Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 10:00 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
I'm sure there is some research, but I'm guessing it should be virtually no negative impact to engine life. The thinking that starting a car is bad for the engine relates to the fact the engine is cold and most of the oil has dripped back down out of the engine. In these cases, the engine is warm, and for the most part the lubrication will still hold for the 60 seconds at a stop-light. Modern auto engine building technology (bearings, crank, etc) combined with oil being better than ever, should really minimize that. Balance any minor wear with the fact that for an equivalent mileage motor, the engine has done less work and perhaps there is even an increase.

The starter is another thing all together however. Manufacturers have taken different approaches to this, with the most common being a heavier duty starter to handle the extra cycles. Time will tell if they've done it right, but we haven't see widespread reports of starter failure. I would think the one area that hasn't been engineered into this equation is battery wear, as the batter is clearly doing more work in these cases (although again, the manufacturers claim they have engineered in some efficiencies in the starting process as well).

Wonder how it is on a turbo charged car ? Come off the freeway from a 3 hour trip , get stopped at a light and the motor shuts off. Doesn't seem like it would be good.
I personally can't stand them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 10:09 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Wonder how it is on a turbo charged car ? Come off the freeway from a 3 hour trip , get stopped at a light and the motor shuts off. Doesn't seem like it would be good.
I personally can't stand them.

Turbo cooling is not like the old days where one add a turbo timer to their turbo cars.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:24 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times
One thing I recently noticed. The A/C kicks off when this happens. With a string of 90+ degree days here in Denver, I've been turning the stop-start off LOL.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:02 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
One thing I recently noticed. The A/C kicks off when this happens. With a string of 90+ degree days here in Denver, I've been turning the stop-start off LOL.

As I said on the previous page, it turns itself back on to run the AC, and often won't actually stop if the AC is working hard enough. But, typical modern AC runs cold air for quite a while after the car shuts down with the key on, so it's not really the issue that some of you make it out to be.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:28 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,765,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
As I've said before, my car automatically restarts if I sit too long at a light and the A/C isn't able to cool like it should. The flow of air is lessened when the car shuts off, but the temperature remains cold.

Given that it's routinely over 100 where I live right now, I don't see how this feature is a problem for so many people.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:27 PM

464 posts, read 804,389 times
The VW we rented in Scotland for our UK vacation a month ago had stop/start technology. It was very odd hearing the starter engage after each green light.

I would imagine it would cut the lifespan of a starter in half. I wouldn't imagine car companies would invest in making them last longer, just enough to make it through the warranty....

Old 07-20-2016, 03:15 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountrywinefan View Post
The VW we rented in Scotland for our UK vacation a month ago had stop/start technology. It was very odd hearing the starter engage after each green light.

I would imagine it would cut the lifespan of a starter in half. I wouldn't imagine car companies would invest in making them last longer, just enough to make it through the warranty....
Well, you'd be wrong. The starters being used for this tech are indeed more robust. Take a look at one, sometime.

And in many cases, a starter isn't even used. The engine is cut off when it's just past TDC and then started again by injecting a bit of fuel and spark to kick it going again.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:13 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
I bet the battery life is shortened dramatically with this. It takes a lot of amps to turn an engine over.

I would never own a car with this feature just for the simple fact of annoyance and worry of the car not starting up in the middle of traffic. Who wants to hear their car stop and start every red light they come to? that would get extremely annoying to me.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:29 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I bet the battery life is shortened dramatically with this. It takes a lot of amps to turn an engine over.

I would never own a car with this feature just for the simple fact of annoyance and worry of the car not starting up in the middle of traffic. Who wants to hear their car stop and start every red light they come to? that would get extremely annoying to me.

More and more vehicles will be using this technology. On the bright side, there will be ways to circumvent the process and keep your vehicle running all the time.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:34 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,974,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Actually, any car with the AC running will start the engine again if the temp gets too high in the car, as most cars have climate control not merely AC. Our MINI never gets hot inside when using the start stop feature as it wont' actually stop if the AC is working hard. the systems are tied together through the ECU.

This topic comes up on a fairly regular basis around here and most people simply don't understand how it works.
I didn't have that. Maybe cause it was in its early stage of hybrid or maybe it was just the Civic.
It defintely did not stay cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive