Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 05:31 PM

26 posts, read 39,174 times

Advertisements

I have to show those of you that advocate for your "right" to sit in the left lane what a disservice you are doing to everyone else. The following video shows me navigating through somewhat thick traffic, which is standard for much of SoCal. I then found myself on a suddenly empty freeway while looking back at a massive fleet of cars. Holy crap. It was the light at the end of the tunnel. It just goes to show you how traffic would flow so much more smoothly if people stuck to the proper lanes and left the left lanes open for passing. People are stuck because they can't pass slower traffic. This leads to traffic backing up. This is actually the second time I've been able to achieve this, but the first time I had no dash cam. Mostly I just stick with the flow of traffic because it tends to be utterly pointless and dangerous to weave, but I will take any open lane which can lead to weaving like in this case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYufT9P4gm8

Now that I have a rear camera, if I ever get an opportunity to do this again, I will be sure to post it. It was an utter mess behind me. Please stop blocking the flow of traffic. Especially in larger metro areas, there are usually more than two lanes to choose from. There is no excuse in places like this to camp in the left lane where the exits are on the right. If you manage to cork four lanes of traffic, you are doing something wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 12:11 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Sometimes I wished this was like a video game that I can just blast the slow hog car in front of me and jet away!

Old 01-11-2016, 05:29 PM

26 posts, read 39,174 times
Some people should just stick to riding their horses.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:00 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
How about the people in the left lane for whom you can never go fast enough? I go 70-75 in the fast lane, but there's always some jerk whose mad at me because he/she wants to do 80 or 85.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:07 PM

802 posts, read 1,367,395 times
70 is slow for left lane.
you can easily do 70 in middle or right lane. without making traffic in left lane.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:44 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtrustates View Post
70 is slow for left lane.
you can easily do 70 in middle or right lane. without making traffic in left lane.
Depends on what the speed limit is. Today, driving on a toll road with an 80 mph limit, 70 was slow. On a road with a 70 mph limit, not so much.

Again, if you are griping about people not obeying the "slower traffic keep right" law because it keeps you from disobeying the speed limit law, you're not only a hypocrite, you need to grow up.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:46 PM

802 posts, read 1,367,395 times
driving exactly speed limit in left lane and holding traffic up is just selfish.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:14 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,376 times
People who go slow in the left lane don't care about others. This behavior is not exclusive to driving. The car is a little fiefdom of theirs, they can self righteously force other cars to slow down, or put-put along in their own little minds without a clue, like Mr. Magoo. Blowing the horn, dirty looks, dirty gestures, cutting them off when you can finally pass, stopping in front of them, flashing highbeams, nothing will change these people. The only thing a normal driver can do is to leave extra travel time to allow for the narrow minded drivers. If you find yourself getting angry, it's your fault for not giving yourself enough time. There will always be these people on the roads, so one must expect this and act accordingly. Just like one must expect parking lots at a crowded shopping mall to be a war zone, especially at Christmas Time. Which is another thing that boggles the mind, considering what Christmas is supposed to be about.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:31 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Driving exactly the speed limit can create congestion and incite road rage because 90% of drivers don't drive the speed limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoETMCosULQ

Not keeping up with traffic, creating a larger difference is speed is a much bigger hazard than the average "speeder".

Old 01-11-2016, 07:47 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Depends on what the speed limit is. Today, driving on a toll road with an 80 mph limit, 70 was slow. On a road with a 70 mph limit, not so much.

Again, if you are griping about people not obeying the "slower traffic keep right" law because it keeps you from disobeying the speed limit law, you're not only a hypocrite, you need to grow up.
Still determined to be smug and self righteous eh? In the real world (where grown ups operate) virtually nobody drives the speed limit and most adults recognize that fact. "speed limits" are all but universally set to low almost everywhere in the US, that's why everybody "speeds". Drivers know it, the police know it, everyone but you seems to know it. You're happy being a danger on the road as long as you can smugly claim "I'm going the speed limit".

http://priceonomics.com/is-every-speed-limit-too-low/

Looks like Canadian drivers are just like American drivers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BKdbxX1pDw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive