Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 12:59 PM

1,166 posts, read 877,345 times

Advertisements

I work as an auto mechanic and I can’t even begin to describe the cheapness of some customers and even some so called “mechanics”.

I have no problem with price shopping and trying to save whenever possible, but I’m of the philosophy that if you can’t afford to fix it right the first time, either wait until you’ve got the money or don’t even bother. Half assed fixes are just that, and they cheapen the auto repair industry by making people think every problem can be fixed cheaply and quickly, without even bothering to do a proper diagnosis.

And more often than not, being cheap in the short term ends up costing you more time and money in the long run, people can’t seem to understand that though.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 01:06 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,948,107 times
A lot of people will pay a little extra for a reputable shop they trust. I go for the cheapest I can trust. I don't even know the price until they tell me whats wrong anyways.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:40 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,342,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
And more often than not, being cheap in the short term ends up costing you more time and money in the long run, people can’t seem to understand that though.
"Tripping over dollars, to pick up pennies"

Old 06-25-2019, 03:58 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
I agree with the stupidly cheap approach.........so cheap that the fix is shoddy, dumb!!!!!!!!

But on the flip-side, some people have gotten burnt by gougers, upsellers and plain ripoff-artists........so they are kinda paranoid.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:19 PM

1,166 posts, read 877,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
"Tripping over dollars, to pick up pennies"
I'd say that somewhere in the middle is your best bet.

Often the cheapest AND the most expensive are both bad choices.

But so many people want things done "right" but want it fixed for a "hack" price. You cannot have both people, and shame on those who try and cater to those seeking such services.

I'm not out to price gouge people, but automotive work is no different than any other professional field, the tools, knowledge and supplies to fix cars properly aren't free, nor should we be giving our time away for next to nothing, or not doing a proper job.

The worst IMO are the people that want the quick, easy, 5 minute fix. They don't want you to look at their vehicle, or they don't want to give you the time needed to diagnose and fix the problem properly, just tell me what part to buy or what fix it "in a bottle" stuff can I get to take care of it.

Like if someone comes to you with a power steering pump that's whining and on its way out and they ask "Can't you just put some Lucas in it and it'll fix it?" NO, you can put some Lucas in it if you want, you want me to work on it, I'm going to fix it properly by replacing the power steering pump. No cob job fixes for me.

Or if someone wanted me to do a timing belt on their vehicle, but didn't want the water pump replaced along with it, I'd just turn that job down. The cheapskate who'll decline replacing the water pump is the same cheapskate who'll come crying when his water pump craps out 30k after the timing belt replacement. NOPE, don't need that kinda BS. I'll wait for someone who wants the job done RIGHT.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:41 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,724,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
...but I’m of the philosophy that if you can’t afford to fix it right the first time, either wait until you’ve got the money or don’t even bother. ...
I'd have to disagree. In some situations, the vehicle itself is cheap, and the only objective is to keep it limping along. For example, suppose that worn brake-pads are ignored, to the point where the friction-material has been completely abraded away, and there's metal-on-metal contact. Should the rotor get replaced, or just the pad? It depends. On a $500 car that's going to get junked anyway, it makes no sense to replace the rotor. Even if the pad touching the now-damaged rotor surface has to get renewed every 10,000 miles, well, just keep replacing that one pad. There are four to pack, and generally they're symmetric.

In other words, there are times when shoddy workmanship is the optimal middle-ground, between ignoring the problem entirely, and according it due-diligence for a comprehensive solution.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:49 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,143,235 times
With people paying avg of $30K for a car, which is $500-600 a month and $30-50k for SUV's with is $6-800 a month in payments, I dont think they have extra $$$ needed for proper repair. Ive been guilty of putting $90 tires on my car vs the $200 OEM, but I know what im getting myself into and dont expect them to last over 45K miles.

I did radiator stop leak in 2000 on a Taurus and ended up wit blown headgasket, even after the radiator was replaced, so if I cant fix a problem myself properly, il suck it up ad pay the dealer. I would say many people arent comfortable with the $100-150hr labor rates to work on a car now compare to the $50-80hr of the past or what private mechanics charge, but fail to realize how everything has gone electronic now, so repairs will be more.

Sometimes, the job isnt done right by the dealer either with techs being rushed, or they are so busy trying to upsell you other services, they something accidentally cause a new problem from all the fiddling around.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:49 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Mechanics need to apply common sense.

We had a really old Lincoln Towne Car (my daughters). She hit something and punched a small hole in the oil pan. Mechanic 1. "Remove and replace the oil pan. You have to pull the engine part way out to do so. It will cost about $3400 if I do not find anything else that has to be fixed.

Mechanic 2. We can sand it a bit and put JB weld on the hole. that should last longer than the car will. We will do that for $50.

The car was worth about $1800.

Mechanic 2 is now our mechanic.

BTW, the JB weld held fine for over two years and was still holding when the car went to car heaven for other reasons.

Later we had a cracked intake manifold. Dealer wanted several thousand. mechanic 2 said if we would pay 4200 for his time to go get one at pick your parts he could do the whole thing for about $450. No warranty but he said he would not charge us for labor to replace it if it failed. It was fine. That car was worth maybe $3000

There have been a number of other examples. Usually Mechanic 2 gives us two or more options. the 'right" way to fix a car for more than the car is worth, and a practical option that will also fix the car but might not last forever.

Mechanic 2 is still our mechanic. Mechanic 2 was the wiser of the two. We have paid him about $40,000 over twelve years for work on our cars. We only give him the work that I cannot do or do not want to do (especially when it is cold outside). It is still a lot of work. We have seven drivers. Everyone usually has a car. I have two (one is just for fun), we also often have a spare. Some of our kids are older and have new or newer cars (plus they live far away) so we give him less business now, but we still are a preferred customer. As I get older, I am less and less able to wiggle under cars in the gravel to work on them. In the old days he said he was gong to give us a reserved space in his parking lot since we nearly always had a car there.

Too many Mechanics do not know how to think or apply common sense. they only know take it out and replace it with a new one. Who cares? it is not their money. I will always pay more for a thinker over a parts changer.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:58 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
Jimmy

You sound like the person that won every battle they were in, but still do not understand why they lost the war.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:08 PM

45,429 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Jimmy

You sound like the person that won every battle they were in, but still do not understand why they lost the war.
This isn't Jimmy's first rodeo on this subject:

Cheaping Out On Maintainance?

People Who Complain A Vehicle Is "Nickel And Diming Them To Death"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive