usual behaviour in response to left-lane hogging in Quebec is to move in to within about 10 cm of the offender's rear bumper, and flash your lights incessantly until he moves over to the right lane.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:56 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Interesting dilemma for an officer who observes someone passing on the right... do you pull over the right-lane passer or the left-lane barnacle?
Assuming both actions are actually illegal, there's nothing saying the officer can't pull them both over, or pull one over and radio another officer to grab the other.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:06 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times
In many areas the interstates are so congested I'm imagine it makes the passing lane laws useless and rightfully so.. if it's so busy all lanes are full you can't expect everyone in the left lane to move over so you can go faster than the flow of traffic. It's just not gonna happen... people who want to go 95 while everyone else is going 80 can go pound sand.

In all other situations I support the keep right law and many people do not follow this because they are lazy and do not want to watch for merging traffic, OR they have some passion about going the speed limit and think nobody should go faster than the speed limit so it's a political cause for them.... less common.. people without cruise control who get distracted texting and suddenly they are slowing down... so you see them all over the interstate going from 65 to 85.. passing you, you passing them back...oblivious to their speed... very irritating.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:38 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post

So the question: what's the law in your area?

Does not matter. The cops in my area only look for speeders and ignore all the other traffic laws.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:51 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,901,648 times
I like the rural Texas tradition of briefly riding on the paved shoulder of a two-lane to allow faster traffic to pass.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:58 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Don't know about other states but on I-75 all 'yield' signs entering the highway have been removed and all the 'slower traffic keep right' have been removed. So you can now cut someone off entering the highway at 40 mph and go right over to the left lane and drive at 40 mph. A new law was passed to stop laggers in the left lane 'impeding traffic' but I've never seen it enforced.

It's the same in Michigan and Ohio. Slower traffic keep right is unknown in those states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive