Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 08:32 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,916,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
By 2050 I will be 116, I am sure enough not going to sweat it.
where as, assuming i live that long with nearly dead kidneys, i will only be 91. perhaps i need to set that still up after all so i have fuel for internal combustion engines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 10:01 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,645,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I believe Randy Travis had a hit song with those feelings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0HC3tihRiE
Lol man that's a throwback. I remember listening to that song

Old 01-11-2016, 12:07 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,773,559 times
Tesla which makes only EV can get to 60 in under 5 secs, a similar gas powered car needs 400HP to match the performance.

2013 Tesla Model S Performance (310 kW) 0-60 mph 3.9 | Quarter mile 12.4

^ That's a sedan not a sports car. That spec above looks like a Vette or GTR but it's Tesla Model S.

EV gets instant torque, the power is instantaneous and not progressive like combustion engine which makes peak HP at a certain rev.

The only thing left to improve is battery tech, once that's solved I wouldn't know anyone who would still want a gas powered car. Top end HP means nothing when you only get that at peak levels in a gas engine.

For EVs, you get instant full HP and completely sealed motor that does not require frequent oil chances and much longer life.

It's only a matter of time when people who has not experienced EVs die out and younger people who are born into this tech will not even look at gas cars.

It's like kids who grew up with ipads and iphones today won't even look at older tech.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:09 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,730,196 times
Since the ttile of his thread is "road predictions", I'll deal with roads and vehicles. First roads. Dirt roads will be a growing trend. As paved roads become unusable, dirt roads become better than deteriorated paved roads. Bridges will rust away and private ferries will become common. That's the way things work in third world countries and in the back country of more developed nations like Siberia.

What in the world is this guy talking about? We have 95,000,000 Americans between the ages of 18 and 65 not working. Those of us who do work cannot afford to feed those who do not work. That is very simple economics. By the way, there are many between the ages of 65 and 85 who DO work. We like to eat. I am talking about our nation "post collapse". The collapse is not going to be pretty. The entitlement class is going to go after what they have not earned. They will want what they are accustomed to and never did earn. It will be very ugly.

As to the second half of the question, people will be driving reliable 4 WD vehicles. They will want good mileage so they will be driving 35 year old Subaru Foresters and Toyota Rav 4s. "Gear heads" will be very much in demand in 2050. A Morgan horse will be worth more than a Rav 4. There will be NO ethanol blended with the 80 octane fuel. As electronic modules fail in cars the cars will be modified. We my even see manually controlled spark advance distributors as we used to before vacuum advance was invented. As a former and current "gear head", former aviation test pilot, economist and fine judge of onion soup, I have a very different view of the world compared to today's college graduates. An 8th grader in 1948 knew more about staying alive than most college grads today.

Sleep well folks. Enjoy these good old days. You are about to be gobsmacked, a fine and appropriate Scottish term.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:28 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,916,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Tesla which makes only EV can get to 60 in under 5 secs, a similar gas powered car needs 400HP to match the performance.

^ That's a sedan not a sports car. That spec above looks like a Vette or GTR but it's Tesla Model S.

EV gets instant torque, the power is instantaneous and not progressive like combustion engine which makes peak HP at a certain rev.

The only thing left to improve is battery tech, once that's solved I wouldn't know anyone who would still want a gas powered car. Top end HP means nothing when you only get that at peak levels in a gas engine.

For EVs, you get instant full HP and completely sealed motor that does not require frequent oil chances and much longer life.

It's only a matter of time when people who has not experienced EVs die out and younger people who are born into this tech will not even look at gas cars.

It's like kids who grew up with ipads and iphones today won't even look at older tech.
thats all well and good, but i am not paying $100,000 for a sedan that has a range of 200 miles, and take all night to charge up fully.

i would much rather take that money, buy a nice mustang, add a supercharger and a suspension kit, and bank the rest as $50,000 will buy a lot of gasoline.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:54 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,011,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Hybrids make sense for someone who does a lot of stop and go driving, but there's not much benefit to them for someone who drives majority highway. You really have to do the math to see if it's worth it, for me it wouldn't be. They are still niche vehicles.
I thought the same thing for all the years since hybrids came out. Lately, after doing research and asking friends and relatives who own them, I started looking at them again. Since the Prius is all new for 2016, the well proven 2015's were available for about the same price as a similar non-hybrid. My driving is about a 60/40 highway/city split and I'm averaging 53.2 mpg combined. On long highway trips, I'm averaging 47.2mpg. Of course that's in Florida which has a pretty stable climate, and is rather flat.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:26 AM

9,404 posts, read 14,355,785 times
About a hundred years ago, densely populated cities were piled knee-high deep in horse manure and people thought the environment would collapse, the world would come to an end.

Then motor vehicles, among which the gasoline powered engine won out.

Hundred years later, densely populated cities and suburbs are piled nose-high in gases and people think the environment is collapsing, the world coming to an end.

Maybe.

But I have some confidence in the hope of smart roads and, if not hybrid gas/electric vehicles or all-electric vehicles, then some other type(s) of vehicles and/or transport system(s) developed through primary research in the coming decades that will win out and rule the day for another hundred years.

Driving gasoline engine vehicles may be fun, but it's not that fun. I, for one, would rather read a book, do other productive things, or relax with my eyes closed listening to music, and I'm pretty sure that most people in the future will too.

Good Luck!

Old 01-11-2016, 07:27 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,730,926 times
The first production electric car was in 1884, and by 1900 electric cars outnumbered gas powered models 38% to 22%. Electric is not a new idea, it is actually the "old tech" in the automotive world, right up there with steam power. Electric was pretty much abandoned because of range issues and charging issues, the same problems it faces 115 years later.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:42 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,645,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Nobody said there is no performance potential. But not everyone is looking for speed. What S it going to take to make a electric car that can tow what my diesel tows? Am I going to carry a 8,000 pound battery pack? And drive a car twice as long?
Yeah I guess if everyone can afford 100,000 dollar cars we would all have one. Hopefully nobody needs to tow anything, or haul furniture. Yes sure some day gas power will be obsolete. It's just not going to be in 2050. And it takes a long time to get rid of gas vehicles through rate of attrition. You're talking about a complete renovation of the automotive industry. Not only cars but the support in parts and service. And there are a lot of people making parts for gas cars. Nobody us gonna let go of that industry anytime soon.
There are STILL cars being driven from the early 1900s. That should tell you something. You're not going to completely revamp the auto industry in 34 years where everyone will be in a electric car. Just not gonna happen.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 01-11-2016 at 08:03 AM..

Old 01-11-2016, 07:43 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,357,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Since the ttile of his thread is "road predictions", I'll deal with roads and vehicles. First roads. Dirt roads will be a growing trend. As paved roads become unusable, dirt roads become better than deteriorated paved roads. Bridges will rust away and private ferries will become common. That's the way things work in third world countries and in the back country of more developed nations like Siberia.

What in the world is this guy talking about? We have 95,000,000 Americans between the ages of 18 and 65 not working. Those of us who do work cannot afford to feed those who do not work. That is very simple economics. By the way, there are many between the ages of 65 and 85 who DO work. We like to eat. I am talking about our nation "post collapse". The collapse is not going to be pretty. The entitlement class is going to go after what they have not earned. They will want what they are accustomed to and never did earn. It will be very ugly.

As to the second half of the question, people will be driving reliable 4 WD vehicles. They will want good mileage so they will be driving 35 year old Subaru Foresters and Toyota Rav 4s. "Gear heads" will be very much in demand in 2050. A Morgan horse will be worth more than a Rav 4. There will be NO ethanol blended with the 80 octane fuel. As electronic modules fail in cars the cars will be modified. We my even see manually controlled spark advance distributors as we used to before vacuum advance was invented. As a former and current "gear head", former aviation test pilot, economist and fine judge of onion soup, I have a very different view of the world compared to today's college graduates. An 8th grader in 1948 knew more about staying alive than most college grads today.

Sleep well folks. Enjoy these good old days. You are about to be gobsmacked, a fine and appropriate Scottish term.
A survivalist. How cute!

The United States is the wealthiest country on earth with 200+ years of political stability. A college grad doesn't have survivalist skills because they are completely unnecessary. In 2050, the population of the United States will be approaching 450 million. The economic elite in the United States will mostly be the Asians and Indians who are now occupying the slots at the elite universities. The taxes they pay on all that wealth and income will fund all the infrastructure everybody else uses.

35 years from now, autonomous cars will be normal. There will be self-driving car lanes on all the highways the way there are car pool lanes now. If you commute, you'll own a self-driving car to get access to those lanes where cars speed along bumper-to-bumper at 60 mph in perfect safety while the single lane with those old rusted out manual transmission Subaru Foresters and RAV4s crawls along stop & go. Technology will solve the big city traffic jam problem. If I'm still alive 35 years from now, I'll be in my early 90's. Those self-driving cars will help keep me in my house instead of being stuffed in an assisted living facility. With no labor cost, a cab ride somewhere will be dirt cheap. Delivery of consumer goods to my home will all be done by autonomous vehicles. No FEDEX guy or mailman. No pizza delivery guy. I view what I want on my wall-sized home theater, order it, and it shows up at my door in a few minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive