Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2016, 11:31 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachF View Post
Coal usage has been dropping in the US since 2008.
67% of the nations energy comes fossil fuels and the greenies just found large golf cart that will likely be plugged in when the sun goes down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 11:49 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
67% of the nations energy comes fossil fuels and the greenies just found large golf cart that will likely be plugged in when the sun goes down.
Exactly! It's only a "feel good" yuppie mobile with no,zippo,none environmental benefits to it. Batteries that use way more energy to create and the waste from old ones? Don't even go there.
Then I guess electricity just appears out of thin air in the wires to their homes, not from any fossil fuels.

Sheeple led by the likes of Al Gore.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:30 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Who reads consumer reports anymore? Senior citizens?
Maybe younger people should, too?

Old 04-03-2016, 12:38 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Except Trsla is rated unreliable by Consumer Reports. Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt get much higher ratings in reliability. Tesla only makes EVs and does it worse than companies that make them as a side gig.
Yes, the cars from the first two production years were quite terrible. They are often plagued with problems. I think it is quite typical for new advanced car models.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:52 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Yes, the cars from the first two production years were quite terrible. They are often plagued with problems. I think it is quite typical for new advanced car models.
True, but so was the Volt and Leaf. CR made it a point to point out out the 2014's and 15's weren't fairing much better.,

Old 04-03-2016, 12:54 PM

Tesla is basically the Blackberry of cars. Might first with the idea, but not neccessarily best in the end.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:09 PM

336 posts, read 378,261 times
Wow, lots of haters / skeptics in this thread.

I see electric cars and solar power going hand-in-hand. Currently, paid 100% upfront, the average home solar installation costs $20-25K. But SolarCity and others are looking to bring the installation cost down to $10-15K over the next 3-5 years. Solar battery solutions are also falling in price. A year or two ago, it cost $10-15K to add battery capability to a solar installation, to leverage solar power after the sun goes down. With Tesla's new solar battery back, it costs an extra $5K. And Tesla, SolarCity, etc. aim to bring the added cost of a battery to $3K or less. With that battery, the solar power generated during the day will charge your Tesla at night.

Who knows, with continued improvements in solar panels and battery integration, we could see a Tesla in 5-7 years with an option for a solar roof to supplement range and/or reduce charging needs.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:21 PM

336 posts, read 378,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
While true, this electricity is almost enirely generated from domestic sources.

No payment to the Middle East required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Exactly! It's only a "feel good" yuppie mobile with no,zippo,none environmental benefits to it. Batteries that use way more energy to create and the waste from old ones? Don't even go there.
Then I guess electricity just appears out of thin air in the wires to their homes, not from any fossil fuels.
I wouldn't say there is no benefit. About 33% (and growing) of U.S. electricity is generated from sources that are far more environmentally friendly than burning gasoline.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGeek View Post

I see electric cars and solar power going hand-in-hand. Currently, paid 100% upfront, the average home solar installation costs $20-25K. But SolarCity and others are looking to bring the installation cost down to $10-15K over the next 3-5 years. Solar battery solutions are also falling in price. A year or two ago, it cost $10-15K to add battery capability to a solar installation, to leverage solar power after the sun goes down. With Tesla's new solar battery back, it costs an extra $5K. And Tesla, SolarCity, etc. aim to bring the added cost of a battery to $3K or less. With that battery, the solar power generated during the day will charge your Tesla at night.

Who knows, with continued improvements in solar panels and battery integration, we could see a Tesla in 5-7 years with an option for a solar roof to supplement range and/or reduce charging needs.
I find it odd that people think they can charge their Tesla with solar power. If you drive your Tesla during the day, solar power isn't charging anything till you get home in the evening. So you're basically saying the solar panels charge your home batteries which in turn discharge into your Tesla after sunset. Of course that's after taking a loss in energy in the home battery charging process and the loss in charging the Tesla. In the winter during long periods of low sunlight and clouds, I have no idea what you're thinking will happen. You'll have both a cold house and dead car.
If you haven't noticed, Solar City is up against the ropes. Their income is 100% dependent on fickle subsidies. They package their income in the form of solar bonds which they sell to investors. It's a financing scheme not a solar company.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:40 PM

899 posts, read 1,015,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGeek View Post

I will only be a "hater" if EVs/autonomous vehicles in general have any negative effects on those who still want to enjoy human controlled gas/diesel powered vehicles.

I've heard about higher tech roads that would allow EVs to charge while in operation, but solar panels sound like a better idea as long as it's sunny out. Until an EV can be charged in the amount of time it takes for me to fill up with gas, I'm not sure I want in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive