Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2016, 07:55 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Except Trsla is rated unreliable by Consumer Reports. Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt get much higher ratings in reliability. Tesla only makes EVs and does it worse than companies that make them as a side gig.
Who reads consumer reports anymore? Senior citizens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 08:19 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
My 97 tahoe gets about 450 miles on a 30 gallon tank. Yep it's a guzzler but if all i cared about was fuel mileage i'd ride a bike, take the bus or get a motorcycle or moped.
Ya I know .

But if I had 35K I will get a almost new Genesis or an used S class , just my personal choice..Lots of factors go into a car, not just the brand name and coolness IMO.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:36 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
That 200 mile range is at 50 MPH with no long uphill's and no heater, no air conditioning, no headlights, no windshield wipers, no radio.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:42 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post

I think we are seeing the future, folks. This isn't Steve Jobs and some $500 phone. This is, IMO, the biggest change in the automobile industry, and maybe the entire transportation industry, we have seen in the last 100 years.
Like I mentioned in another post, electric vehicles were invented back in the 1800s, they didn't survive because they couldn't be driven very far, and were quickly replaced by gas powered models. Time will tell if the public is ready to put up with the downsides of them in modern times, but I'm guessing they are not.

I think Tesla will end up being an urban/suburban niche vehicle and nothing more.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:43 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Many people like Tesla because they are a disrupter. Many of us have been waiting for a long time for the technology shift that was promised (both IRL and in fiction) but not delivered decades ago. Finally a few companies that innovate and break down the old systems come along and people with an eye for the future want their products.

Will a Tesla eliminate all smog soon? No, but the combined products of Electric Cars, fueled by Solar Energy with Battery technology that will allow the cars to be charged during off peak hours at about $4.00 a complete charge is one of the first stepping stones.

I believe some other people see a switch to electric vehicles as a way to also defund the terrorism sponsoring states (who get their money from us) and take power from OPEC. Also a good thing.

If I needed a new car soon, I would be buying a Tesla too.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:56 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Who reads consumer reports anymore? Senior citizens?
Funny, that's what Tesla haters were saying when CR gave them "best car ever tested" ratings. Now the shoe's on the other foot.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:07 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Many people like Tesla because they are a disrupter. Many of us have been waiting for a long time for the technology shift that was promised (both IRL and in fiction) but not delivered decades ago. Finally a few companies that innovate and break down the old systems come along and people with an eye for the future want their products.

Will a Tesla eliminate all smog soon? No, but the combined products of Electric Cars, fueled by Solar Energy with Battery technology that will allow the cars to be charged during off peak hours at about $4.00 a complete charge is one of the first stepping stones.

I believe some other people see a switch to electric vehicles as a way to also defund the terrorism sponsoring states (who get their money from us) and take power from OPEC. Also a good thing.

If I needed a new car soon, I would be buying a Tesla too.
OPEC has no special powers outside the laws of supply and demand. They may hate us and our ideology, but they'll gladly sell us oil at market prices. Current low oil prices are due to over speculation. If anything the misbelief that everybody is going to switch to EVs would under speculate, reduce oil production and drive up prices.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:43 AM

283 posts, read 260,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
How will it save your kids future when it's using coal fired power plants for electricity to charge the car?

And if you want to help the environment then start with stop wasting time on facebook and other useless sites like that. I read in one year the electricity usage was close to 700 million kwh for facebook servers and grows every year. So if you want to save the world cut out the useless electric usage before you try to do away with the combustion engine that serves a useful purpose. Actual more then useful it's life or death useful. Facebook is entertainment.
Coal usage has been dropping in the US since 2008.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:50 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
At this time, hybrid still makes more sense in terms of reliability and versatility over EV.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:25 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Reserving a car sight unseen is never a good idea. Reserving a completely new car from a manufacturer that has never built a car in the 35K price range is the height of silliness.

A fool and his money are soon parted.
Could you just imagine Tesla goes belly up and so does your $1000 deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive