Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2008, 08:59 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamucil View Post
no, they are far more in tune with the environment - that's a fact to anyone who knows anything about european society, I bet you're one of those americans who think america is the best country in the world and don't even own a passport.
Whether europeans care any more about the environment than Americans is debatable. They may say they do, but actions speak louder. And yes, i am an American that does not own a passport and I do believe that America is the greatest country in the world - I make no apologies for it either.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:24 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,292 times
SAVE the polar bears. HELL, they don't care what cars we drive! Save them from what? The earth is in a natural cycle of warming and feeezing just like it always does.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:32 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Europeans were also kind of forced into a certain lifestyle b/c of the teeny tiny countries/living arrangements they have in and their overall lack of natural resources. Not to mention room for landfills. You can't drive an SUV b/c it is not feasible on roads built 500 years ago. It gets me when they act all snooty and like they choose to live a certain way when mostly they have no choice.

And yes, I think America's the best country in the world, and yes, I do have a passport and have spend oodles of time in Europe and elsewhere.

I think we should always do what's best for the environment, not waste on the front end, recycle what we can...but the earth has always warmed and cooled...the biggest factor in global warming does happen to be the sun.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:59 AM

178 posts, read 361,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
Whether europeans care any more about the environment than Americans is debatable. They may say they do, but actions speak louder. And yes, i am an American that does not own a passport and I do believe that America is the greatest country in the world - I make no apologies for it either.
it's not debateable if you knew anything about european society. You're typical of most people in this country, thanks for proving my point.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Europeans were also kind of forced into a certain lifestyle b/c of the teeny tiny countries/living arrangements they have in and their overall lack of natural resources. Not to mention room for landfills. You can't drive an SUV b/c it is not feasible on roads built 500 years ago. It gets me when they act all snooty and like they choose to live a certain way when mostly they have no choice.

And yes, I think America's the best country in the world, and yes, I do have a passport and have spend oodles of time in Europe and elsewhere.

I think we should always do what's best for the environment, not waste on the front end, recycle what we can...but the earth has always warmed and cooled...the biggest factor in global warming does happen to be the sun.
yeah, they haven't made improvements to their roads in 500 years. your ignorance of europe is showing. The concrete used for the Autobahn is twice as thick as our hiway system , gently sloped to get rain off it which is then collected and used. Far more advanced and eco-friendly.

I don't believe you've spent "odles" of time in Europe, if you did you'd know something about the continent.

as per usual, 95% of the world is wrong and 5% of the world is right. We still want nothing to do with Kyoto. What's the fuel efficiency of a car in Japan? 45 mpg. China? 35 mpg. and here we sit with our SUV's and Hemi's.

The concrete used for the Autobahn is twice as thick as our hiway system , gently sloped to get rain off it which is then collected and used. Far more advanced and eco-friendly.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:15 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
And how much of the road system in Europe is made up of the Autobahn? And how does not limiting speed help with fuel efficiency? And what difference does the Autobahn make when you'll never be able to park a big car anywhere b/c of the rest of the street sizes?

Picking one road doesn't really prove your point. And don't tell me what I know or don't know.

Europeans have had to make do with what they have and have done so admirably, but don't try to make like they did this all on purpose.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:34 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,418,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamucil View Post
yeah, they haven't made improvements to their roads in 500 years. your ignorance of europe is showing. The concrete used for the Autobahn is twice as thick as our hiway system , gently sloped to get rain off it which is then collected and used. Far more advanced and eco-friendly.

I don't believe you've spent "odles" of time in Europe, if you did you'd know something about the continent.

as per usual, 95% of the world is wrong and 5% of the world is right. We still want nothing to do with Kyoto. What's the fuel efficiency of a car in Japan? 45 mpg. China? 35 mpg. and here we sit with our SUV's and Hemi's.

The concrete used for the Autobahn is twice as thick as our hiway system , gently sloped to get rain off it which is then collected and used. Far more advanced and eco-friendly.
looks to me like someone just did a little wiki search of the autobahn, and did not look at the way our roads are constructed. ALL roads within America have a swale to them (they are higher at the mid point, and slope to the sides. This is to promote water runoff, which keeps the water from ruining the road surface. The reason for the Autobahn being so thick is due to the amount of traffic that drive on it each year. A thin road tends to move with the earth easier and heavy traffic does nothing more than to push the materials into the earth, further degrading the driving surface No one ever said that the roads in Europe have not been repaved in 500 years. Due to where buildings are built for well over several century's, before cars, They do not have the width required to run large amounts of large cars. America being a relatively new country does not have this problem when you work west of our founding states (which have the same problem of narrower streets as Europe)

Old 11-29-2008, 11:39 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,718,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
looks to me like someone just did a little wiki search of the autobahn, and did not look at the way our roads are constructed. ALL roads within America have a swale to them (they are higher at the mid point, and slope to the sides. This is to promote water runoff, which keeps the water from ruining the road surface. The reason for the Autobahn being so thick is due to the amount of traffic that drive on it each year. A thin road tends to move with the earth easier and heavy traffic does nothing more than to push the materials into the earth, further degrading the driving surface No one ever said that the roads in Europe have not been repaved in 500 years. Due to where buildings are built for well over several century's, before cars, They do not have the width required to run large amounts of large cars. America being a relatively new country does not have this problem when you work west of our founding states (which have the same problem of narrower streets as Europe)
I guess he thought the Europeans were super advanced because they figured out that water and road surfaces are not a good combination.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
but we don't have a system to use the rainwater. and the reason the Autobahn is 2xs as thick is due to freezing, they can't have the concrete expand and have potholes in it, when you're driving200km/hr potholes aren't good. it has nothing to do with the amount of traffic on them.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:35 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Smart cars are no very good cars. The Honda Fit offers more for the same price. The only advantage of the smart is that you can park two per space.

Otherwise, they have lousy ride and handling, lousy performance, lousy safety, and poor gas mileage for their size. They are kind of cool looking for kids though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive