Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 06:32 AM

4,215 posts, read 3,764,709 times

Advertisements

Hmm..ive had a garage for about 10 years now and the only car parked in there hasn't moved in those 10 years. The rest of my garage has two ATV's, a snowmobile, a garden tractor, a generator, tools, etc.. My daily drivers have never seen the inside of a garage. Even if it was empty I wouldn't park my truck in the garage (my wife might though) because I just want to get in and go, I don't want to bother being careful to not get to close to this side or that side when pulling in and out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 06:33 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,773,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
One can never have enough shops / garages. I avoid attached garages, as I cannot tolerate being inside a home with a car in the attached garage (or even a lawnmower / chainsaw). The invasive vapors of gas (ICK) engines drives me out.

Tough to sleep at night with the fire / explosion danger. (another benefit of a 'grease car'... no / little explosion potential!)
So how many cars are you aware of that have exploded at night, while garaged?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my attached garage and would never live anywhere without one.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:43 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,299,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
So how many cars are you aware of that have exploded at night, while garaged?
Ford trucks with the faulty cruise control switch...

Old 02-18-2015, 06:51 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,500,218 times
We've always used the garage in our homes for cars. When we moved into the family house after her brother bought a new home I cleaned the garage out and hung all the necessary stuff and organized the heck out of it. Both cars fit with no problem and this was a smaller two car garage off a cape. The only issue was it did not have automatic door openers or direct house access so you had to go outside and unlock/open the door, pull the car out, then go close/lock it. It was a slightly tedious process and my wife at first did not see the point as her parents house always had the garage full of stuff and cars were parked outside.

She quickly changed her tune that first winter when she realized how nice it was to get into a car that was already just about warmed up and not covered in snow/ice. Fast forward to today where the home we bought has an oversized two car garage connected with house access. And oversized is fairly accurate because there is a space in the front that could possibly hold another small car and the ceiling is anywhere from 15-25' high. The picture below is when we were house hunting, it's one of the things I fell in love with.

Luckily we also have a large shed out back as well as a huge walkup attic and partially finished basement, so there is no shortage of places to put things. I'll always have my garage for the cars, it's how I grew up with my parents so I was used to it. I even had a car cover when I lived at home because I was OCD about my vehicles. But it is nice to be able to pull in and go right into your house.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:58 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,673,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
WHY ???

Most are idiots and don't have the common since to clean out their garages !!!

So you can honestly judge someone as an idiot because they need their garage for storage?

I could buy a storage building for my backyard to hold my tools (I fix my own vehicles), my yard equipment, etc.... but then my wife's car is still the only vehicle small enough to fit in the garage. In the winter my dogs stay in a kennel in the garage while we are at work and at night since it is climate controlled, so I really need that space anyhow.

I priced out building a larger detached garage, but it came in at $16k unfinished. To us right now, it doesn't make sense to spend $16k on a garage to house my vehicle that cost me less than $16k. I find it more cost effective for now to leave everything as-is, and keep my truck washed and waxed. No one is any wiser (not their business anyhow).

Old 02-18-2015, 07:02 AM

17,214 posts, read 15,428,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptynester1 View Post
Could you explain? Using my car daily does not keep me from garaging it. Keeps the car nicer and the insurance lower. Convenient bringing in the groceries as well.
Doesn't have an effect on my insurance.
Doesn't really keep my car nicer either, since my car is only parked at home at night and early in the morning.
It doesn't snow, here.
Groceries, I'll give you that, but even then, it's not that big of a hassle.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:06 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,024,007 times
Years ago I regularly garaged my daily driver in the winter. That car started to show bad rusting faster than any other car I owned. I am convinced garaging it contributed to it, since salt is more active at warmer temperatures, and the garage held enough warmth overnight to always melt the snow and ice off the car (keeping the salt moist and active on the body).

These days my daily sits outside... but my garage is already occupied by my sports car anyway (doesn't get driven in the winter) so I have no choice but to park the daily outside.

Besides, really, how hard is it to take 60 seconds to brush some snow off it, or scrape some ice off the windshield? For me, it is not really that burdensome at all.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:08 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,267,693 times
Because they have junk stored in the garage. Maybe their kids stuff who haven't moved away yet.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:30 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,836,624 times
I have a over-sized, attached two car garage and a detached two car garage on my property.

My 20ft long truck will just fit in the both garages, but I use it mostly for storing and working on our dirt bikes.

We live at 10,000ft in the rocky mountains and it gets COLD. But you have to dress for the cold, otherwise if you get stuck or break down in the wrong spot, you die (no cell reception).

Parking in the garage in the winter just means a lot of mud in the garage that I have to clean out.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:53 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,453,434 times
You also miss the fact a lot of folks have driveways that are not wide enough to put two cars next to each other. If I did manage to squeeze into my garage every day I have to back my wives car out to get to my car, then put her car back in driveway. Big Pain.

I also only have a one car driveway. So I leave my car in the street. When I moved to my house I had a classic Mercedes Convertible and it was out on the street, then I got a totally mint 5 series out on street and current I have a Caddie with around 8k miles out on the street.

Eventually I put my Mercedes in Garage and it was 100% completely submerged in Salt Water for several hours when Sandy hit. What a nightmare getting that thing dragged out of garage. It barely made it out two weeks later as steering and iginition lock were rusting up so getting it into neutral and streering was a bear and it took six guys to push. At least it did not set my house on fire like my Neighbors when Salt water hit his power seats.

My Insurance adjuster said it is completely stupid folks keep cars in attached garages. Insane. Lets take 4,000 pounds of metal, tons of electronics connected to a battery filled with 20 gallons of gas and park it inside of the house. A few houses near me that caught fire or got flooded with salt waters the ones with cars inside had huge huge damage.Sometimes you have main level master bedrooms on main floor. Add in all the chemicals you keep in garage and maybe some propane for the blow torch or extra gas. it is crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive