Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 11:06 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,255,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayr2go View Post
Hi guys, so my beloved passat (2004) gave up on me 3 days ago and the transmission requires replacement. Apparently the transmission clutch is damaged - i never knew there was a clutch in the transmission too.

The car's body and the engine are in a very good condition - have had it regularly served, no check engine light or leakage. It has about 150k+ miles on it.

I've posted it online for sale but have had no response so far. I was wondering whether anyone know how I could get the best sale for it? Its definitely for a mechanic who can fix it and keep it moving for another 10 years. Its far from being a junk vehicle.

I contacted one junk yard and they were offering $500 which is way below my expectation/desire. Anyone with suggestions/perspective?
Your best bet is to rebuild or replace the transmission and drive the car another 10 years. Alternatively, you could probably convert it from automatic to manual transmission for about the same price -- $3000 or a little more. I don't think 2004 Passats came with a manual gearbox in the US, but they did everywhere else, so the parts are available. I know Golf and Jetta owners do this swap all the time, as the automatics in those Mk4 VWs were not very durable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 12:26 PM

296 posts, read 440,331 times
Thanks guys, yes - I posted online on craigslist and I was looking just over $2k for it considering that once the transmission is in, it has no other real issues (not known anyway) - no engine leaks nothing.

If I think of it, the car still has a undamaged body and a running engine with no leaks - so $500 sounds extremely low unless you're looking at scrapping it and then you're looking only at the cost of metal its worth.

And yes, I was quoted at least $2k by an independent mechanic whom i've had the car serviced from previously as well and he seems to have good reputation in the area.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:41 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,581,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
Your best bet is to rebuild or replace the transmission and drive the car another 10 years. Alternatively, you could probably convert it from automatic to manual transmission for about the same price -- $3000 or a little more. I don't think 2004 Passats came with a manual gearbox in the US, but they did everywhere else, so the parts are available. I know Golf and Jetta owners do this swap all the time, as the automatics in those Mk4 VWs were not very durable.
i will never understand putting $3000 into a car worth $250.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:44 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,581,942 times
Quote:
Thanks guys, yes - I posted online on craigslist and I was looking just over $2k for it considering that once the transmission is in, it has no other real issues (not known anyway) - no engine leaks nothing.

If I think of it, the car still has a undamaged body and a running engine with no leaks - so $500 sounds extremely low unless you're looking at scrapping it and then you're looking only at the cost of metal its worth.

And yes, I was quoted at least $2k by an independent mechanic whom i've had the car serviced from previously as well and he seems to have good reputation in the area.
So you are asking for $2k for a car with no transmission for a car worth between $250 and $900 WORKING?

Geez, I gotta start selling real estate on the moon or waterfront Arizona Bay property on Craigslist instead of working.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:41 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,255,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
i will never understand putting $3000 into a car worth $250.
First off, the OP says the car has no other issues. So, fix the tranny and what you have is a car that can go another 100k or 200k miles.

Alternatively, spend the $3000 on some other car, that may appear okay in every respect but probably isn't.

The car I use for work probably is worth no more than $1500 if I was going to sell it, or about the same if I dismantled it and sold off the parts. But I put about 55,000 miles a year on it. Last year I spent over $7000 on maintenance and repairs, or about 14 cents a mile. Fuel was another 6 or 7 cents a mile -- counting some miscellaneous items, it cost me about 22.5 cents a mile. Insurance was minimal, depreciation was zero.

Nothing lasts forever -- I know. That's why I have another car, that will someday become my daily driver. But until someone can show me another car that will stand up to 50k+ miles a year of bad roads, and only cost me 22.5 cents/mile to operate, I'm keeping this one.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:37 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,158,853 times
There are certain things you don't do in this world, dumping a ton money into a 12 year old broken VW is one of them. At this point the car is crusher meat and nothing more.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:14 AM

9,603 posts, read 31,742,759 times
Quote:
Hi guys, so my beloved passat (2004) gave up on me 3 days ago and the transmission requires replacement. Apparently the transmission clutch is damaged - i never knew there was a clutch in the transmission too.

The car's body and the engine are in a very good condition - have had it regularly served, no check engine light or leakage. It has about 150k+ miles on it.

I've posted it online for sale but have had no response so far. I was wondering whether anyone know how I could get the best sale for it? Its definitely for a mechanic who can fix it and keep it moving for another 10 years. Its far from being a junk vehicle.

I contacted one junk yard and they were offering $500 which is way below my expectation/desire. Anyone with suggestions/perspective?
It has always been my very limited experience that the cost of most repairs / maintenance are more than rewarded at the time of sale.

If your vehicle is, as you stated; "The car's body and the engine are in very good condition" . . . why not have the transmission repaired and either drive it or reap the profits from a well maintained vehicle?

Good Luck.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:03 AM

13,288 posts, read 8,488,520 times
Call around to metal crushing places, they should be able to give you todays market price.

I'd suggest removing the catalytic converter and any vested item that can be sold separate to recoup some money.

even some parts that you think are not "worth" value, have big value to the person who can't find the product anymore thru their dealer....Front bumper? Back bumper? Console panel...all those little things can be sold separate.....Just an idea....

An associate of mine had an old station wagon...a dealership begged him to sell it to them....to the average Joe, it was a gas hog and way to meaty, He held out and got 6k for it....and the over hyped Kelly book had it fetching 1400$ at best.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:11 AM

8,368 posts, read 6,465,628 times
I had to list a car I sold on Craigslist for awhile before it sold. You may have to reduce the price until it sells.
Also make sure when you renew your ad that its there, I had some trouble because I wasn't doing it right.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:49 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,946,819 times
Quote:

Um, you really need to keep taking your meds.. Like everyone has said, get rid of the car for $500...

Seriously??? 2K for that car in that condition....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive