Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 08:08 PM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
You can get the v10 in 6 spd manual, would that make the difference? I haven't looked at any r8 forums, but I can't seem to wrap my head around why everyone would love the 8 over the 10 with the massive hp difference. Maybe there's more to it.
Both were great but the V10 wasn't 40k better

Old 01-29-2015, 08:23 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Am I the only one who thinks the R8 is kinda lame? I like the front end, but the rest of the car is too Germanic for my tastes (read: cold n boring). The powertrain is fantastic, but I just dont like the overall execution. I would far prefer a 458, LF-A, or Viper.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:44 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,048,483 times
It sounds like I fit the general opinion here. The R8 is a great combination of almost supercar but easily usable as a daily driver. That makes it special, as there is a very short list of cars that fit that market.

Pure sex appeal in automotive form generally comes from Italy for me. Daily drivability comes from elsewhere.

Think of the engine options as you would with the Mustang. The V6 mustang continues to sell well in retail settings (not starting the fleet and rental discussion) because a sporty coupe with 300hp is appealing enough to most drivers to feel lively yet costs less to own, operate, insure. For a practicality level, it will work for many where the additional hp (and weight) of the GT comes at a substantial cost. R8 version of the story is similar in that the additional power of the 5.2 comes at a very substantial cost and the return is not useful often enough to make a lot of people want to spend the $.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:22 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,272,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the R8 is kinda lame? I like the front end, but the rest of the car is too Germanic for my tastes (read: cold n boring). The powertrain is fantastic, but I just dont like the overall execution. I would far prefer a 458, LF-A, or Viper.
Personally I think it looks like a TT with a body kit. That's not a good thing in my opinion.

I don't think it's lame, there are just other cars with similar or better performance at that price point I'd prefer, the Lotus Exige S and the Ariel Atom 3S to name two. Of course neither one is practical as a Daily Driver, but the R8 isn't really either unless practical means you can carry a briefcase, coffee cup and tablet, but all three can manage that (unless it's raining and you're driving the Atom). None are going to carry a golf bag and passenger at the same time.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:47 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,079,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Personally I think it looks like a TT with a body kit. That's not a good thing in my opinion.

I don't think it's lame, there are just other cars with similar or better performance at that price point I'd prefer, the Lotus Exige S and the Ariel Atom 3S to name two. Of course neither one is practical as a Daily Driver, but the R8 isn't really either unless practical means you can carry a briefcase, coffee cup and tablet, but all three can manage that (unless it's raining and you're driving the Atom). None are going to carry a golf bag and passenger at the same time.
The R8 is infinitely more comfortable to actually drive daily. It's significantly more comfortable and easier to drive when compared to the cars you mentioned and its not simply an issue of space. I can drive an R8 through an 80 mile round trip commute or on a long road trip. Doing the same in the Lotus or Ariel Atom is certainly doable but you'll be far more miserable as a result. There are two R8's near my work that I see parked almost daily which means that the owners are actually driving the cars rather than letting them sit in a garage. The package is certainly there and I see the appeal. Exotic styling, plenty of power and far more refinement than expected.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
The R8 is infinitely more comfortable to actually drive daily. It's significantly more comfortable and easier to drive when compared to the cars you mentioned and its not simply an issue of space. I can drive an R8 through an 80 mile round trip commute or on a long road trip. Doing the same in the Lotus or Ariel Atom is certainly doable but you'll be far more miserable as a result. There are two R8's near my work that I see parked almost daily which means that the owners are actually driving the cars rather than letting them sit in a garage. The package is certainly there and I see the appeal. Exotic styling, plenty of power and far more refinement than expected.
It's not like I haven't driven one. In that style and price of car, it's not about comfort, you can get very comfortable cars for $120k+, and you can get better performance for $120k+ can you get better together? Who cares, people don't spend $120k+ on a car for dual purpose, they're compromising on comfort, or performance, or both.

If I want to drive 80 miles there and back while in a coma then the R8 isn't on my list either. I can pick up a Camry that will do that for $160k less than the R8 (actually the only R8 I'd own), even if I want a compromise a Z06 LT4 Supercharged Vette hardtop at around half of the price of the V10 R8 (and I'm sure people would argue it Z06 isn't a compromise).

Different strokes.

Like I said I don't think it's lame, it's got a Gallardo drivetrain in the only model I'd entertain. However it just doesn't do it for me, I see no reason to buy it from a practicality stand point (no one will ever convince me an R8 is practical), from a performance standpoint (there is better cheaper), or even a compromise standpoint. I just personally think there are better options than the R8 depending on my criteria.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:34 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,079,146 times
Quote:
It's not like I haven't driven one. In that style and price of car, it's not about comfort, you can get very comfortable cars for $120k+, and you can get better performance for $120k+ can you get better together? Who cares, people don't spend $120k+ on a car for dual purpose, they're compromising on comfort, or performance, or both.

If I want to drive 80 miles there and back while in a coma then the R8 isn't on my list either. I can pick up a Camry that will do that for $160k less than the R8 (actually the only R8 I'd own), even if I want a compromise a Z06 LT4 Supercharged Vette hardtop at around half of the price of the V10 R8 (and I'm sure people would argue it Z06 isn't a compromise).

Different strokes.

Like I said I don't think it's lame, it's got a Gallardo drivetrain in the only model I'd entertain. However it just doesn't do it for me, I see no reason to buy it from a practicality stand point (no one will ever convince me an R8 is practical), from a performance standpoint (there is better cheaper), or even a compromise standpoint. I just personally think there are better options than the R8 depending on my criteria.
The people who can afford to daily drive an R8 have little interest in Toyota's or Chevrolet's. Not because they are bad cars (they are good for their price) but because they can afford more and are willing to do it. You're absolutely correct that you can get either a more comfortable car or one with higher performance but its tough to find one that balances both well while looking the way it does. Maybe you don't care for a car that offers such a balance but plenty of other people are. The owners of the less attractive (my opinion) Ferrari FF bought the car for similar reasons. Outstanding performance, Ferrari badge, easy to live with.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
The people who can afford to daily drive an R8 have little interest in Toyota's or Chevrolet's. Not because they are bad cars (they are good for their price) but because they can afford more and are willing to do it.
Point being that if you want a comfortable easy to drive car you don't buy an R8, if you're looking for a $120k+ performance car, you don't buy an R8. If you want something that's both you have screwed up priorities spit that budget and buy one of each (the Exige S and Camry come to less than an entry level R8). If you feel like you must keep them together then the reason for the decision is to do with neither comfort, nor performance.

However claiming buying an Audi is making a statement is pretty ludicrous. Lotus makes a statement, Ferrari makes a statement, Lamborghini makes a statement, Maserati makes a statement, Pagani makes a statement, Bentley makes a statement. Audi R8 makes around the same statement as Nissan GT-R, which is that it's a normal pedestrian manufacturers supercar offering (now a Nismo GT-R is getting to making a statement). Call me a snob if you must, but Audi is not a marque I consider prestigious.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:18 PM

137 posts, read 144,219 times
Quote:
Point being that if you want a comfortable easy to drive car you don't buy an R8, if you're looking for a $120k+ performance car, you don't buy an R8. If you want something that's both you have screwed up priorities spit that budget and buy one of each (the Exige S and Camry come to less than an entry level R8). If you feel like you must keep them together then the reason for the decision is to do with neither comfort, nor performance.
I just placed an order on a 2014 v10, so naturally I think this is a bit simplistic and short-sighted.

I currently own 3 vehicles. A race car that is not street legal, a Ford Raptor, and a Porsche. I'm selling the Porsche to make room for the Audi.

I don't want to own four vehicles. That would require I park one of my vehicles on the street, which I don't want to do. This is the predominant reason I am self-restricting to 3 (total) cars.

Manual gearboxes are essential to me. v10 R8's are the best new vehicles in the world that currently offer a manual transmission, in my opinion. I thought long and hard about buying a used 430 w/ manual gearbox, and I may come to regret not getting one. It was a tough decision but I'm feeling good about my Audi order as of now. We'll see in a year.

If Ferrari made a 458 Italia with a manual gearbox, I would own one. I think it's the most beautiful car of the modern era, etc. But for me, it lacks what is a fundamental aspect of the driving experience.

I also disagree that rational people buying high-end performance vehicles need to take a "one or the other approach." Pretty much every sports car north of 100k with the exception of maybe a gt3, is a blend of comfort, usability, and performance. Invariably different models lean one way or another. But the amount of "race cars for the street" as the cliche goes, is actually quite small if you get into the nitty gritty real world ownership experience. IMHO.

You DO buy an r8 if you're looking for a performance car. My friend currently owns a v10 r8 and a 599 F car. He prefers the 599 overall, but only slightly. He is not looking to sell the R8 any time soon, it offers unique pleasures on the street to the 599.

Most folks over on r8 forums seem to own several high end sports cars.
However claiming buying an Audi is making a statement is pretty ludicrous. Lotus makes a statement, Ferrari makes a statement, Lamborghini makes a statement, Maserati makes a statement, Pagani makes a statement, Bentley makes a statement. Audi R8 makes around the same statement as Nissan GT-R, which is that it's a normal pedestrian manufacturers supercar offering (now a Nismo GT-R is getting to making a statement). Call me a snob if you must, but Audi is not a marque I consider prestigious.

[/quote]

I agree with most of this (short Lotus and Maserati). If you tell people you own an Audi, it does not get the same reaction as a Ferrari, obviously.

The thing about an R8 is that, in my opinion and experience rolling around in one, most normal people look at it and think "super car." I know I did/do. It just looks exotic. You think it's unattractive so maybe that is where our fundamental difference of opinion lies.

I think most car people would have a laugh hearing that a GTR is comparable to an R8 in terms of brand status , as did I. But that's as subjective as it gets. You're entitled to feel that way of course.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingforarip View Post
I currently own 3 vehicles. A race car that is not street legal, a Ford Raptor, and a Porsche. I'm selling the Porsche to make room for the Audi.

I don't want to own four vehicles. That would require I park one of my vehicles on the street, which I don't want to do. This is the predominant reason I am self-restricting to 3 (total) cars.
Not really, you can't afford $200 a month to pay secure storage on the race car, but can drop $150k on a V10 R8? You shouldn't be driving it anywhere anyway. My (former) track cars all stayed with my race engineer, he had the space, and he did the work, I just drove them, told him how they felt and shared any winnings (of which there was never much, but we had fun not making them).

Quote:
I also disagree that rational people buying high-end performance vehicles need to take a "one or the other approach." Pretty much every sports car north of 100k with the exception of maybe a gt3, is a blend of comfort, usability, and performance. Invariably different models lean one way or another. But the amount of "race cars for the street" as the cliche goes, is actually quite small if you get into the nitty gritty real world ownership experience. IMHO.
My opinion, I'm a gear head, if I have to climb through a roll cage to get to the seat, and a parking brake comes as an optional extra I'm not going to be concerned if I'm buying a performance car. If I'm buying a family run around, then those things are not feasible and I won't consider such a car. There is no middle ground, they're compromises and chances are most of the comfort is going to be stripped out of the performance car anyway to drop weight, I don't want an air conditioner in a performance car, I don't want heated seats, I don't even want a radio, it interferes with the sounds of the engine, transmission, tires and road.

Quote:
You DO buy an r8 if you're looking for a performance car. My friend currently owns a v10 r8 and a 599 F car. He prefers the 599 overall, but only slightly. He is not looking to sell the R8 any time soon, it offers unique pleasures on the street to the 599.
You did, I'm providing my opinion, my opinion is my opinion and neither right or wrong. How your friend feels about his R8 is fine, good for him. I've said the R8 is solid, but isn't top of the line performance for the price point, and isn't top of the line comfort for the price point. Even then those terms are variant because what I consider comfort and performance and what you consider comfort and performance are entirely different things.

Quote:
Most folks over on r8 forums seem to own several high end sports cars.
How do you know? How can you confirm anyone's identity, stable, location or bank balance to know? How many people on there are talking about their Forza Motorsport, or Gran Turismo "ownership"?

Quote:
I agree with most of this (short Lotus and Maserati). If you tell people you own an Audi, it does not get the same reaction as a Ferrari, obviously.
Ah, but Lotus and Maserati have the pedigree, and Lotus has improved significantly since the 70's and 80's Esprit styles. They went back to their roots of the Colin Chapman days lightweight and, decent output, with minimal bells and whistles (of course true to British car manufacturing they're in and out of receivership). Maserati have never looked "Supercar" they're more luxury and more affordable than a typical Ferrari (and owned by Ferrari too) and where else can you get Pininfarina styling on a production car other than Ferrari?

Quote:
The thing about an R8 is that, in my opinion and experience rolling around in one, most normal people look at it and think "super car." I know I did/do. It just looks exotic. You think it's unattractive so maybe that is where our fundamental difference of opinion lies.
I don't think it's particularly unattractive, I just think it's "plain" like I mentioned it looks like a late model TT with a body kit. It just doesn't do it for me. The Gallardo though... that did it for me.

Quote:
I think most car people would have a laugh hearing that a GTR is comparable to an R8 in terms of brand status , as did I. But that's as subjective as it gets. You're entitled to feel that way of course.
Only if you think that Audi as a brand is more prestigious than Nissan, personally I don't I know VW positioned Audi to be it's luxury marque, but it's the same VW more or less as the Rabbit. R8 vs GT-R brand wise no comparison, GT-R it has pedigree from the Skyline GT-R's, R8 is the first and only model of it's line, we'll see how it goes over the next 20 years.

However that said think about it, it's not as ridiculous as it sounds. The Nissan GT-R is $100k pushes in excess of 500hp, for $150k you're getting 600hp. Both are AWD with traction control, stability control and all the electronic do-dads that make average drivers feel like they're Ayrton Senna. They're both mass market manufacturers, and they're both their prestige model. Both have very distinct styling cues not found in their typical marque (i.e. it's not likely you'll mistake either a GT-R or an R8 for a typical Nissan or Audi).

They're both firmly planted (along with the Corvette) in the achievable ownership performance territory, sure if you're a blue collar employee they might as well be a LaFerrari or McLaren P1, but in many higher paid professions they're priced high but achievable.

Comparison testing of the GT-R is pretty startling, it was second and four seconds slower than a LP560-4 around the Isle of Man, but was Japanese Spec and limited to a maximum speed of only 112mph with the R8 and Lotus Elise finishing up (I've run the IoM TT course on a sport bike and there are sections I hit over 190mph if that road test was in one or entering one of those sections then that result is incredible). It holds the same time as a Pagani Zonda F on the Top Gear Test Track too (1.17.8s) the current (2015) model. So while many car people may laugh, they're probably not laughing for the right reason, the current Nismo GT-R is something else for the price, and I'd take one in preference to an R8, but that said I'd still prefer an Atom 3S or a Exige S (although after looking into the GT-R... it might be something to consider ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive