Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 08:02 AM

734 posts, read 842,452 times

Advertisements

Okay, they have a no-haggle policy but their "no haggle" prices are significantly higher than most dealers' listed prices (which can often be negotiated down). Can someone explain why anyone would buy a car there if the prices are so high? To be fair, maybe it's just the vehicles I'm looking at. Is the CarMax price the out-the-door price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 08:08 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,002,224 times
I think the only advantage to the buyer is the no haggle and no pressure sales experience.

Thats not much of an advantage for some people, but for those individuals who hate, fear, or loathe the process at the normal dealers and are apt to be fleeced anyway, then they may feel paying a little more for an "easy" transaction is worth it.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:16 AM

734 posts, read 842,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I think the only advantage to the buyer is the no haggle and no pressure sales experience.

Thats not much of an advantage for some people, but for those individuals who hate, fear, or loathe the process at the normal dealers and are apt to be fleeced anyway, then they may feel paying a little more for an "easy" transaction is worth it.
But still...If a vehicle is already listed 2,000 LESS than CarMax at the local Ford dealer and you're willing to pay the asking price, what is the incentive to buy at CarMax?

Old 09-14-2015, 08:41 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,048,144 times
Default Easy way out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post

+1
The process is easy for those who don't see the sport in negotiating a deal.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:51 AM

70 posts, read 124,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
+1
The process is easy for those who don't see the sport in negotiating a deal.
But again, why would one just not go to any used car dealer and pay sticker price (without negotiating) which is usually still 1-2k less then CarMax?

Old 09-14-2015, 08:53 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,700 times
Top 403 Complaints and Reviews about Carmax Seemed like a good idea but the execution sucks.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:57 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,002,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
But still...If a vehicle is already listed 2,000 LESS than CarMax at the local Ford dealer and you're willing to pay the asking price, what is the incentive to buy at CarMax?
If all else were equal, then there would be little incentive (other than still working with non comission, no pressure sales people).

That said, the question at hand is "all else equal."

Carmax will lower their prices as vehicles rot on their lot. So if that car is $2000 more today and doesn't sell, in a couple weeks it won't be $2000 more. Although the prices are no haggle that day for the consumer, they are not set in stone either in comparison to the general marketplace.

Along this line of thought too, however, why would anyone buy from any dealer when the private party down the road is $2000 cheaper than the dealers?

Old 09-14-2015, 09:10 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,932,465 times
I bought from Carmax years ago, when they first opened a branch nearby. I think this was around 2006 or so. Then, the prices actually were competitive and I was unloading a vehicle that had weird electrical issues (I'd be driving down a highway and interior lights would start flashing, locks locking and unlocking---people thought it was haunted, lol).

They offered to do 2 separate transactions: selling my used car and then buying a new one. I liked that.

They were making their money on financing. Talk about stong-arming, I felt like I could only buy the car if I used their financing which was horrible.

I ended up buying the car (it was a great price), used their financing and then came back with a check from credit union that same day. Back then, it was all about the price.

Incidentally, they may advertise no haggling, but there was definitely bait-and-switch games going on.

I'd never do it again, especially now as their prices are ridiculous.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:14 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,686 times
Carsense (same concept as CarMax) was the best buying experience I ever had. Prices were less than dealers, they gave me more for my trade, they gave be a better interest rate and the entire process took maybe an hour and a half if that. The salesman don't work on commission so there isn't any pressure or competition. For me it doesn't get any better than that.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:26 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,914,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
Okay, they have a no-haggle policy but their "no haggle" prices are significantly higher than most dealers' listed prices (which can often be negotiated down). Can someone explain why anyone would buy a car there if the prices are so high? To be fair, maybe it's just the vehicles I'm looking at. Is the CarMax price the out-the-door price?
1. Volume and variety of selection - There are thousands of vehicles available to choose from that Carmax can ship between stores (granted, at transportation fee at the expense of the customer over 100 miles).

2. As people have mentioned, some people like the no-haggle concept, even if they are paying more for a vehicle

3. Extended Warranty - whether it's a Civic or Range Rover, Carmax will offer extended warranties on any vehicle it sells

4. Fairly reliable products - I have driven 5 vehicles purchased from Carmax since I was 16. No major issues with any one of them.

All that said, it is a more expensive experience compared to going to a dealership and looking at their used lot inventory. The prices you see online on Carmax are set in stone; conversely, those you see on Cars.com usually have a fair amount of wiggle room (i.e. I bought a used 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited that was listed online at 30k, ended up getting it for 27k after negotiating at the dealer.)

There are pros and cons to each option for sure. I am by no means suggesting one is superior to the other. It depends on how confident you are in your negotiating abilities, how confident you are that a non-Carmax dealership isn't selling you a used lemon, and how long you're willing to wait for a specific used car to enter your specific geographic market. I have purchased vehciles from both Carmax and regular dealers alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive