Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:55 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,765,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
I hate this too. I like to be able to dial the exact station, regardless of how good the signal is. One advantage of an aftermarket stereo or the radios with a tuner knob.
I don't know of a radio that has only a seek function. They should all have tune functions as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 09:01 AM

496 posts, read 553,240 times
That's awful! Doesn't Hyundai have a 5-year general warranty and a 10-year power train warranty? Or does the warranty manage to exclude minor items like transmission gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesota nice View Post
I am still reeling from the ghastly experience with my ornery 2010 Hyundai Azera which is partially a car, and partially a carriage without the horse since I have lost reverse gear in it. It will cost over $4000 to replace the transmission

Old 10-05-2015, 09:20 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
The biggest issue I have with new vehicles is the ever-growing price. $40,000 is quickly becoming your average cost of SUVs, and $30-$35k for mid-size vehicles with options. And $50k+ for new full size trucks is ridiculous.

I am a gadget, techie guy, so I love most of the new tech in vehicles, but I do feel like it drives the prices up quite a bit. I'm wondering how much of that tech will be scaled back in coming years and how much of that is here to stay?

Old 10-05-2015, 09:23 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Paper-thin bodywork you can dent with you hand

Derth of warning stickers/messages, over the top nanny crap

Vehicles are almost all the same, often riding on the same platforms with different sheet metal; most cars drive the same

Too much plastic

Overpriced, overdependent on computers for necessary functions that don't need computers (and therefore more vulnerable to computer related problems). Also too many superfluous gadgets that inflate prices and distract from driving.

Very few quirky niche/performance vehicles... the kind of cars enthusiasts love. Everything is vanilla-flavored, neutered, designed with the world's stupidest driver in mind and is aiming for the broadest market appeal possible.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:43 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
-Price, as most people dont make as much as they used to 10 yrs ago and these cars now cost $10K more

-Horrible rear visibility on most cars

-Car becoming harder and harder to work on by yourself. Example. Chevy Cruze requires you to remove an engine mount just to change the serpentine belt.

-Quality seems to be going down on these cars as there seems to be way more recalls and TSB's now than in the past, which should be expected when too many computers are being used.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:32 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesota nice View Post
I am still reeling from the ghastly experience with my ornery 2010 Hyundai Azera which is partially a car, and partially a carriage without the horse since I have lost reverse gear in it. It will cost over $4000 to replace the transmission and at this point, the car isn't even worth that if I were to include the suspension maintenance needed. I find myself regretting it's existence EVERY SINGLE DAY.

However, I am trying to see the little sunshine I have in my life and look towards buying a new car.

However, test driving many new cars, I find I hate...
1). The lack of visibility with the pillars or beltline...(I'd like to actually see the corners of the car)
2). The annoying head rests...(Ugh!)
3). Light and loose steering...
4). Weird transmission shifting...
5). No real bumpers anymore! (like you can't sit on the front bumper without sliding off)

For the record, I've been looking at Toyotas, Hondas, Mazdas and Subarus sedans. I miss the steering feel of my SAAB (even though it was unreliable too), the comfort of my old Infiniti, the visibility of the Jeep...

What are things you hate about new cars? (If any...)

The lack of visibility with the pillars or beltline has to do with engineering improved side impact safety as well as roof collapse protection. When older vehicles flip onto the roof, those thin pillars that improve visibility collapse crushing the people inside.
Agree with the annoying head rest. They're designed like that to help protect against whiplash but some go too far. Feels like my head is being forced down. A headrest should include a manual angle adjustment. Not everyone's head is made the same and not everyone has the same posture. Someone with poor posture or a flat back head needs the steeply angled headrest while those with a more rounded head and good posture needs a flatter angle headrest.
The light and loose steering has to do with fuel economy as many brands move to an electric motor power steering instead of the perfected hydraulic power steering that takes power from the engine.
The weird transmission shifting is a symptom of having either too many gears (like the 9 with Chrysler/Dodge) or CVT. Some brands have virtually perfected the CVT while others are still trying.

What I don't like is the integration of the stereo to the vehicle's control systems as well as the touch screen. Give me buttons and knobs that I can feel without looking.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:43 AM

144 posts, read 43,894 times
1.They are plastic
2. Can't work on them yourself
3. Too many made overseas
4. Too many gadgets
5. Not enough room
6. Cost way more than they are worth
7. Lose value as soon a you drive off the lot
8. Too many electrical problems
9. Too many recalls
10. Did I say they cost too much? haha

Old 10-05-2015, 12:12 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,736,582 times
I'm pretty sure there are other cars out there but our 2014 Forester has very large windows with great visibility. I kid with my wife that it's too much visibility. I get the sense people are staring at me while I'm driving even with tinted windows.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:57 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,687 times
So many great responses on this thread, sounds like I agree with most all of you.

I'd rather have the technology of the past, perfected, than some of this gadgetry today. I do place a high value on how a car looks and I dislike the plastic, boring, low-nosed, round-reared shapes of almost all of today's cars. That said, the performance difference between today's cars and the cars of 20 years ago is just astounding. The main positive thing I can say about CAFE standards is that perhaps it compelled automakers to make better engines. That they can achieve so much power these days and keep good emissions really impresses me as compared to the huge displacements and puny outputs of the early days of fuel emission regulation.

One of my dislikes is CVT transmissions. My wife's car has a blissfully simple dash configuration for a 2011 car, but it did get saddled with a CVT. I'd compare flooring a CVT to stepping on a half-inflated water balloon ... it just sorta squishes away from you and doesn't "pop" the way you expect it to. Weird analogy I know but that's what it feels like to me...you miss that torque-y "lurch" when flooring a standard transmission.

The comment earlier about bumpers was spot-on...scuff a bumper today and it's a whole new bumper (or bumper cover, if you will) and a half-thousand dollars out of pocket. Seems like a waste.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:59 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Paper-thin bodywork you can dent with you hand

Derth of warning stickers/messages, over the top nanny crap

Vehicles are almost all the same, often riding on the same platforms with different sheet metal; most cars drive the same

Too much plastic

Overpriced, overdependent on computers for necessary functions that don't need computers (and therefore more vulnerable to computer related problems). Also too many superfluous gadgets that inflate prices and distract from driving.

Very few quirky niche/performance vehicles... the kind of cars enthusiasts love. Everything is vanilla-flavored, neutered, designed with the world's stupidest driver in mind and is aiming for the broadest market appeal possible.
I think you misunderstand those things that made cars quirky/fun for you. Those weren't intentional features, they were defects in planning and engineering that you overcame by intense concentration or huge amounts of practice on your part. The auto makers have learned to make cars that actually operate properly, removing the need for you to be an expert driver to not die on a curvy part of the road.

And you can thank the federal government's CAFE standards for the paper thin metal and lightweight plastic interiors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive