Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 09:43 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
If you go to the auction or watch it on SpeedTV on Friday and Saturday prime time, you'll notice that 80% of the ones who are buying high-dollar cars are baby boomers. Maybe it's from living in Scottsdale for 7 years and being a Realtor but I generally find a good percentage of baby-boomers around Phoenix are fairly wealthy and have enough disposable income to live well in their glory years.
That's because most baby boomers owned a muscle car at one time or another because at the time they were new or fairly used and there was an over abundance of them plus they were cheap, then for one reason or another they had to sell their beloved car and now they want to recapture their youth before they get any older.

But I still don't know where you get the "disposable income" thing....as mentioned my ma and pa are both in their mid 50's and have worked hard their whole lives but have no "disposable income"...lol is that supposed to be some sort of government assistance for people born in the 50's?

Oh, and Steve O, not all 69 Camaros were slow, the ZL-1 69 Camaro is considered one of the fastest cars, in stock form they were clicking off 12's in the 1/4 on ****ty ass bias ply tires that can't hook for ****....but with some stickies hello 11's and maybe even 10's on a good day....IMO impressive for a big block 60's muscle car. But yeah I know what you mean about people paying thru the nose for nostalgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 11:13 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Oh, and Steve O, not all 69 Camaros were slow, the ZL-1 69 Camaro is considered one of the fastest cars
The problem is, those were pretty rare, and are probably fetching 6 figures too these days. This modern muscle car craze is out of control, fed by idiots willing to pony up too much dough.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:28 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times
If I tune in to Speed channel to peek at BJAA, I like to look for some of the 50s and 60s cars my dad used to own. When I was a kid in that era, he used to buy used Chrysler cars (or DeSoto which was a Chrysler re-badge with a different grill and fewer options), typically about 4 years old which at the time sold for about $500 cash. These were the really big cars of the time, big hemi V8 engines, massive chrome bumpers, big fins, push button automatic transmissions, a trunk almost big enough to carry a washing machine. Actually he did carry a washer in the trunk one time.

Couple of years ago a gold and black 61 Chrysler 300 sold at BJAA for something like $250K, the exact same model car my dad bought in the mid 60s for almost nothing. Everybody in the neighborhood made fun of that car, called it the Batmobile for it's bubble top roofline, big diagonal fins and diagonal oriented grill and headlights.

Anyone else ever noticed stuff like this from BJAA?

Old 01-19-2008, 08:54 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The problem is, those were pretty rare, and are probably fetching 6 figures too these days. This modern muscle car craze is out of control, fed by idiots willing to pony up too much dough.
Don't be surprised if it doesn't crash.

Remember the Muscle Car / Ferrari implosion that occurred in the early 90's after the price run up of the 80's?

Old 01-20-2008, 12:59 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Don't be surprised if it doesn't crash.

Remember the Muscle Car / Ferrari implosion that occurred in the early 90's after the price run up of the 80's?
My biggest dream is for that scene to crash.

If youre gonna resto an old Mustang, make it look like a dang Mustang, not some chrome and billeted out bond0-mobile!!! And enough with the bling-bling-yo wheels, looks tacky!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive