Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 08:02 AM

37 posts, read 49,345 times

Advertisements

wow...
Such a short tread so far and it already been mentioned more that once that apparently penis is a prerequisite for the car shopping at a dealer.
I had never realized that especially when my wife can negotiate better than me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 08:19 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
Sometime CarMax is good if one does not want to spend hours buying a car.

Going to a dealer and having someone try to show you what they think you want, then finally getting them to understand that you do not have a penis but do have a brain and want a certain car, going for test drive, then being turned over to the 'closer' who waste more time, and goes back to his imaginary manager and leaves you for 20 minutes, returning with chit chat saying the manager is reviewing the deal, etc. just wasting your time, then giving you a cost that you will not accept so it goes again and again in the negotiations.

Then you go to the financing guy, and they go over all the extras they want to push on you and again you waste time saying no, and no financing I will write a check, then they want to call the bank to see if a check is good and then finally you have the ability to say we are done, close the deal now or I walk...and have a good chance that you will not be walking.

LOVE not having to waste the time.

You know the price and can take it or leave it.

No high pressure anything.

BTW, I have walked out at all phases of the process when the time was not worth the games at dealers and they do call later and want you to come back, but my best answer is "I left your dealership and then bought an hour later at XX. Thanks for taking the time to show me the vehicles it helped a lot to make it go fast at dealer XX because I already knew what I wanted and just had to close a deal on the price."
I walk in knowing the car and price I want and then tell the finance guy I don't want any extras right up front and they don't waste their time on me.

I can literally walk in give a price and be out the door in an hour. Basically, you can create your own CarMax experience anywhere if you do your homework upfront and know what you want.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:24 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I am not sure, but we are getting our first CarMax dealer later in the year at a new large shopping plaza and the only one here within a 200 mile radius. I browsed their site and found their cars seem very overpriced. I am not sure if that is the final price, but if they expect to survive here, they better either haggle or come down on the prices, because people will not pay the prices here that they are charging in big cities.
Wanna bet? They know what they are doing. And do you honestly think that folks in Nashville or Knoxville won't drive to where you are if they see a significantly better deal?
It's no different than a higher end grocery store. Cheerios, Milk, and butter are all the same, but I don't notice Harris Teeter's, Fresh Markets, Ingles, etc, closing because Food Lion or Aldi is cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvs2393 View Post
wow...
Such a short tread so far and it already been mentioned more that once that apparently penis is a prerequisite for the car shopping at a dealer.
It is a common misconception and a crutch that people fall back on, if they don't get the deal that Uncle Chester or someone on an online forum told them they should be getting. Some of the best negotiators I have seen are women. I DO think that more men really enjoy the haggle, though.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:35 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Wanna bet? They know what they are doing. And do you honestly think that folks in Nashville or Knoxville won't drive to where you are if they see a significantly better deal?
It's no different than a higher end grocery store. Cheerios, Milk, and butter are all the same, but I don't notice Harris Teeter's, Fresh Markets, Ingles, etc, closing because Food Lion or Aldi is cheaper.

It is a common misconception and a crutch that people fall back on, if they don't get the deal that Uncle Chester or someone on an online forum told them they should be getting. Some of the best negotiators I have seen are women. I DO think that more men really enjoy the haggle, though.
I actually negotiate well on just about everything. I just quickly tire of the car buying game and don't feel like playing it anymore, and I don't pay over KBB on any vehicle, no matter where I buy it from. When I sell my ancient used cars on Craigslist, I don't negotiate. My price is my price, I accept cash only, and if they don't like it, there's the door. I was selling my ex-husband's Jeep on Craigslist a couple of years ago. The potential buyer offered us $400 less than what I listed it for; telling us it needed new tires immediately (which it did). But it was still a good price, so I didn't want to come down on it. My then husband told me to take the deal. I said no way; they would pay the price I was asking. The buyers ended up leaving and told me to call them if I changed my mind. My ex was hot. He said, "See what you did!? We lost a sale because you were stubborn!" I told him to cool his heels; they would come back and pay the full amount. Sure enough; they did. They called us the next day and bought the car with no further attempts at negotiation

Old 09-15-2015, 11:41 AM

12,391 posts, read 8,161,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I actually negotiate well on just about everything. I just quickly tire of the car buying game and don't feel like playing it anymore, and I don't pay over KBB on any vehicle, no matter where I buy it from. When I sell my ancient used cars on Craigslist, I don't negotiate. My price is my price, I accept cash only, and if they don't like it, there's the door. I was selling my ex-husband's Jeep on Craigslist a couple of years ago. The potential buyer offered us $400 less than what I listed it for; telling us it needed new tires immediately (which it did). But it was still a good price, so I didn't want to come down on it. My then husband told me to take the deal. I said no way; they would pay the price I was asking. The buyers ended up leaving and told me to call them if I changed my mind. My ex was hot. He said, "See what you did!? We lost a sale because you were stubborn!" I told him to cool his heels; they would come back and pay the full amount. Sure enough; they did. They called us the next day and bought the car with no further attempts at negotiation
And CarMax succeeds because everybody doesn't have the need to prove themselves an alpha at negotiating. They will gladly pay more to get rid of that stress event for them and go on with life. Other folks are likes to fight type and then go on to puff themselves up to others over how great a fighter they are.

Just as some sing about a partying and then someone else would put out a battle raps aimed at saying how much greater they are than another artist.

Last edited by Taiko; 09-15-2015 at 12:05 PM..

Old 09-15-2015, 12:05 PM

531 posts, read 1,146,754 times
Having only ever bought one vehicle from a dealer, I think I'd pay a little bit extra for Carmax just to avoid the BS.

Buying a new car from our local Nissan dealers is probably one of the worst experiences I've had to endure. I still got an okay deal, but it took way more effort than necessary.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:12 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,474,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
If all else were equal, then there would be little incentive (other than still working with non comission, no pressure sales people).

That said, the question at hand is "all else equal."

Carmax will lower their prices as vehicles rot on their lot. So if that car is $2000 more today and doesn't sell, in a couple weeks it won't be $2000 more. Although the prices are no haggle that day for the consumer, they are not set in stone either in comparison to the general marketplace.

Along this line of thought too, however, why would anyone buy from any dealer when the private party down the road is $2000 cheaper than the dealers?
I don't know. Carmax doesn't necessarily have to let their vehicles "rot" on the car lot. While a 4WD might rot on a car lot in Florida, Carmax will send that car up to another Carmax location where the vehicle and stand a better chance at getting sold. I would say that probably happens a lot more than Carmax lowing the price.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:41 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,035,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvs2393 View Post
wow...
There is a definite difference in the way the salesmen talk to female and male customers. Have you ever noticed that the salesman will address YOU on technical and financial things and your wife on the color of the car? Look for it next time. Amazing the difference in the treatment.

Even asking if a vehicle, with no paperwork on the window, was a 4 cylinder or 6 will get a change to , ok the car is fast, etc. with a female customer, but for a male customer they will go into great detail about the engine.

And yep, female customers can negotiate a deal, etc. it just takes a lot longer as first you have to go through the bs.

Loved Saturn dealers for the same reason as CarMax. Drove Saturn for years for that reason. The last car I bought was through Enterprise, got a Malibu 2012 for $4k lower than blue book. In and out in less than 15 minutes, and a few e-mails and one phone call. Set price, nice process. Before that was a Prius that I bought through the INTERNET pricing, then only had to deal with the 'no to all extras' bs, but it still took 2 hours at the dealer, and the car and price was already set when I walked in, and I had the check in hand to pay for it.

BTW, I have no problems negotiating, do it for work all the time, just do not like to waste the time when not being paid to do it

Old 09-15-2015, 02:33 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
And CarMax succeeds because everybody doesn't have the need to prove themselves an alpha at negotiating. They will gladly pay more to get rid of that stress event for them and go on with life. Other folks are likes to fight type and then go on to puff themselves up to others over how great a fighter they are.

Just as some sing about a partying and then someone else would put out a battle raps aimed at saying how much greater they are than another artist.
You're describing the motivation of people trying to save thousands of dollars (you must have some rich parents) as merely doing so because they're braggarts and jerks.....but not you....you're cool, you don't play that game.

Gotta thank you for that post, I love ironic humor even when it's not intentional.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:23 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,875,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I walk in knowing the car and price I want and then tell the finance guy I don't want any extras right up front and they don't waste their time on me.

I can literally walk in give a price and be out the door in an hour. Basically, you can create your own CarMax experience anywhere if you do your homework upfront and know what you want.
Agreed. I don't like haggling over a price so I do my research before I even contact the dealers and find the cars at the price I want to pay. The last 8 cars I've bought, there was no haggling involved. The prices were either the advertised prices or I was quoted a low price just to get me to drive to the dealer. Now did I get the BEST price possible, certainly not I bet. But I was satisfied that I bought all of these cars at a good price. The new ones were about 10% under MSRP and the used ones were under what comparable cars were selling for. Maybe I can just spot and grab the bargain used cars right before they are auctioned off or something. Shopping around before going to the dealer is a great way to get a deal without haggling at a dealership.

95 Villager - $22K MSRP, paid $18,770 new
01 Yukon XL SLT certified - 36K miles/3 yrs old - $46K MSRP, paid $23,000
06 Pontiac Vibe certified, 7K miles/18 mo old - $21K MSRP, paid $13,900
07 EB Explorer certified, 20K miles/1 yr old - $34K MSRP, paid $17,900
10 Vibe GT, 36K miles, 2 yr old, - $23K MSRP, paid $12,400 (totaled 2-1/2 yr later for $12,870)
13 Equinox LTZ - $33K MSRP, paid $30K new
14 Rogue SV - $25,500 MSRP, paid $23K new
03 Vibe GT - used $2,900 - great car for the price

The finance guys have on occasion been a bit of a pain, but for the last several vehicles I've just taken a letter from my credit union and told them no, I won't be buying anything else, and they have been kind of smooth. Except for the guy that took vacation the next week and didn't process the paperwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive