Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 01:57 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,981,522 times

Advertisements

I've always wondered this. On the NJ local station (101.5) there is no shortage of goofy advertising utilizing cheesy gags, bad sound effects, and annoying banter by people claiming to be the owners of various area car dealerships. Is it typically the case where the actual owner is doing these commercials, or do they just hire some voice actor? One of the more famous ones in NJ is Brad Benson, a former NY Giants player whose commercials range from the bizarre to the risque, and the person in the commercials is definitely him, but others I'm not so sure of.

The Lehigh Valley in Pennsylvania (which I live just on the edge of) has two extremely annoying dealerships which run commercials constantly on the local stations. One of the guys (Gary Lee-Brown Daub Kia) sounds like someone gave him a shot to the pills and a balloon full of helium before he recorded his bit. Also, he seems to have recently become the "owner" because there was some other guy at the helm about two years ago calling himself "Tom Ring." So is it typically a paid pitchman, or do these guys just all have a little P.T. Barnum in them because that's the nature of the business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 02:32 PM

19,037 posts, read 27,614,590 times
Caught your attention though, right?
Here;s novel idea. Stop listening to those radio stations. If it annoys you that much.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:49 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
1 877 kars for kids k-a-r-s kars for kids! Donate your car today!

Old 04-06-2016, 03:55 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
arrrrrrgh this commercial drives me nuts, especially the cheesy guitar strumming leading up to the kid singing....

Old 04-06-2016, 04:35 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,678,258 times
I don't know about Brad Benson....but in several cases around here, the alleged celebrity "owner" is just being paid for the use of their name, to do a few commercials, and maybe a few paid "appearances" at the dealership per year.

But I guess it works and the moron customers actually think their beloved sports star sold them their car.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:55 PM

9,537 posts, read 16,525,000 times
I wondered about this also. There are a number of these loud mouths here in Fla. The one that sticks out the most is Fucillio Nissan. The guy seems to be the owner. He has either a NY or NJ accent. He is so obnoxious with his style, that I would never go to his dealership to buy a car. Someone told me he owns dealerships in Syracuse, and runs his mouth up there with local commercials. It amazes me dealers don't seem to care, this type of trash commercials cause them to lose business. Or they only attrack those having trouble getting finance. So yes I think some announcers own the dealerships.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:37 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,532,089 times
If the OP is from NJ, maybe they remember the Crazy Eddie commercials. It wasn't Crazy Eddie, (who went to jail for fraud), just a pitchman.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:57 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,981,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Caught your attention though, right? Here;s novel idea. Stop listening to those radio stations. If it annoys you that much.
The annoying nature of the commercials wasn't really the focus of the thread, or of any real concern. What I was genuinely curious about is whether or not these are actual owners who are part businessman, part flamboyant showman (kind of like one of the current Presidential contenders), or just paid pitchmen who pose as the owner, like the Crazy Eddie example that Blue Biker gives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
The song is annoying, and it's also somewhat of a scam:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kars4K...osure_concerns

Old 04-06-2016, 07:13 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,104,421 times
I've known a few dealership owners over the years, and yes, some of them DID do their own commercials. However, that was back in the 80's and 90's. Now, they hire good looking model types as the "face" of their dealership.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:45 PM

912 posts, read 1,286,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I wondered about this also. There are a number of these loud mouths here in Fla. The one that sticks out the most is Fucillio Nissan. The guy seems to be the owner. He has either a NY or NJ accent. He is so obnoxious with his style, that I would never go to his dealership to buy a car. Someone told me he owns dealerships in Syracuse, and runs his mouth up there with local commercials. It amazes me dealers don't seem to care, this type of trash commercials cause them to lose business. Or they only attrack those having trouble getting finance. So yes I think some announcers own the dealerships.
It's HUUUUUUUUUUGE!

His original dealership was in Watertown, up near the army base, I think. I had no idea he branched out that far. His commercials are legendary up there.

The annoying radio ad car salesman near where I live really isn't that bad, except his most recent commercial was a st. patrick's day commercial and his irish accent was terrible. I can only assume he's the actual owner because voice talent would not get paid for how bad it is. He accidentally slips into a different fake accent for at least a quarter of the commercial. I'm patiently awaiting its replacement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive