Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 11:47 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovepoker View Post
great advice everyone. The blazer does have a few other little things that aren't a big deal I don't think. The air conditioner isn't cold at all but I don't drive it a lot so I am not pressed on that. The heater randomly works lol so weird. Not too pressed on that either because the seats are heated and they work really well haha. Other than that no other problem just maintenance. I'm just worried once the mechanic gets in there it will get more expensive but, you all are right. It will still be cheaper than something else. I was always one to trade a vehicle when something that seemed big to me went wrong but now that I am on a fixed income I really shouldn't do that unless I'm going to get something that's not really old. I just have to get better at saving. I suck at saving. My mom sucked at saving lol. Kinda hard to save on 1500 a month with 2 kids still living here. I do save a little every month but not much.
Time for the kids to start contributing toward the bills, if they're in their 20's and still living at home and your income is so low. But that's a topic for a different thread

The AC is expensive to fix, the heater maybe not so much. It could just be a switch. Chevys have lots of little glitches like that.

Have the mechanic call you with the price before he does the work, after he's looked at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 12:26 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
We have had lots of beater vehicles in the 150,000 to 200,000 mile range. All kinds of brands/models. There are a few to avoid like mid 90s to mid 2000s Caravans and Town & Country, but otherwise you are just as well off with one kind as another All makes/models are going to have lots of little problems and can possibly have big problems at that level. The trick is to find cars for $1000 or less so you just scrap them and get a different one if yours breaks. Keep in mind the more things a car has (AWD, electric windows/locks, computer thingies, etc), the more you have that can break. Only a very few things will actually totally incapacitate a car and at that age and wear level every brand is equally likely to have or not have a killing failure. One other thing to watch for some cars like BMW, Volvo and Subaru have very expensive parts. So, if something important breaks you may be done even if it is not that big a deal for most cars. Also a lot of things that break you can just bypass and keep driving it (cat converters, power steering pump, O2 sensor, electric windows, in some cases 4wd, leaking exhaust, rust, pretty much anything in the interior).

Car we have had over 150,000 miles:

Ford Ranger x 2
Volvo V70
Chevy Express van (x3)
Subaru
Mazda RX7
Chevy Camaro
Saturn Ion
Lincoln Town Car
Mercury Merkur
Ford F-150
Toyota Camry
Honda Civic
VW Squareback
Ford Contour SVT
Subaru XT Turbo (you will not find any of these left today)
Ford Thunderbird (x2)

Did not make it to 100,000
Hyundai Excel
Dodge Caravan (x2)
Dodge Town & Country
Toyota Carolla
Pontiac Sunbird
Jensen Healey
Ford Explorer
Chevy Bronco
Chrysler Maserati

Old 06-09-2016, 03:41 PM

50 posts, read 49,222 times
great list ty Anyone have any experience with a Mazda 6?

Old 06-09-2016, 04:03 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
In the name if the father, son, and the holy Toyota...T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive