Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 10:40 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times

Advertisements

Many folks don't seem to understand the difference between being assertive and aggressive, and honestly, it is a blurry line. Being assertive is generally conceived of as a positive thing, while aggression is negative. When it comes to driving, if you had to think about it, what would you consider as assertive behavior (taking advantage of opportunities) versus aggressive (taking action at the expense of others)?

For example, in the situation of following a slower car, to be assertive, you'd pass when the 'safe' opportunity presents itself. To be aggressive, you might tailgate, or pass at the first opportunity.

For another example, at a four-way intersection where three cars are all approaching at once, an aggressive driver may roll through without stopping, assuming right of way, while an assertive driver will be the first to start moving forward if everyone seems to be waiting on someone else, while a passive driver may just sit and wait for the other two cars to clear the intersection entirely.

Where do you define the behaviors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 10:43 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Generally driver's ed teaches defensive driving as the best method, and not assertive.

That doesn't mean one cannot be decisive on the road, which is part of a definition of being assertive. However, overall, being assertive will likely lead to being agressive. It will almost certainly be viewed by others as aggressive at times.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:51 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
I'd say that to be defensive, you have to be assertive at times. I wouldn't couch assertive against defensive, as assertive is about taking advantage of opportunities, which can include being safer.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:57 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I'd say that to be defensive, you have to be assertive at times. I wouldn't couch assertive against defensive, as assertive is about taking advantage of opportunities, which can include being safer.
Maybe, but I do not think I would use the word assertive.

Being patient to pass when it is safe is not really assertive. It is defensive.

Nudging out at an intersection full of indecisive people is just an intersection full of people who don't remember the right of way rules. If they did, people would not all be waiting for someone to make the first move.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:11 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
Sometimes you have to be a little assertive and push your way in otherwise you will never reach your destination. But in general, defensive driving is the best method.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:31 AM

792 posts, read 2,872,635 times
I consider these aggressive because they either endanger or bully other drivers: Extreme tailgating. Flashing lights. Honking repeatedly. Intentionally boxing someone in. Brake checking. Weaving in and out of traffic. Zooming up behind someone at full speed and suddenly braking. Passing on the shoulder. Merging in front of someone so they are forced to slam on the brakes. Failing to yield in an intersection.

A step closer to civilization are things like zooming in front of other cars to merge at the last minute, or merging with just enough room, or rolling through a stop sign. That might be your assertive category.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:35 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Many folks don't seem to understand the difference between being assertive and aggressive, and honestly, it is a blurry line. Being assertive is generally conceived of as a positive thing, while aggression is negative. When it comes to driving, if you had to think about it, what would you consider as assertive behavior (taking advantage of opportunities) versus aggressive (taking action at the expense of others)?

For example, in the situation of following a slower car, to be assertive, you'd pass when the 'safe' opportunity presents itself. To be aggressive, you might tailgate, or pass at the first opportunity.

For another example, at a four-way intersection where three cars are all approaching at once, an aggressive driver may roll through without stopping, assuming right of way, while an assertive driver will be the first to start moving forward if everyone seems to be waiting on someone else, while a passive driver may just sit and wait for the other two cars to clear the intersection entirely.

Where do you define the behaviors?

I've never heard of assertive driving. I've heard of aggressive driving and defensive driving. In my opinion, anyone who says they drive with assertiveness is just putting a more positive spin on aggressive driving. Just my opinion. Such as the scenario where the faster car wants to pass the slower car in front. Often times, that slower car is going to the speed limit or maybe even five over, but the faster car behind him was going 10+ over and wants to pass so he can continue accelerating. I see this all time. In fact, every morning on my way to work, I'll be on the bypass (which has a speed limit of 65) and I'm going 10 over, and there are people passing me as if I wasn't even going half the speed limit. That's aggressive. Heck, even my driving would be considered aggressive because I am definitely speeding. But I don't see how they are being assertive verses aggressive. Yes, they are passing a slower vehicle, but they are driving at such a speed that one wrong move could spell the end.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:05 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
I'll take either over idiot drivers.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:22 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,479 times
Assertive to me would mean would mean a lack of undue hesitation. The best examples I can think of are merging onto a busy freeway or entering a busy traffic circle.

When entering a freeway, a timid driver will go slow and wait for traffic to clear or move to the other lane. An aggressive driver will barge in regardless of the traffic around him. An assertive driver will line up with an open space and match his speed with the cars around him.

When entering a busy traffic circle, a timid driver will wait until there are no more cars coming around before proceeding. An aggressive driver will barge in dangerously, but an assertive driver (and one familiar with how rotaries work) will watch the wheels and signals of the circulating cars and be ready to take the place of anyone who is exiting prior to his entrance.

Lack of due hesitation is not assertive, it's idiotic. When you see a guy about to run a red light, that's not the time to be assertive about the right-of-way.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:25 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I've never heard of assertive driving. I've heard of aggressive driving and defensive driving. In my opinion, anyone who says they drive with assertiveness is just putting a more positive spin on aggressive driving. Just my opinion. Such as the scenario where the faster car wants to pass the slower car in front. Often times, that slower car is going to the speed limit or maybe even five over, but the faster car behind him was going 10+ over and wants to pass so he can continue accelerating. I see this all time. In fact, every morning on my way to work, I'll be on the bypass (which has a speed limit of 65) and I'm going 10 over, and there are people passing me as if I wasn't even going half the speed limit. That's aggressive. Heck, even my driving would be considered aggressive because I am definitely speeding. But I don't see how they are being assertive verses aggressive. Yes, they are passing a slower vehicle, but they are driving at such a speed that one wrong move could spell the end.
You've never driven much in Maine, or anywhere else that has a lot of elderly drivers. Often times, the slower vehicles are going 15 to 20 under the speed limit here. If someone's going 35 or 40 in a 55, it's no skin off my teeth, but passing him or her is a far cry from aggressive. If they were going the speed limit, I would not have caught up to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive