Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 07:42 PM

1,166 posts, read 879,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Jimmy

You sound like the person that won every battle they were in, but still do not understand why they lost the war.
I have no idea what you're getting at here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 12:39 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,076,962 times
A lot of what fix is best is determined by the car itself, IMHO. Fixing any of our cars 'right' isn't worthwhile because they aren't that kind of cars. If anything major happens to any of them, it's easier to just go get another car.

However, if it's a new car, being driven in any areas that are hazardous or by someone who absolutely has to get to places on time, then it needs a proper repair. Although, most new cars have warranties, one would hope any large repairs would be covered by the warranty?

Old 06-26-2019, 12:50 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,778,445 times
Being a self trained mechanic myself, also worked for 2 big auto parts stores and having delivered parts to many different shops in the past, and also owning a few classic cars that are carbureted, I rarely trust mechanics to work on my own cars unless it’s absolutely necessary. Here are some reasons why in my experience dealing with shop owners and their mechanics.

1. I can’t count how many times I’ve been to shops that are completely messy, with parts all
over the ground, not to mention cigarette butts, soda cans, and trash everywhere. This goes to show how careless and disorganized some shops can be. I understand there’s going to be parts on the ground after a job, but to just have random crap everywhere is a sign that some of these shops just don’t have integrity or care too much about it’s reputation or it’s customers. Usually these shops are the cheapest, but are the riskiest because you honestly don’t know what to expect and these guys are the worst for buying the cheapest crappiest parts for your car.

2. Boutique shops that charge an 2 arms and 2 legs just for an oil change, or a brake job. The shops are spotless, very clean, and it’s owners and mechanics can be kind of anal, but it depends. Small maintenance stuff like that you can go somewhere else for, but maybe something more major these shops for the most part have a great reputation and stand by their work. At the same time they won’t give you half ass options to fix things as they want to charge you the most for work that is a permanent solution to a repair, not a bandaid.

3. The more balanced shops I like the most that are nor fancy, nor trashy or sleazy, but a mix of old fashioned great customer service, they give you options for a certain repairs, and actually try to work with you and your budget. There shops are clean but not squeaky clean. The mechanics are professional looking and have their stations organized. These shops might charge more but the type of owners and mechs/techs are way more friendly and nicer to deal with. You can tell they want your business, but will be honest and turn you down if there swamped with work. Very mom and popish and sometimes you have the family running the place.

It’s very hard for me to trust anyone with my cars, and I have good intuition, because at the end of the day, no one will do as good of a job on your vehicle especially if you know how to, than yourself. Every shop has to get customers in and out as fast as they can, so some places are bound to make mistakes or take shortcuts because they have so many other vehicles they have to work on.

I understand customers want things fixed for next to nothing, auto repairs are very expensive these days, the newer the vehicle, the more money.

But at the same time, shops want their parts for next to nothing as well. I’ve seen many shops return perfectly good parts just because they didn’t fix the problem, especially electrical stuff such as sensors and solenoids.
A mechanic will throw a $80 sensor at a vehicle thinking it’s the problem, but come to find out it’s not. But because the sensor was installed, and is full of grease and grime, they will warranty it out because parts stores won’t accept installed electrical components as a regular return, only as a warranty. So the abuse in returning perfectly good parts is notoriously rampant in the auto repair industry. Shops get away with it all the time while the parts stores lose money on it.

This is why it is imperative for even non car people to at least learn the basics of auto repair and what to look out for. Because yes, it’s very expensive to fix vehicles in today’s world. Owning a vehicle is an expensive ordeal, but if you knew what to look for, you can better guide the mechanic/tech in understanding what the problem could be. Since up-selling is big in the auto repair industry, knowing what your vehicle needs and doesn’t can help people save a lot of money.

Also one last thing, I never trust tire shops to fix anything on my cars besides replacing my tires, period. These shops for the most part, have the worst mechanics, the least experienced and they hire pretty much anybody off the streets. I’ve dealt with countless chain shops and independent ones, and they are no different. They all suck and want to up sell you big time. They live and die off the up sell tactic. It’s just not right.

As the cost of living continues to rise in many parts of the country, and as wages continue to become stagnant, car repairs can come down to “do i fix my car this month, or pay my rent/mortgage”? 99.9% of people will most likely choose keeping a roof over their head.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:15 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,626,910 times
Sometimes it’s better to fix what you got than to buy another car. You never know what you are buying. You could be buying a bigger headache than you’re getting rid of. I drive older cars but they are well maintained. When I do my regular maintenance I get to look and see what may be wearing out or may become an issue. Now I can start searching for the best price on that part.

I do 99% of my own work because simply put lots of shops out there simply are not going to do a good job and don’t care. That includes dealers or independent shops. There are times I take my vehicles in because I don’t have the equipment say AC work or alignments. But I’m getting the gauges and a vacuum pump. About all I’ll need is to have the system evacuated or filled.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:19 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,340,801 times
Let me solve everyone's issues w/ mechanics. Buy a Toyota, they should get you to 200k with nothing more than oil,gas and wear and tare items such as battery,brakes,plugs&wires maybe a 02 sensor etc. I just use Mavis or some other cheap place $99 brake pads or $250 with rotors, when the tires go I wait for a sale or go to Amazon and have them shipped paid $300 all in for 4 good years installed. Other than the AC compressor failing at 194k on a 14yr old car that spent 8yrs in Florida never had any issues.

Moral of the story by a Toyota, you won't have to worry about mechanics because they really don't break!

Old 06-26-2019, 09:50 AM

1,166 posts, read 879,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Let me solve everyone's issues w/ mechanics. Buy a Toyota, they should get you to 200k with nothing more than oil,gas and wear and tare items such as battery,brakes,plugs&wires maybe a 02 sensor etc. I just use Mavis or some other cheap place $99 brake pads or $250 with rotors, when the tires go I wait for a sale or go to Amazon and have them shipped paid $300 all in for 4 good years installed. Other than the AC compressor failing at 194k on a 14yr old car that spent 8yrs in Florida never had any issues.

Moral of the story by a Toyota, you won't have to worry about mechanics because they really don't break!
As a mechanic, I can ASSURE you that Toyota’s still break just like every other vehicle. Just got done putting a wheel bearing in a newer Tundra.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:02 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,340,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
As a mechanic, I can ASSURE you that Toyota’s still break just like every other vehicle. Just got done putting a wheel bearing in a newer Tundra.
the 5 we have owned all over 150k issue free. I don't count a wheel bearing as an issue with the car. I hit a asteroid sized crater in the road with my Mustang years ago. It wasn't the cars fault event though Ford makes absolute trash, it was my fault for going 80 in a 50mph zone.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:19 AM

10,594 posts, read 7,821,182 times
Quote:
the 5 we have owned all over 150k issue free. I don't count a wheel bearing as an issue with the car. I hit a asteroid sized crater in the road with my Mustang years ago. It wasn't the cars fault event though Ford makes absolute trash, it was my fault for going 80 in a 50mph zone.
Yes, Toyotas are typically quite well made but also you've lucked out a bit. A neighbor of mine has had nothing but problems with a Tacoma he bought new a few years back. In fact, I'd call it a big fat lemon.

Regarding the title of thread, I favor the third world approach. Namely, keep your vehicle forever if possible and repair with what you have on hand an/or can afford at the time.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:21 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,626,910 times
Quote:

Bs. Toyota’s break like anything else.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:00 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,935,751 times
Yes. Just get a toyota. You will get 400,000 miles with nothing more than three oil changes and one set of brake shoes. The name "toyota conveys a magical shield on the car and makes it impervious to real world impacts.

Oh wait. .. Toyota is just like every other car? They use many of the same parts? Some Toyotas are the exact same car as other brands only with a different name on the Marque? The quality difference is nominal at best? What?
Toyota uses transmissions designed by GM in some cars and/or the exact same transmissions from ZF that Chrysler uses in other cars? Toyota makes some really junky models (like the Corolla)? Impossible!

No, that cannot be true. If you put a Smithco alternator in a Toyota, it is automatically better and will last longer than the same smithco alternator in a Chrysler. Why? because the name silly. Everyone knows the word "Toyota" makes it premier quietly lasts forever and the the Name Chrysler makes it junk. I know this is a fact because I heard some people saying this while standing around the water cooler in the office!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive