Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 10:21 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

Oh, and for the price of a FIAT 500 Abarth you can get an entry level midsize sedan with about the same acceleration as the Abarth but with more room and comfort and better reliability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 06:14 AM

133 posts, read 205,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
When FIAT took over Chrysler, FIAT and its other brands (Alfa Romeo & Lancia) seemed to have a wider diversity of products to offer besides the FIAT 500. To promote the merger they debuted a beautiful Lancia Delta dressed up in a Chrysler suit. Now Lancia is almost totally disappeared, relegated to Italy only. FIAT has plenty of cars but they are nothing more than different flavors of the FIAT 500. Where is the small, light weight, fuel efficient, and fun to drive Chrysler/Dodge based upon FIAT platforms? The Dodge Dart is too big an heavy to compete in its class. And now Chrysler isn't being sold in Europe anymore, not that they sold well there before. Where's the new products? Where's the upside for Chrysler/Dodge?
You haven't seen the complete fruits of the merger yet.

1. Chrysler will be receiving a small sedan named the 100 in the next year. it's based off the Fiat Aegea.
2. Dodge has been refocused into performance- the Dart is as small as its going to get, and you'll see the Dart "reimagined" when it comes time for the next generation.
3. Other Dodge's will take advantage of a cheaper version of Alfa Romeo's Giorgio platform in order to continue the performance slant (not until 2018 and beyond)
4. New Town & Country minivan debuting in January at Detroit
5. Upcoming new "Hurricane" I4 motor will be put into the Jeep Cherokee, Chrysler 200, Dodge Dart next year
6. Possible new Chrysler crossover using new minivan platform (unconfirmed)

Old 11-04-2015, 06:32 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Quote:
Oh, and for the price of a FIAT 500 Abarth you can get an entry level midsize sedan with about the same acceleration as the Abarth but with more room and comfort and better reliability.
Why would you compare a subcompact sports car to a stripper midsize sedan? When looking at one, you don't WANT the other. Stupid comparison.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Where are you getting your pricing because an Abarth starts at $22.5k. The Fiesta ST starts at $20.7k.
From local dealer advertised prices. Like this:

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-...ting=107837994

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-...ting=100903073

Old 11-04-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
To summarize, FIAT 500 buyers care only about style, regardless of the mechanical quality. .
No, they care about style, performance, sound, agility, handling and more. Drive an Abarth and it's massive fun. THAT'S what people are buying.

Sorry, not everything has to be about what YOU find most important in a car. I don't want a boring car just because you think it's more "reliable."

Old 11-04-2015, 06:46 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,553,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Where are you getting your pricing because an Abarth starts at $22.5k. The Fiesta ST starts at $20.7k.
LOL. Nobody is paying sticker for Abarths. Everyone that I have talked to have been getting them at thousands below MSRP. Heck, I've seen lightly used 2014 & 15 models go for $13-$14k. I even had a non Abarth model come through the other day, 2015 model with 5k miles. $10k before taxes. Even had sunroof (it was a manual though, which is what the girl wanted).

Old 11-04-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
No, they care about style, performance, sound, agility, handling and more. Drive an Abarth and it's massive fun. THAT'S what people are buying.

Sorry, not everything has to be about what YOU find most important in a car. I don't want a boring car just because you think it's more "reliable."
You want fun driving, get a Mazda 3, Subaru BRZ or its Scion clone. There are many choices for the price that offer equal or better performance. My comparison to the midsize sedan was to illustrate the difference in what you can get for the price. All those midsize sedans in base model are just as fast or faster than the Abarth. Some of them take a corner just as good as the Abarth. And none of those midsize sedans are stripped down. They come with plenty of standard features. The Mazda6 is the sportiest of the bunch. There are also compact sedans and coupes to choose from that offer similar power and performance for the same price while offering more room for passengers and cargo. Heck, a V6 Mustang and Camaro comes in close to that price range with about 300 hp and rear wheel drive. Even the Hyundai Veloster Turbo is in the same price range and performance level as the Abarth.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
You want fun driving, get a Mazda 3, Subaru BRZ or its Scion clone. There are many choices for the price that offer equal or better performance.
All of which are higher priced, bigger cars, have crappy sound, or feel slower. You've obviously never driven an Abarth.

Quote:
My comparison to the midsize sedan was to illustrate the difference in what you can get for the price. All those midsize sedans in base model are just as fast or faster than the Abarth. Some of them take a corner just as good as the Abarth.
Not base model ones for $18k, they don't. And what you can get for the price? You can do that with any sports car, and worse, you can do that comparing new with used.

Quote:
And none of those midsize sedans are stripped down. They come with plenty of standard features. The Mazda6 is the sportiest of the bunch.
For $18k no it doesn't. And again, no one is going to cross shop a fun, agile subcompact with a much more boring, larger, less agile and yes, more expensive mid size sedan. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

There are also compact sedans and coupes to choose from that offer similar power and performance for the same price while offering more room for passengers and cargo. Heck, a V6 Mustang and Camaro comes in close to that price range with about 300 hp and rear wheel drive. Even the Hyundai Veloster Turbo is in the same price range and performance level as the Abarth.[/quote]

No, it's not. And someone wanting a small agile car is NOT going to cross shop with a more expensive Mustang or Camaro, which feel much larger and much more unwieldy.

Again, you've obviously got a bug up your butt about something you've never driven, so kindly shut up until you learn something.

I don't own an Abarth, though I wouldn't mind one. I own a BMW 7 series and a MINI Cooper. I'd never have cross shopped the MINI with any ANY mid size sedan or boring economy car. I did cross shop it with the Abarth, but my wife works for MINI and we got a good deal on it other wise there would have been a black Abarth in my driveway.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
All of which are higher priced, bigger cars, have crappy sound, or feel slower. You've obviously never driven an Abarth.

Not base model ones for $18k, they don't. And what you can get for the price? You can do that with any sports car, and worse, you can do that comparing new with used.

For $18k no it doesn't. And again, no one is going to cross shop a fun, agile subcompact with a much more boring, larger, less agile and yes, more expensive mid size sedan. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

There are also compact sedans and coupes to choose from that offer similar power and performance for the same price while offering more room for passengers and cargo. Heck, a V6 Mustang and Camaro comes in close to that price range with about 300 hp and rear wheel drive. Even the Hyundai Veloster Turbo is in the same price range and performance level as the Abarth.
No, it's not. And someone wanting a small agile car is NOT going to cross shop with a more expensive Mustang or Camaro, which feel much larger and much more unwieldy.

Again, you've obviously got a bug up your butt about something you've never driven, so kindly shut up until you learn something.

I don't own an Abarth, though I wouldn't mind one. I own a BMW 7 series and a MINI Cooper. I'd never have cross shopped the MINI with any ANY mid size sedan or boring economy car. I did cross shop it with the Abarth, but my wife works for MINI and we got a good deal on it other wise there would have been a black Abarth in my driveway.[/quote]
Yes, people looking to buy a FIAT 500 wouldn't be looking at those other options. That makes the FIAT 500 a niche segment car with no mass market appeal.to be successful in today's market FIAT needs to offer vehicles with mass market appeal that also has decent reliability and a good dealer network. The closest to the 500 is the Mini Cooper. The Mini brand isn't a stand alone brand. They have the backing of BMW, an internationally successful brand. FIAT is partnered with Chrysler, a brand that was on the verge of bankruptcy. The successful brands offer mass market models before offering a niche vehicle that appeals to a small customer base. Having a cute fun to drive micro compact at those prices with questionable reliability isn't a recipe for success.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:59 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
The VW Golf TSI can be had for $16,750 right now and that especially with a tune is a far superior car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive