Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 06:49 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,140,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I appreciate art for the sake of art. However, in such cases, you are not paying for reliable transportation.. you're paying for art because of the emotional response. Very few people are in that kind of position and many people end up getting gulled by a good-looking car that doesn't meet their needs.

Consumer Reports Best Buy -- Above Average reliability for about a decade:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 07:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I'm always interested at how many people will let appearance override any other factor when paying a 5-figure or 6-figure price for a car. I understand that it has to meet a certain minimum standard in order to be marketable, because no one wants a car that makes passersby spontaneously gag, but people just get too wound up in it. You can't have sex with your car (I repeat, no you can't), it can't respond back to your flattery, and probably no one is going to be impressed after you take the dealer tags off, either. And for that matter, you can't see it when you're driving - you know, when you're actually using it as intended.

Think that a car is beautiful to look at, you'll get more enjoyment out of buying a scale model and keeping it on your desk. Then you won't have to put up with expensive mechanics, back pain, and insane insurance bills because you wanted a car with "passion" even though it is completely impractical. No?

Ok well keep telling yourself that. So you think that if someone driving a Ferrari Enzo is not gonna be noticed because they took off the dealer paper plates? It's a F E R R A R I E N Z O. You're right you won't be having sex with the car. You'll be too busy fighting off the blank thrown at you along with a fair share of thongs and what the hell let's throw in a few grannie panties. Don't fool yourself there will be plenty of people who will gawk and be impressed.
And if you can afford a six figure car, expensive mechanics and high insurance is affordable to you. There are people out there that simply have the money and income thst a six figure car is normal. It would be like you buying a car for $2000 but you make 120,000

Old 10-06-2015, 07:26 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times
Ah, people who do not understand or appreciate fine art. I weep for you, poor ignorant souls. You will never know...

Old 10-06-2015, 07:36 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
It has been basically proven looks matter, even the most mundane cars have money invested in them for looks.

Are there people who truly do not care about looks? Sure, but they are a very small minority compared to those who do take looks into consideration.

The entire "the better the look, the more unreliable and poor function it is" is pure BS, same BS logic people apply to people that are in great shape or with muscles "look at how strong he is, he must be an idiot".

While looks are subjective, generally speaking, many (not all) of the best looking cars are also the most reliable. Reliability rating for many (not all) cheapo, point A to B cars are consistently rated on the low side.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:49 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,394,271 times
I'm about function over form. Simple and boxy is fine by me. Lots of utility. As long as the car is attractive ENOUGH, I don't really care. I don't want something hideous like an Aztek, but I don't need a beauty queen either.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:41 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,161,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It has been basically proven looks matter, even the most mundane cars have money invested in them for looks.

Are there people who truly do not care about looks? Sure, but they are a very small minority compared to those who do take looks into consideration.

The entire "the better the look, the more unreliable and poor function it is" is pure BS, same BS logic people apply to people that are in great shape or with muscles "look at how strong he is, he must be an idiot".

While looks are subjective, generally speaking, many (not all) of the best looking cars are also the most reliable. Reliability rating for many (not all) cheapo, point A to B cars are consistently rated on the low side.
OK, first impressions matter, and in that sense looks have to matter at least to make the connection. The issue I have is the hugely widespread tendency to judge cars solely on their looks, either positively or negatively. It's buying a product based on its packaging.. the packaging is not the product. But studies show that 50% of people do exactly that, and make their decisions based on the packaging.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:52 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
The face of the car is important. Even those who want function over beauty have an unconscious reaction to the face of the car. For myself and my wife, the most important part is the driver's seat. My wife is 4'10" so finding a car that fits her frame is difficult. She's loved the look of some cars right up until she sat in the driver's seat. My height is more average but how I feel in the seat and reaching for controls is important. Once I've found my driver's seat matches, then it comes down to exterior appearance, interior appearance, ride, and fuel economy.

Now if money was no object, exterior appearance would attract me to the car but if I don't feel comfortable in the driver's seat reaching for controls then I won't buy. Sure it's a thing of beauty and can race through the streets like a formula 1 car, but if I don't feel comfortable in the driver's seat then I'm not buying.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:58 PM

161 posts, read 273,938 times
If you live and drive in a crowded urban area and park on the street, a beautiful car will not be beautiful for very long. A plain car with its share of dings and dents turns out to be practical and worry free.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:13 AM

3,503 posts, read 2,666,638 times
Firstly people buy cars in the price range for their needs. Most buy in the entry level $30K and are drawn to looks, performance, function, economy. In that range many cars look and even perform somewhat alike and many will by a brand. The $60K to $80K buyer is for looks, performance, handling and brand. At above $100K it's looks, brand and performance. What may look good to me, could be ugly in someone else eyes.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:28 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,763,837 times
Looks are extremely important to me, I wouldn't even contemplate buying a car that is not visually appealing. Although what I like others may not. They need certain characteristics for me to be interested because if not I will get bored and want to get rid of it a few months later. I enjoy driving and as a kid I enjoyed cars but 99% of the cars rolling off the lines these days are ugly to me and I have lost my flare for the auto industry. Its not fun anymore. Its harder and harder to find a new car that really catches my eye ( they are out there but above my price range). I always see these cars that get great reviews...that's great but look at it...no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive