Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 08:24 PM

71 posts, read 104,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Are you single
Engaged actually. Not all of them are mine, larger family. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 08:30 PM

78,450 posts, read 60,652,129 times
4 to 5 cars depending if kiddo home from college (big family) and 2 garage spaces.

My sportscar stays in the garage, my people hauler sits outside.

I used to just have the 2 cars but got engaged, kids old enough to drive....you know the drill.

Once I empty nest I'll still have 3 cars and 2 slots unless I decide to make changes to the house or car situation.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:13 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,773,899 times
A 2 car attached garage. Two cars park inside it. Luckily, I have access to a storage space on the other side of my house where I can store mower in winter, blower in summer, bikes, skates, skis, gardening supplies, extra stuff from college, kayak, scooters, ice fishing sleds, etc. It's all used by someone in my household at some point throughout the year!

When everyone is home, the third car must stay parked in the driveway because it's a 2 car garage. Pretty much everyone in my neighborhood has 3-4 cars and a 2 car garage, so it's pretty common here.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:52 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,244,181 times

Did my wife put you up to posting this question?

My garage is full of crap. Sorry, Crap (with a capital C).

I traded off my pickup a few months ago for a small car. My wife said I'd have to clean out the garage to make room for the new car. I said I would, except now I don't have a pickup to haul the Crap out of it. Hopefully I'll find time to make room for at least the new car this spring after it warms up a bit.

Actually, I had gotten into wood working pretty heavily for awhile, so I have some fairly large tools -- table saw, planer, band saw, etc., etc., etc.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,747 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post

Did my wife put you up to posting this question?

... I said I would, except now I don't have a pickup to haul the Crap out of it. Hopefully I'll find time to make room for at least the new car this spring after it warms up a bit.

Actually, I had gotten into wood working pretty heavily for awhile, so I have some fairly large tools -- table saw, planer, band saw, etc., etc., etc.
Ha... you need a shop! I added a 'basement / woodshop' under my friend's house using my small crawler dozer. I now have a tracked Bobcat, so would be even ezr.

My spouse INSISTS that I build her a woodworking ONLY segregated shop, she likes to run the stationary tools and does not like 'dust' infiltrating the house and especially does not like dust getting on her 'woman's motorhome (wintering in the shop).

One can never have enough shops / garages. I avoid attached garages, as I cannot tolerate being inside a home with a car in the attached garage (or even a lawnmower / chainsaw). The invasive vapors of gas (ICK) engines drives me out.

Tough to sleep at night with the fire / explosion danger. (another benefit of a 'grease car'... no / little explosion potential!)

Old 02-17-2015, 11:18 PM

756 posts, read 834,766 times
Exclamation Because They Are Fat And Lazy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianf408 View Post
I really do not understand this phenomenon. I look up and down the streets of my neighborhood, or any suburban area for that matter, and I see this: cars parked in the driveways. Houses with 2 or 3 car garages, and the majority of cars are left out in the driveways.

We had some snow last night, I was out shoveling the driveway this morning and my neighbor was out there grumbling and cursing at how they had to clean the snow off of both of their cars. They have a 2 car garage, and their 2 cars get parked in the driveway. Same issue when there was a rash of break-ins a few years ago, they grumbled about their cars being broken into but they have a perfectly secure garage they could both get parked in.

Why would anyone leave both cars outside, especially with bad weather coming? I can't think of the last time one of my vehicles was left out for the night.
Because they are fat and lazy. If I had a high quality garage, I would keep vehicles in them. Too much weather and criminals to leave cars outside and completely helpless.

And I would just get a storage shed(s) if I needed storage space. HOAs? I will always be an a HOA-free place. Because I like to have sheds.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:58 PM

414 posts, read 400,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Because in Florida, a garage is practically useless if the car is being used every day.
Could you explain? Using my car daily does not keep me from garaging it. Keeps the car nicer and the insurance lower. Convenient bringing in the groceries as well.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:52 AM

170 posts, read 235,380 times
The HOA in so many suburban neighborhoods around here are ridiculous. You can't put in a storage unit in the backyard for storing things like lawn care equipment, bikes, garbage bins, holiday decorations, household tools and shop furniture. You can't leave things like bikes or garbage bins outside of the house. So into the garage it goes which in turn makes them fairly useless for daily vehicle storage.

One house I shared in Mass with several people, we had this huge garage that would actually fit all of our cars. However, we found it was much less work to park them a certain way in the driveway. We'd end up shoveling a really tiny area right near the road and then just dust off car and back out. Park in the garage and we'd have to remove ten times that much snow before work.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:16 AM

469 posts, read 913,849 times
My garage is also a shop, no room for the daily drivers. I take care of my vehicles and use a good quality, hand applied, paste wax to them once a quarter. I wipe bugs, tar and other debris off the paint when it happens.

If the garage is serving another purpose, I can understand but I see open garages filled with crap, boxes and other debris piled to the rafters. Cars outside are not taken care of and turn to junk in just a few years.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:33 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,099,661 times
Because if they are anything like my relatives their garage is full of crap that they have kept for years on end . I had a mother in law who bought off the hsn all the time and when she passed we ended up taking uhaul truck fulls , 4 to be exact to the goodwill .It was so much stuff the lady at the goodwill knew us on a first name basis I kid you not . I hope when I get to be that age I wont fill a garage with anything but my car . But most people I know have a garage but it is so full of junk they don't use it for anything but storage , which in my opinion is sad . use your garage for your car not a storage unit .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive