Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 08:34 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,766,031 times

Advertisements

If someone is looking for excellent handling and acceleration, odds are pretty good towing capacity is not something they are overly concerned with. And have you noticed that you have to keep qualifying your statements about a Dodge with "for an SUV..."? That means it doesn't handle well.

Also, spending that amount of money on a Dodge is ludicrous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 08:40 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,106,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
If someone is looking for excellent handling and acceleration, odds are pretty good towing capacity is not something they are overly concerned with. And have you noticed that you have to keep qualifying your statements about a Dodge with "for an SUV..."? That means it doesn't handle well.

Also, spending that amount of money on a Dodge is ludicrous.
Exactly. Some of the vehicles people have suggested are ridiculous. It honestly makes me wonder whether they even bothered to read what the OP was after. I realize this forum isn't really for car enthusiasts, but damn. Recommending an Explorer or an Accord and saying they have excellent acceleration and handling... Just wow.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:54 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Again, don't knock it unless you drive it! For an SUV, the Durango does handle excellently in my opinion. I drive it every day so I would know. I've had other SUV's and they didn't handle like the Durango. No, it's not a Maserti, but it can tow over 7K.....can't do that with most vehicles.
The Citadel version doesn't even handle excellently "for a Durango" as the R/T has the sportier suspension setup.

Maseratis aren't known for excellent handling in their class either...

But someone just asked for a vehicle that handles excellently and you throw up a 5000lb SUV as the suggestion?

Old 12-01-2015, 04:44 AM

816 posts, read 995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
And this post just made me snicker, then laugh. This is why the vast majority of cars today on the road are so boring. If you think an Accord has excellent acceleration and handling, you're not making manufacturers set the bar very high with this nonsense.
Instead of snickering, why don't you come up with a suggestion for the OP? With all of the options listed, you won't be able to suggest much under $40k. And I'm assuming you've never driven an Accord V6, which I think is actually over powered, and the handling is excellent compared to other sedans in that price range.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:59 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,783,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxcarseeker View Post
I am looking for a sedan, crossover or SUV that meets the following criteria (listed in order of importance). Please help me find it.

I am looking to spend less than 40k out the door (MSRP could be well above that).

MUST HAVES:

1. Excellent acceleration (no pickup lag or jerky transmission)
2. Excellent handling (this may exclude all Asian cars...)
3. Excellent stereo (at least 400 watts, at least 9 speakers) and acoustics (I have done aftermarket stereos before and I honestly no longer want to deal with that hassle)
4. Sun/moonroof
5. Backup camera
6. Leather
7. Large infotainment display

OPTIONAL (in other words, I would be willing to pay above 40k if the following were available):

8. Lumbar support
9. Heated seats
10. Power trunk/tailgate door
A sedan I had that met most of that criteria (in my opinion) was my 2011 Subaru STi Limited. The only things on the list that it did not have was the backup camera and power trunk.

I don't know about the newer model STi offerings, but the only way you could get the STi sedan in 2011 with a sunroof was to get the limited package and that set the car MSRP at 40K. More if you got the navigation package.

I am guessing Subaru is still offering this configuration but I personally hate the new body style so I would never get one.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:19 AM

4,482 posts, read 3,857,652 times
My brother has a new Mercedes C300 and it handles amazing, has awesome pickup and the best sound system (Burmester) I've heard under 50k. Dunno if you can get it for less than 40k. But it's a blast to drive. The car just FLIES.
This car also has the most beautiful interior of any new car I have seen in YEARS.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:41 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,106,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
Instead of snickering, why don't you come up with a suggestion for the OP? With all of the options listed, you won't be able to suggest much under $40k. And I'm assuming you've never driven an Accord V6, which I think is actually over powered, and the handling is excellent compared to other sedans in that price range.
Considering that the OP said they'd be willing to go OVER 40k for something that had everything on their list, AND that they didn't say it had to be brand new, that leaves a TON of cars that meet all the criteria far better than an Accord.

The Accord is a poor choice for someone looking for "excellent" acceleration and handling. If you think it's over powered and you have to add a disclaimer that the handling is "excellent" compared to other sedans, you're already making excuses for it.

There are SUVs that are faster and can handle better than the lowly Accord.

The OP needs to figure out what they want first. I wouldn't bother coming up with suggestions either until they can narrow down the options.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:43 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times
OP hasn't come back so I don't think there is any need to respond anymore

Old 12-01-2015, 10:11 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
I'm not a sedan guy and have never owned one. I like trucks, Jeeps and sports cars but I was impressed with a recent rental.
I'm surprised that no has mentioned the Camry to the OP. We took a trip and had a really nice Camry as a rental car. It didn't have the sunroof but it had everything else the OP is looking for. The one we had even had the paddle shifters on the steering wheel.
It was a nice car.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:05 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,766,031 times
People on this forum have a really warped view of what constitutes excellent acceleration and handling. In no way is the Camry a shining example of either quality. It is more akin to Valium on wheels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive