Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 05:33 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,740,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
Okay, they have a no-haggle policy but their "no haggle" prices are significantly higher than most dealers' listed prices (which can often be negotiated down). Can someone explain why anyone would buy a car there if the prices are so high? To be fair, maybe it's just the vehicles I'm looking at. Is the CarMax price the out-the-door price?
You get access to their national inventory and can have a vehicle from another location drop shipped for a reasonable fee. However, if you find a cheaper car somewhere else locally go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 05:48 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,001,815 times
I was a auto dealer for 18 years, there is no reason to buy from Carmax except to prove insanity.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:02 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,259,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I don't have a penis. I don't find sport in negotiating a car.
Opposite of the wife.
I find 'em and determine what the price ought to be.
I give her the info and that's it. Dealer's getting double teamed.
There have been several times that sales guy and the sales manager got it at the same time.

She even chewed on the owner of the dealership once... and this was no small dealership.
Owner picked the wrong time to be on the premises. I had walked out the door.
When I got home the owner called me. We had a deal.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 527 times
Default Over pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
I have bought 3 vehicles in the last 3 years from Carmax and will not go anywhere else when I buy another one.. The prices were not much different than anywhere else in our area.. And the "not being held captive" part of buying a car at a dealer was great.. It was the most enjoyable car buying experience I have EVER had....

I also liked the part where I got Gap insurance and a warranty with the car whereas at dealers I either couldn't get 1 or the other or both....

I also was able to buy 2 vehicles that do not normally show up on dealer lots and if they do I have to drive all over to find them....

And taking it in for the warranty work is hassle free and even comes with a rental car should they have to keep it more than 1 day...

There is NO ADVANTAGE to Carmax. They are way over priced. The real price is what a private party will sell a car for. If you buy privately you will save 2-3 thousand dollars on the same car.

When you price the car at Carmax look at the Kelly Blue book for Private party. It will be thousands cheaper. Now you bought that car from Carmax. If you wanted to sell that car after the return policy expires back to Carmax they will offer you about $3000 less than what you paid, try trading it into a dealer same thing. If you you went and sold it privately loose minmum $1500. Why would anyone buy a car from this place to loose thousands f dollars as soon as you leave the lot?

Old 07-21-2019, 04:13 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,141,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albok View Post
There is NO ADVANTAGE to Carmax. They are way over priced. The real price is what a private party will sell a car for. If you buy privately you will save 2-3 thousand dollars on the same car.

When you price the car at Carmax look at the Kelly Blue book for Private party. It will be thousands cheaper. Now you bought that car from Carmax. If you wanted to sell that car after the return policy expires back to Carmax they will offer you about $3000 less than what you paid, try trading it into a dealer same thing. If you you went and sold it privately loose minmum $1500. Why would anyone buy a car from this place to loose thousands f dollars as soon as you leave the lot?
Um, yeah that happens at any dealer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive