Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 11:21 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,438,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Sometimes I need to leave the freeway and need to change to the far right lane. I generally anticipate my exit at least 1-2 miles before the EXIT comes. I never cut in front of the other drivers I always wait for a convenient opening.

I have noted that many drivers accelerate if they see me changing to their lane. It seems they want to create the illusion I dangerously cut them off as I changed lanes. It has gotten so bad that sometimes I do not use the turn signal before changing lanes. It seems that the turn signal is the cue they need to accelerate and prevent other drivers from changing lanes.

So I pretend I am not interested in changing lanes and then make my move. At the moment of changing lanes I then turn on the turn signal. But, to my surprise I still see people that rabidly accelerate to prevent the lane change.

Why is that?

How long are you leaving your blinker on? If I see someone ahead of me and their blinker comes on, I wait. If they don't make a move, I speed up, usually make a snarky remark about a dumbass, and get out of their way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 11:22 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,253,787 times
Quote:
I have seen stupid drivers that are at least 300 meters away close the gap I change lanes. I know there are some folks that are always in a hurry, but I simply need to leave the freeway. Why would anyone do 80 MPH in the right lane?
If you're that far ahead of them they they would have no chance to "close the gap" unless you are dilly dallying.

Someone might be going 80mph in the right lane to get around someone going 60mph in the left lane.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:34 AM

17,285 posts, read 15,484,112 times
What about morons who refuse to use turn signals?

Old 01-06-2016, 11:50 AM

19,148 posts, read 25,375,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
1. Maybe you are overestimating how far you are from the car you want to change in front of is. - "objects in mirror are closer than they appear".

2. Maybe it's because you could have gotten behind them, but you sped up and tried to force your way in only to then slow down for your exit. Those who do that can't understand why you didn't just get behind and slow down and not slow them down.

3. Maybe you waited until the last second to exit and they didn't like that. I know you say you anticipate 1 to 2 miles before the exit, but I didn't see you say you actually got over in advance.

4. Maybe it's none of the above and they're just being iceholes.

I think that the post quoted above is the best answer, with the emphasis on possibility #1.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:52 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,357,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
1. Maybe you are overestimating how far you are from the car you want to change in front of is. - "objects in mirror are closer than they appear".
I do q quick check of the blind spot and I make sure there is a big opening before changing lanes. Nevertheless, many try to close the gap as soon as anyone is changing lanes. I also see this when other drivers are switching lanes.

Quote:
2. Maybe it's because you could have gotten behind them, but you sped up and tried to force your way in only to then slow down for your exit. Those who do that can't understand why you didn't just get behind and slow down and not slow them down.
No, I usually slow down and change lanes behind the cowboys that get annoyed by having anyone change lanes in front of them. OTOH, I always give plenty of space to those that need to change lanes.

Quote:
3. Maybe you waited until the last second to exit and they didn't like that. I know you say you anticipate 1 to 2 miles before the exit, but I didn't see you say you actually got over in advance.
I generally anticipate 1-2 miles before. But, anticipation is not always possible when driving in an unknown road. I had other drivers try very hard to prevent a lane change so I can leave the freeway.

Quote:
4. Maybe it's none of the above and they're just being iceholes.
But, why??? Really?? Who cares if someone needs to change lanes to exit the highway!

Old 01-06-2016, 11:54 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,944,810 times
How about some of them are closing the gap to incite an accident as they are scammers...

Old 01-06-2016, 11:55 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,357,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
If you're that far ahead of them they they would have no chance to "close the gap" unless you are dilly dallying.

Someone might be going 80mph in the right lane to get around someone going 60mph in the left lane.
Why not slow down just a bit and not take this so personally? I could care less about the road except when another driver is trying to cause harm on purpose. Who are these people?

Old 01-06-2016, 12:00 PM

8,700 posts, read 11,099,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
It's asinine, I know - not sure why they do that. It's commonplace in NYC so I am used to this routine:

1. Look at my mirror
2. Turn my head to look at the blind spot
3. Put my signal as I start to change lanes.

These *******s just don't want you in front of them. Sometime they will speed up to "close the gap" when they see you try to change lanes. It's silly really.
as a fellow NYer, I agree with you. How about the flipside? People who cut in front of you then brakes!!

Old 01-06-2016, 12:10 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,972,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
How about some of them are closing the gap to incite an accident as they are scammers...
Most rear end accidents place blame on the one who rear ended.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:17 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,349,217 times
Quote:
Sometimes I need to leave the freeway and need to change to the far right lane. I generally anticipate my exit at least 1-2 miles before the EXIT comes. I never cut in front of the other drivers I always wait for a convenient opening.

I have noted that many drivers accelerate if they see me changing to their lane. It seems they want to create the illusion I dangerously cut them off as I changed lanes. It has gotten so bad that sometimes I do not use the turn signal before changing lanes. It seems that the turn signal is the cue they need to accelerate and prevent other drivers from changing lanes.

So I pretend I am not interested in changing lanes and then make my move. At the moment of changing lanes I then turn on the turn signal. But, to my surprise I still see people that rabidly accelerate to prevent the lane change.

Why is that?
It's "NASCAR rules",the race out there is never ending and you don't want anyone to get ahead of you !

Drivers ettiquette is a lesson that dearly needs to be learned and for most people doesn't get taught until a fender bender happens or the man with the patriotic "red, white, and blue" lights on the top of his car decides to have a talk with you on the side of the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive