Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 05:07 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,597,980 times

Advertisements

Who will pay to maintain the roadways? I live in PA and I pay roughly .60 cents per gallon in state and fed taxes that go to maintaining the roads. So at least $15 of every fill up goes out to tax. If electric car owners don't buy gas they don't pay to maintain the roads so who will? So the happy "old school but proven school" combustion engine owners will pick up the tab for the freeloaders?lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 05:26 PM

149 posts, read 226,947 times
Many states are already considering the option of adding or changing road taxes to miles put on a car from year to year based on odometer readings at an inspection. Issue with this is how does one go about paying or even verifying time spent driving in other states? Another option will likely be chargers for electric cars having to be gov't approved with meters to track consumption. Definitely presents some new challenges.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:29 PM

17,335 posts, read 12,292,973 times
Yeah they're already experimenting with pay per mile taxes here in Oregon.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,368,328 times
That will not be a problem. In our state there is an additional tax on electric vehicles already, $100 collected at the time of annual registration renewal. That's the equivalent of the tax on about 227 gallons of gas, or 7,000 miles driven on a car getting 30 mpg. As more electrics are in use, they will just raise that.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:49 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,788,854 times
An additional $64 fee applies to electric vehicles in VA.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:04 PM

3,705 posts, read 4,862,670 times
No worries. I'm sure our government (both the states and federal) will come up with a way to tax the hell out of them to get their money! They are well experienced in adding extra taxes so an electric car will not be much of a challenge!

Old 07-08-2016, 07:49 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,599,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Who will pay to maintain the roadways? I live in PA and I pay roughly .60 cents per gallon in state and fed taxes that go to maintaining the roads. So at least $15 of every fill up goes out to tax. If electric car owners don't buy gas they don't pay to maintain the roads so who will? So the happy "old school but proven school" combustion engine owners will pick up the tab for the freeloaders?lol
Oh they will figure out a way to get the money for roads. They will simply raise registration rates or simply have a mandatory safety inspection where they keep track of your mileage.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:29 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,081,574 times
I wont drive an electric, but I'm cool with them paying less to maintain roads. Mostly because I doubt I will see an electric weighed down hauling, towing, or using snow chains.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,113,665 times
A per mile tax based on the expected average weight of the vehicle is ideal, do it for every vehicle. GPS can be used but should not be required. Many states have yearly inspections and it can be recorded there, if not they would have to implement some kind of annual record. The tax should probably be paid quarterly using estimates. Any car sold/scrapped would have to have the tax paid before it could be sold. Hold up future registrations for delinquents.

This gets a little difficult for commercial trucks because their weight varies substantially. I wouldn't mind seeing increased taxes on trucks since they cause the most damage. You'll pay more for the products you use however that tax cost is spread over everyone whether they drive or not. More long haul freight will move to rail where it belongs and when combined with tax on trucks being spread across the population the motoring public long term will pay less for roads.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:48 AM

24,565 posts, read 18,318,569 times
I think a usage-based toll transponder is a more fair way to pay for roads than a mileage-based fee. If you frequently drive on out-of-state roads, you should be paying. If you drive on highly congested roads that are costly to maintain, you should be paying more per mile than someone driving on rural interstate highways. My view is biased from living in New England where the states are bunched close together and where there is a huge difference between an urban commuter and the load they put on highways and an off hours mostly rural driver. Those drivers could live next to each other. One commutes across the state line into urban traffic every day. The other does long rural drives racking up the same mileage.

I have an EZPass transponder. I'm already used to usage-based. I think the usage based fees should also change based on congestion or time-of-day. If my usage is part of the problem causing the traffic jam, I should be paying for it. It should be much cheaper to do the same drive off-hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive