Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 02:20 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

Some US car seats are just way too wide these days. It feels like driving on a sofa and have poor lumbar support. I don't mind comfort but it can't be too comfortable, it needs to be supportive when you drive long distances and not fall asleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 02:33 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
I hate that every new car looks exactly like every other new car, regardless of the brand. You could pull the badges off of a Toyota and stick them on a Chevy and no one would know the difference.

I grew up when we eagerly awaited every new model year and we could identify every car on the road because the styling was so distinctive. Now, I can't tell one from the other and they all are bland.

Don

Old 10-06-2015, 02:35 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I hate that every new car looks exactly like every other new car, regardless of the brand. You could pull the badges off of a Toyota and stick them on a Chevy and no one would know the difference.

I grew up when we eagerly awaited every new model year and we could identify every car on the road because the styling was so distinctive. Now, I can't tell one from the other and they all are bland.

Don
As state before, this is mainly due to new fuel efficiency rules. Manufacturers have to squeeze out every ounce of gas mileage they can get. Which is why you don't see too many V8 or V6 options on mainstream vehicles. Also explains limits on angles and curvature of body lines.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:22 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesota nice View Post
I am still reeling from the ghastly experience with my ornery 2010 Hyundai Azera which is partially a car, and partially a carriage without the horse since I have lost reverse gear in it. It will cost over $4000 to replace the transmission and at this point, the car isn't even worth that if I were to include the suspension maintenance needed. I find myself regretting it's existence EVERY SINGLE DAY.

However, I am trying to see the little sunshine I have in my life and look towards buying a new car.

However, test driving many new cars, I find I hate...
1). The lack of visibility with the pillars or beltline...(I'd like to actually see the corners of the car)
2). The annoying head rests...(Ugh!)
3). Light and loose steering...
4). Weird transmission shifting...
5). No real bumpers anymore! (like you can't sit on the front bumper without sliding off)

For the record, I've been looking at Toyotas, Hondas, Mazdas and Subarus sedans. I miss the steering feel of my SAAB (even though it was unreliable too), the comfort of my old Infiniti, the visibility of the Jeep...

What are things you hate about new cars? (If any...)

Light and loose steering? You never drive a car from the early 70's I take it? I had a 71 Olds Cutless and you could steer that thing with one finger.

I do prefer an older classic car. In fact I would love a car from the 1930's till early 1970's.

Funny you talk about bumpers. In the mid to late 70's they took these cool looking cars and put on these gigantic rubber covered bumpers. It turns out that you can take a 1979 MGB and take off the bumpers and it looks a lot like a 1960's era MGB. You can take the bumpers off of a late 70's era VW Beetle and the entire look of the car becomes cool again. Then again you can take the bumpers off of a 2000 era Chevy Astro Van, lower the van with an air ride suspension, drop some 20's under the wheel wells, shave off the door handles and all the other trim, get rid of the roof rack, shoot the body with a dozen coats of your favorite shade, recover the interior, and you will have one cool ride.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:08 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Do all of you people sit around on a front porch and glare at anyone under 25 and complain about their hair and clothes and talk about how back when you were their age you had to walk 20 miles to school barefoot in the snow uphill both ways?
I'm in my late 20s...

Old 10-06-2015, 04:21 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Would be easier to make a list of things I do like:

Heated mirrors
Heated seats
Suspension work- on some
Projector headlights
Aluminum chassis
Led lighting
Turbos
Better awd systems on some
Power windows
Power locks
Cell.phone jacjs, and media drive ports
Folding mirrors
That might be about it.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:28 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
I have a 2014 Durango Citadel and honestly can't think of anything in it I hate. I bought it because of all the cool stuff in it. The lady on the navigation system annoys me.....but so has every voice on a gps. I fight with them all. Oh I wish I could dim the navigation system at night. It's really bright and a bit distracting, but I don't hate it. It is useful and something I wanted in a new vehicle. What's not to love? I mean come on....even the black leather seats are air conditioned! Didn't even know that feature existed before I got my Durango.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:01 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,205 times
Lack of visibility. Lack of color choices (interior and exterior). No front bench seats. No convertibles that will seat 5. Cost way too much. Touch screen controls and too many buttons.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:41 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Cars that turn the engine off when I'm stopped, and restart when I go. UTTERLY UNACCEPTABLE. Any car that does this is OFF MY LIST for purchase.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:46 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Computers.

Can't fix a darn thing on them because of it without major $$$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive