Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 05:00 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,704,014 times

Advertisements

Anyone going this year?

Overall this years car list isn't as impressive as last years but there are a few vehicles that have my attention:

1965 Superperformance Shelby Daytona Coupe
Barrett-Jackson - The World's Greatest Collector Car Events™

1966 Superperformance Ford GT40

1970 Plymouth HEMI 'Cuda

1967 Shelby Cobra 427

1970 Plymouth HEMI 'Cuda

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Badge #1
Barrett-Jackson - The World's Greatest Collector Car Eventsâ„¢

2008 Plymouth 'Cuda SRT8 Concept Car

1969 Chevrolet COPO Chevelle

Any particular vehicles you have an interest in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 05:03 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,047,807 times
The Hemi 'Cudas - hell yeah!!!

Old 01-09-2008, 05:27 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,710,724 times
Can't miss The Barrett-Jackson, SpeedyAZ

I haven't missed a show in years and have never been disappointed . . . except by the weather a couple of times.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:27 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,632,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Anyone going this year?

Overall this years car list isn't as impressive as last years but there are a few vehicles that have my attention:

1965 Superperformance Shelby Daytona Coupe

1966 Superperformance Ford GT40

1970 Plymouth HEMI 'Cuda

1967 Shelby Cobra 427

1970 Plymouth HEMI 'Cuda

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Badge #1

2008 Plymouth 'Cuda SRT8 Concept Car

1969 Chevrolet COPO Chevelle

Any particular vehicles you have an interest in?
I'm partial to Mopars but I'll take the 67 Shelby!

Old 01-09-2008, 05:46 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
Oh Man don't mention Barrett-Jackson. It's because of them that muscle cars are all out of reach price-wise to anyone except millionaires who want to put them in a garage and look at them until they die. I just can't beleive what classic cars are selling for there. This Barret-Jackson craze just started about 4 years ago or so.

If there is any example that we have A LOT of people in the U.S. with just too much money, it's Barrett-Jackson. It's almost like "hey I think I will spend $75,000 for something cool, not sure what it's worth, but I can afford it". Now I'm seeing early 60's galaxy station wagons selling for $100,000 there. I want to shake these people that are bidding and say "what in the world are you doing bidding so much for that car for??".

It's entertaining to watch, but it's sometimes depressing to see these rich guys gobble up all the cars that will probably sit in a garage. And then you get every Joe Blow that has a rusted through 1971 Nova on bricks on his front yard thinking he has a goldmine sitting there rusting away.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:40 PM

You wanna see something depressing go to a site called Cars In Barns dot com. That's depressing!!!

Old 01-09-2008, 06:42 PM

I wanted to add - what really depresses me is seeing the "Wing Cars" just rotting because some old coot thinks they're gonna fix it up some day.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:04 PM

100 posts, read 427,764 times
I plan on tuning in like always. Love watching, especially the muscle cars like the hemi 'cuda and shelbys.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:27 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,704,014 times
Quote:
Oh Man don't mention Barrett-Jackson. It's because of them that muscle cars are all out of reach price-wise to anyone except millionaires who want to put them in a garage and look at them until they die. I just can't beleive what classic cars are selling for there. This Barret-Jackson craze just started about 4 years ago or so.
Not necessarily, you're correct about muscle cars started gaining huge amounts of popularity starting about 5 years ago but it really isn't to blame on Barrett-Jackson. If anything blame it on the baby boom generation who statistically have more disposable income than any other generation currently. If you look at some of the "big bucks" bidders who drop a million plus on a car, you notice these people are usually part of that baby boom generation- Alan Jones, Ron Pratt, Dave Ressler.

This generation grew up around muscle cars and many of them now want to relive those days because now they can actually afford their dream machine. Because of the high percentage of disposable income, you see baby boomers living a jet-set lifestyle which was basically unheard of in past generations; past generations moved to Florida and live their glory years but not this one. I don't see a problem with them wanting to relive their teenager years, without their desire to go fast in the 60's and early 70's, we wouldn't have had a muscle car era.

I guess I defend the baby-boom generation just because both of my parents are a part of it. I know my dad has worked damn hard throughout his lifetime to get what he has and now if he wants to drop $100K on a muscle car he dreamed about when he was a teenager, he should be able to do it without people saying anything. He bought a Corvette last year and I think he's eyeing a couple vehicles this year.

And you CAN still buy into the muscle-car market for less than $30K but you just can't get anything with HEMI, Yenko, Z28, Shelby, COPO, or Judge anywhere in the name.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:41 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,750,870 times
I just think it's a bit frivolous to spend that kind of money on a replica which is what the "Superformance" GT40 and Daytona coupe are. Don't get me wrong, Superperformance builds a nice car, but they are a dime a dozen and you could find one for way less than the auction frenzy will create if you just look around.

And I don't think it's all that impressive that of the 12 "Shelby Cobras" listed, 6 are replicas, 3 are "continuation series" (new Shelby American replicas) with only 3 originals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive