Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 06:20 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I-93 in Boston about a year ago. During morning rush hour anarchists (under the black lives matter label) decided to cement themselves to cinder blocks and block the main highway heading into boston. A 20 min commute without traffic (1 hour on a normal day) turned into a 3 hour commute.
Oh I forgot the BLM protest in November 2014, the Tuesday night before Thanksgiving, in Times Square. My son's bus was stuck for about two hours getting from Newark Liberty Airport into Port Authority, going in the reverse direction from rush hour traffic. He was the relatively lucky one since there is a dedicated lane for buses in the Lincoln Tunnel. I got as far as 20 miles away and turned back after sitting an hour on the Hutchinson Parkway near Mamaroneck Avenue, and then getting no better results on I-95, the New England Thruway. It was all BLM traffic. My son wound up taking a Metro North train to Larchmont, where I picked him up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 07:14 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Tokyo

Old 06-21-2016, 11:42 AM

759 posts, read 637,322 times
Seattle traffic...

A couple years ago there was a concert at Safeco Field and a soccer game at CenturyLink Field. I believe it was a Friday... and I worked late that day.

Every downtown street was complete gridlock. Ever sit through 4-5 light cycles and not move? I did that day.

What is a 25 mile commute done on a normal day in 40-60 minutes from Seattle to Renton took 5 hours that day.

I wanted to choke someone to death...

Old 06-21-2016, 11:47 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
I had two that come to mind.

Several decades ago, I got stuck on the Tappan Zee Bridge southbound in NY (right in the middle) due to an accident off the bridge. We were stuck there for over 5 yours. Every car had engines turned off and most were just standing outside their vehicles hanging out.

Had a very similar incident on Rte 95 in FL south of Daytona Beach heading to West Palm Beach. Right after I passed an exit, a tractor trailer jackknifed and caused a mess with several vehicles. I was like 20 cars back, and in some really hot weather >90, we were stuck there for 4+ hours. Had to keep the car running on/off to keep it cool in the car for the kids and 2 birds.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:05 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,788 times
Stuck on a highway bridge over water for 3 hours with no movement, I have no idea why it took so long. There was a fatal accident involving someone on a motorcycle. A small boat passed under the bridge and I was tempted to ditch the car and pay the boat captain for passage.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:17 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Weatherman botched the forecast in metro Atlanta 2 years ago and said the snow would miss the city, but it didnt, so the end result was untreated roads with 1 inch of snow sitting on top of 1-2 inches of ice leading to a 4 hour commute home for me and 12-18 hours for some of my co workers.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:11 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,794,027 times
Evacuating Houston ahead of Hurricane Rita. A trip that normally took 3 hours took nearly 12...just getting from central Houston to the western edge of Katy took almost 6 hours.

A couple friends fared worse. One was heading to Oklahoma city...after nearly 48 hours on the road he gave up and found a hotel room in Dallas. Another was just trying to get to Dallas but ran out of gas on the way...traffic was so bad that he couldn't even get to a gas station.

I don't care if the next hurricane is a direct hit - I'm staying put!

Old 06-24-2016, 10:36 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,372,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Weatherman botched the forecast in metro Atlanta 2 years ago and said the snow would miss the city, but it didnt, so the end result was untreated roads with 1 inch of snow sitting on top of 1-2 inches of ice leading to a 4 hour commute home for me and 12-18 hours for some of my co workers.
No they didn't botch the forecast. They changed the forecast at about 3 AM, and the city, county, and state officials didn't take the change seriously. Once the snow started, all the school districts and many of the businesses closed at about the same time, sending everyone out on the untreated roads. By the time the snowplows got out on the road it was already too late. I almost stayed home that day, and I wished that I had.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:23 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,898 times
Two were in the DC area, one where a tractor trailer careened off an overpass and exploded on NB I-95.. It took three hours to get a few miles. Of course the 5 people he landed on never made it home that day.. One was a 3AM stoppage due to construction on 495... awful. Here I thought I was beating the traffic y leaving early
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive