Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 03:13 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times

Advertisements

I find it's men who don't want anyone pulling in front of them... like, what gives? they feel that they own the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 04:29 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
You gotta realize that you are sharing the road with some of the rudest,discourteous,power tripping morons society has to offer, expect them to do stupid stuff and work to avoid these idiots.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:50 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,200,641 times
I see this move all of the time. Cruising in the left lane and then a last second dart across the right lane to exit. It disrupts the flow of traffic and it is dangerous for everyone involved. It is the same attitude people have when there is road construction and the right lane is open. There will always be people who pass everyone lined up in the right lane, instead of getting in line and then try to cut in front of everybody up at the front. If people are accelerating to cut you off then they are saying get your *ss in line like everybody else.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:44 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
1. Maybe you are overestimating how far you are from the car you want to change in front of is. - "objects in mirror are closer than they appear".

2. Maybe it's because you could have gotten behind them, but you sped up and tried to force your way in only to then slow down for your exit. Those who do that can't understand why you didn't just get behind and slow down and not slow them down.

3. Maybe you waited until the last second to exit and they didn't like that. I know you say you anticipate 1 to 2 miles before the exit, but I didn't see you say you actually got over in advance.

4. Maybe it's none of the above and they're just being iceholes.
Since the OP admits to not using his turn signal before changing lanes, which is a clear violation of traffic law and basic road etiquette, I’m betting on some combination of 1, 2 and 3.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:30 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

I generally anticipate 1-2 miles before. But, anticipation is not always possible when driving in an unknown road. I had other drivers try very hard to prevent a lane change so I can leave the freeway.
I think you misunderstood me. I see anticipation as just "I thought about it" or "I planned to..." The actual action of changing lanes was not mentioned by you. I can assume you meant it, but I am wary of assuming anything. That's the way it is.

Quote:
But, why??? Really?? Who cares if someone needs to change lanes to exit the highway!
I learned a long time ago that figuring out why people do stuff is a waste of time. If it's not something you are doing that makes them react, then there is no answer to Why they do it.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:33 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
In my experience if you deem it reasonable and safe to merge there should be no time for the person you are merging in front of to speed up and prevent you from merging. Make sure its safe to merge, then put on your signal as you are merging. The only time I could see someone being able to speed up is if you realize you need to get over, put your turn signal on and assume someone will let you over when there is no gap to actually merge...or you are utilizing your turn signal way too early and going much slower than the flow of traffic in which case would appear people are speeding up. Or they are speeding up because you are going so much slower and don't want to get stuck behind you.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:01 AM

16 posts, read 28,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I see this move all of the time. Cruising in the left lane and then a last second dart across the right lane to exit. It disrupts the flow of traffic and it is dangerous for everyone involved. It is the same attitude people have when there is road construction and the right lane is open. There will always be people who pass everyone lined up in the right lane, instead of getting in line and then try to cut in front of everybody up at the front. If people are accelerating to cut you off then they are saying get your *ss in line like everybody else.
^ THIS! Take note and be a part of the solution...not the problem!

Old 01-07-2016, 11:09 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
If you are not passing someone, why are you just cruising along in the left lane? Not to say that people aren't jerk who won't let anyone in, but it seems like you don't have a reason to be in the left lane.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:11 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Also will add that a lot of newer cars will not let you change lanes without signaling - at least not without a fight. They think you are drifting out of your lane and will steer you back.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:22 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Driving in LA it is best if you NOT use your blinkers. After visiting there you just kind of scoot in. Turning on your blinkers is like you said and invitation for cross traffic to speed up and block you.

Here in Denver I do use my blinkers and no one is really annoyed by it

Blinkers? I haven't heard that old term in ages. I think cars from the 40s had blinkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive